Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dalton Dilemma
(04-24-2019, 12:28 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: LOL

Some people will not give up on giving up on Andy

Let's use your own logic

Is either one of their OT top 15? No? Is either one of their OT in the high teens? No? Need to draft OT before drafting QB.
Are all three of their LB top 15? No? Are any of their LB ranked in the high teens? No? Need to draft LB before drafting QB.

Also, many great NFL QBs would not have been great with Marvin Clewless as their HC for their entire career. Trying to compare QBs stats without factoring in HC is pointless. Would Brady have 5 rings if ML was in New England for his entire career? I would think not.

He’s had those before. Whit was arguably the 2nd best LT in the league behind Joe Thomas. Burfict was a top LB for a handful of years. We had one of the best rosters in the league from 2013-2015.

I wish I believed it was all Marvin holding us back, but I guess we’ll find out...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 12:55 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So exactly when is it going to be ok to talk and that is what this is just talk, about moving on from a mediocre QB who has failed miserably with GOOD teams. Every Dalton supporter wants to act like we have had no talent what so ever in his tenure. While I agree that the last three years aren't all his fault you can't be blind to the fact that he is a decent QB and will probably never be a great one here. The FO did almost nothing to make the line better to help him to be at his best. He will be a FA after next year and taking someone who COULD possibly step into his role should some other team value him more than we do.

Why did you feel the need to put in "never be a great one here"?

It appears you are struggling if the issues are AD's talent or the talent and coaching he had around him.

If AD can't win here, why can a guy who is not a top 10 NFL pick guaranteed to be better or be able to win HERE?

I am not trolling you, I asking a legitimate question.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 11:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I recall us trading Boomer to the Jets and Palmer to the Raiders and them going 4-12, but hey, maybe we trade Dalton and he leads the Dolphins/Redskins/etc to 4 SB titles.

Actually Boomer went 8-8 in his first year with the Jets, narrowly missing the playoffs. Boomer personally went from a 57.0 rating with the Bengals to an 84.5 rating with the Jets, making his first Pro Bowl in 4 years.

Palmer wound up having a resurgence under Bruce Arians, making his first Pro Bowl in 9 years and setting career highs in yards, TD's and rating. Of course he also won a playoff game.

So it wouldn't shock me at all if Dalton had more success with another franchise. Probably not with the Raiders or Bucs though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 01:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why did you feel the need to put in "never be a great one here"?

It appears you are struggling if the issues are AD's talent or the talent and coaching he had around him.

If AD can't win here, why can a guy who is not a top 10 NFL pick guaranteed to be better or be able to win HERE?

I am not trolling you, I asking a legitimate question.

I emphasized the word COULD. I would say that Dalton could still win here but being prepared for the worse case scenario would be advised. If zac thinks that the lb or ol puts them in the best position to win now I'm all for it. I won't be disappointed if he drafts a QB either. I don't really believe Haskins or Murray will be their at 11 so all this talk is probably going to be a moot point but its fun to discuss the possibilities. 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 01:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Actually Boomer went 8-8 in his first year with the Jets, narrowly missing the playoffs. Boomer personally went from a 57.0 rating with the Bengals to an 84.5 rating with the Jets, making his first Pro Bowl in 4 years.

Palmer wound up having a resurgence under Bruce Arians, making his first Pro Bowl in 9 years and setting career highs in yards, TD's and rating. Of course he also won a playoff game.

So it wouldn't shock me at all if Dalton had more success with another franchise. Probably not with the Raiders or Bucs though.

Arians is in Tampa now though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 02:38 PM)jason Wrote: Arians is in Tampa now though.

Ha. Didn't even think of that. That'd make Dalton to Tampa very interesting. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I am no Dalton fan, but he is the least of the teams worries. IF and I do say IF, the crack scouting staff and coaches feel one of the QB's is the next best thing by all means pick him. But if they do, they had better sit him behind Dalton until the damn OL is fixed.

Dalton has a ceiling but he also has a floor and with huge holes at LB and OL along with a whole new system for both sides of the ball it will be a chore to just be an average team this year. One OL or one LB picked at #11 will help but wont cure all ills. The decision on the QB at #11 or even in round 2 is really about the internal time frame for a reset. I find it hard to believe though that Zac would already rule out Dalton, i am sure he wants to wait and see for a season much as the Tree Sloth indicated. After this year they will know how he performs within the new system. Therefore, the QB candidate would have to be a clear cut hand down elite potential guy (in THEIR minds, not necessarily our minds).
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 02:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is a horrible take. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady would disagree. 

I don't think neither are the rule. Exceptions yes.

Also Watson is overrated and the jury is still out on him.

Not sure if it's been posted yet, just catching up, but only 3 qb's in recent decade of drafts are starting after being drafted 1st round after only 1 year college experience.

Newton
Sanchez
Trubisky.

History isn't on Haskins side.

Next years draft is far better. Not sure why the rush..... Let's not be one of the stupid teams that take a qb in this weak draft (where the best qb by far is 5'10, and if not taken 1 overall we may not even see a qb in the top 10) and let a top defender fall to the smart teams.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'm not sold on these threads. These are the same folks who would have cut Dalton for McCarron and Driskel (before he got some starts and everyone came back down to earth) claiming that they were better than Dalton.

Can we really trust Bengals boards scouting of QB's?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote