Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dalton Dilemma
(04-23-2019, 11:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, Mahomes lasted until 10, and Watson 12.

and Mahommes & Watson were both Traded UP for.

Multiple picks were involved for each of them including the next year's 1st round pick plus the 1st round pick of their draft year.

My view on this is to remain open minded should a QB the Bengals consider to be Franchise caliber just be sitting their at pick #11.

Getting one without having the High Trade Up cost of draft picks in place for 5 years is a viable option & Dalton can be retained for one or two of those 5 years while the rookie develops.

Stay open minded, let the drafts come to them & maybe pull the trigger if the right guy is there.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 11:39 AM)jj22 Wrote: Do people really want to put a statue (Haskins) behind this line?

Build the trenches, plug in a franchise QB.

If a QB is there at 11, it says something about this class (weak). Franchise QB's shouldn't last until 11.

Ben Roethlisberger was a number 11 pick so I guess people can be wrong on the talent evaluations. Sometimes you can't get a plug in franchise QB (see Cleveland)
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 11:39 AM)jj22 Wrote: Do people really want to put a statue (Haskins) behind this line?

If a QB is there at 11, it says something about this class (weak). Franchise QB's shouldn't last until 11.

But Dalton went 4-1 behind this o-line? That's a 12-4 pace! 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Where did Brady get drafted again???? I think if Haskins is there, we will take him and groom him to be a backup until if and when he surpasses Dalton..... or, for trade value. If he's not there, I think we probably grab a backup QB in the 4th-6th rounds.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 01:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Where did Brady get drafted again???? I think if Haskins is there, we will take him and groom him to be a backup until if and when he surpasses Dalton..... or, for trade value. If he's not there, I think we probably grab a backup QB in the 4th-6th rounds.

Mike Brown came out and said that Dalton has to "re-establish himself" in order to get an extension.

This tells me that the wheels are turning in Mike Brown's head about the future of the QB position but I'm not sure how much that will impact this 2019 Draft.

The door could be slightly open for a Haskins pick in round one should he slide. Not so sure they would trade up for him though.

Re-establish implies that he is not considered established firmly in his job right now by Mike.

This could be for motivation purposes or an ultimatum.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 01:25 PM)depthchart Wrote: Mike Brown came out and said that Dalton has to "re-establish himself" in order to get an extension.

This tells me that the wheels are turning in Mike Brown's head about the future of the QB position but I'm not sure how much that will impact this 2019 Draft.

The door could be slightly open for a Haskins pick in round one should he slide. Not so sure they would trade up for him though.

Re-establish implies that he is not considered established firmly in his job right now by Mike.

This could be for motivation purposes or an ultimatum.

well it only makes sense... New HC  New System...  See if the QB fits before offering an extension...

Doubt we trade up in round 1 too expensive.. But we probly do trade down if who we covet is gone and we can get better value a little later.

Even if we draft a guy on thrusday (QB) its very doubtful they start day 1
Reply/Quote
Haskins can really throw the rock. I like what he did last year. I’m hoping he won’t throw it into the stands on 4th down like Dalton. It’s much easier now to be quarterback as well. Coaches speak to them until 15 seconds on snap clock. We’ve seen enough of Dalton.
Reply/Quote
With regards to fixing the OL - the past few drafts have been weak at this position and next years prospects are even worse than this year. I have no specific answer for this other than we probably need to throw more picks at the OL position and keep the good guys we do have from leaving.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 10:17 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Why fix what is not nearly as broken as other areas? You can't argue Dalton is worse than our OL. You can't argue Dalton is worse than our LBs.

If he isn't effective since 2015 why is this his highest trade value?

I dont agree that a QB leads you to either the Superbowl nor toilet bowl by himself... ever hear people say defense wins championships?

I think you're missing the point. 

If we could continue to keep Dalton at the rate we are currently paying him, I think many of us would agree that we would keep him. At this point though hes going to be getting PAID when he hits free agency after next year. So, do you want to pay him that money or draft a quarterback who could mimic his production at a fraction of the cost? 

If it were me, I would be drafting his replacement this year or next. Many good teams these days are built around a budget quarterback at a rookie contract and using the money saved to enhance other areas of their teams.

