Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Curse of Bill Walsh
Walsh was passed over in favor of Bill "Tiger" Johnson for the head coaching job when Brown retired. In a 2006 interview, Walsh said Brown worked against his candidacy to be a head coach anywhere in the league. "All the way through I had opportunities, and I never knew about them", Walsh said. "And then when I left him, he called whoever he thought was necessary to keep me out of the NFL."[135] Brown stayed on as team president after stepping down as head coach, and the Bengals later made two trips to the Super Bowl, losing both games to Walsh and the 49ers.[136] He rarely appeared in public, however. He died on August 5, 1991 at home of complications from pneumonia.[137]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Brown
Reply/Quote
More:

Not everyone in the NFL had such faith in Walsh's decisions. He was a Cincinnati Bengals assistant for seven seasons under legendary coach Paul Brown but was passed over in favor of Bill "Tiger" Johnson when Brown retired in 1975. Walsh, who subsequently resigned, said Brown "worked against my candidacy" to be a head coach anywhere in the league.

"All the way through I had opportunities, and I never knew about them," he said. "And then when I left him, he called whoever he thought was necessary to keep me out of the NFL."

Was it jealousy?

"I can't say," said Walsh, who didn't get his first NFL head-coaching job until he was 47. "He did that to other people too, it wasn't just me. But I was probably the most blatant one."

Of course, Walsh got the last laugh. His 49ers never lost to the Bengals, beating them five consecutive times, including twice in Super Bowls.

https://www.webcitation.org/68oEiJ50X
Reply/Quote
If true that's some bad karma. Messing with a man's livelihood like that isn't cool. Reprehensible, actually...
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We have so many curses you would think PBS has a satanic church it it’s basement, which is built on a burial ground with the outside landscaping mulched with pieces of discarded quija boards.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 12:15 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We have so many curses you would think PBS has a satanic church it it’s basement, which is built on a burial ground with the outside landscaping mulched with pieces of discarded quija boards.

Nah man...there is no curse of Bill Walsh, or Bo Jackson, or even Woody Harrelson. LOL

The only true curse is Paul's incompetent seedling...

[Image: QYZPWHWZ5RD5HCRQNAEUWEP4Y4.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 12:06 PM)SladeX Wrote: If true that's some bad karma. Messing with a man's livelihood like that isn't cool. Reprehensible, actually...

I am not buying Bill's story.  

Mike Brown might have kept him with the Bengals when other teams came calling, but he had a right to do that.  Paul just wanted the best coaches to stay with the Bengals.

Walsh got pissed at Paul when Tiger Johnson got the head coaching job, but Bill immediately got another job with an NFL team.  However one year later he quit on the Chargers to take a college head coaching job.  If he had so may "opporunities" with other NFL teams then why did he leave for college.  He can't blame Paul for something that happened when he was with another team (Chargers).

I think it may be a case of sour grapes over Tiger Johnson getting the head coaching job.
Reply/Quote