I heard a stat somewhere where it was like the top 9 highest paid quarterbacks in the league missed the playoffs this year?  
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 11:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: we got things to fix before a new QB will help to much...  We could be drafting one but I still think Dalton is the starter this season.

It depends what the Bengals trying to do. Are we trying to compete this year or are we building for the future? If its for the future then the other parts of the team don't matter much (and you would almost think the Bengals agree with their pathetic attempts to upgrade any part of the team in FA).

The Bengals are in a weird spot. They could completely blow it up and stock pile picks with trades and draft a QB of the future this year or they could try and compete with what they have (we have seen this movie before). 
Reply/Quote

This is a horrible take. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady would disagree. 
Reply/Quote

Yeah, but we would be replacing the 35th pick QB with the 11th pick QB...so...improvement? 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 10:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm fine with getting a QB who is markedly better than Dalton.
With that said, I'm not highly confident anyone from this draft class will be that.
I have higher confidence in Tua Tagovailoa next year or Trevor Lawrence the year after. Yes, it might mean having to trade away draft capital to get them, but it's better than taking a riskier QB in a poor draft class this year.

As Fred said, the Bengals have Dalton for two more years, so there's no rush to find a replacement this year. If you find one that you think will be a Top 10 QB in the NFL, go for it. But don't just take a QB at 11 this year because of perceived value and fear of not drafting in the Top 5 or 10 in 2020 or 2021. Trades can always happen. The Bengals traded up to take Ki-Jana Carter 1st overall back in 1995, so they aren't completely against trading up in the 1st round if they really want someone.

I will have more confidence in Tua if he stays healthy this year. Can't deny that he has the talent though.
Reply/Quote
"Dalton hasn't been effective since 2015"

I wonder what has changed over the last 3 seasons? Mellow

[Image: giants-sack-dalton-jim-mcisaac.jpg?w=500]
[Image: andy-dalton-sacked-ap-1476499814.jpg?cro...size=640:*]

https://www.wlwt.com/article/bengals-andy-dalton-getting-sacked-at-alarming-rate/6245825

[Image: dalton.jpg]
[Image: Ahtyba+Rubin+Andy+Dalton+Cincinnati+Beng...Ngbopl.jpg]
[Image: 800.jpeg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 02:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: "Dalton hasn't been effective since 2015"

I wonder what has changed over the last 3 seasons?  Mellow

[Image: giants-sack-dalton-jim-mcisaac.jpg?w=500]
[Image: andy-dalton-sacked-ap-1476499814.jpg?cro...size=640:*]

https://www.wlwt.com/article/bengals-andy-dalton-getting-sacked-at-alarming-rate/6245825

[Image: dalton.jpg]
[Image: Ahtyba+Rubin+Andy+Dalton+Cincinnati+Beng...Ngbopl.jpg]
[Image: 800.jpeg]

Dalton took a team-friendly deal to get ground into the turf.  Lordy loo...
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 12:59 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Ben Roethlisberger was a number 11 pick so I guess people can be wrong on the talent evaluations. Sometimes you can't get a plug in franchise QB (see Cleveland)

Roethlisberger was also the third QB taken behind Rivers and Eli. He also played in the MAC, not a Power 5 conference.
Roethlisberger had 3 years of college experience too, not just one like Haskins.

Roethlisberger dropping to 11 wouldn't be the same reasons that Haskins would.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I love being mediocre. Let’s keep Dalton
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 02:21 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote:  So, do you want to pay him that money or draft a quarterback who could mimic his production at a fraction of the cost? 

The problem is finding a QB who can mimic his production.

Of the 24 QBs taken in the first round since we got Andy in 2011 only 7 have a higher passer rating than him.

There is a good reason QBs are paid so much.  If it was as simple as just drafting a guy and building around a cheap rookie contract that would be what all the good teams do, but they don't.  Instead they pay the good QBs to stay.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 02:44 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I love being mediocre.  Let’s keep Dalton

Dalton gives us the best chance to be better than mediocre.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 02:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton gives us the best chance to be better than mediocre.

WAit remember back in 2015 Dalton played like a pro bowler until he threw that pick n got injured- Bengal fans in the year 2027.
Reply/Quote