Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The (Dalton-less) Overrated Player Thread
Now look, spare me the whole "why no Dalton" talk, ok? I get that there are plenty of people around these parts who would happily throw his name out there first and foremost if I started this thread... which is why we're going to leave him out of this. There are already 897 threads on here you can go whine and complain about Andy Dalton on these boards, so maybe we can leave that conservation at the door in this one, okay?

So... out of all the current Bengals on the roster, who do you personally feel is overrated? Is there someone who you've never understood the hype for? Someone that everyone seems to love that you can't stand? Now is the time to share and discuss!

I'll post my answer in a reply below. Interested in reading thoughts from others.
Reply/Quote
My personal answer is Shawn Williams.

He seems to be relatively well thought of around here. I believe he's been scored well on PFF in the past, which holds a lot of weight with some. I don't think he's terrible or anything, but... I don't think he's very good, either, and I think I'd like to see what C-Fed could do in his place.

Here's why:
1) Shawn has a bit of a knack for stupid penalties (personal fouls), even getting himself thrown out of a game last year on a dirty hit.
2) Every time I notice him he seems to be chasing the play. I get that I only notice it because they're bad plays and it's easy to overlook when he does fine, but it's just my personal experience watching the guy.
3) I get the impression he plays overly aggressive at times which contributes to #2 when he ends up getting burnt.

I've just never been much of a fan of his.
Reply/Quote
WJ3 for me. I think he is good enough in general, but I think the splash or game changing plays are sorely lacking and hisnl position is one that should be making them. Him being the #1 guy in the 2ndary, his growth in that area has been dissapoonting.
Reply/Quote
I will not pick on any rookies because after all, they have limited sample evidence. But I think Rodney Anderson has made his case to be 3rd RB just from observing the Giant's game. I just think his balance and body leaning and field vision are special. If he stays healthy, what a draft pick value.

With regard to vets, Jefferson who was rated fairly high with raw skills. The backer may need more time for the lights to go on, but I do not see this occurring as a Bengal. He will probable get cut and the Patriots will develop him into a solid contributor on special teams at the very least.

I am not feeling it with Hopkins. I know he played very well last year at Center, but to my eyes, this year Hopkins has been inconsistent. I think Jordan is a better LG and I think Price is significantly better at Center. Hopkins should make the team, and is a valuable back-up.

I thought Miller (RG) was rated a plus on rush blocking but I am not seeing any movement.

I understand the John Ross pick. He is fast, can go on the fly route and score TDs. Ross can score, that is certain. But can he play or is he going to have nagging injuries through out his career. I forget. Can he catch the ball? I don't remember. I wanted OJ Howard at that slotted pick. I want Ross to play and be successful. But Should Ross take a spot from let's say, Willis? Malone? Core?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's hard to think of anybody. What's that say?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
AJ Green
Reply/Quote
Carlos Dunlap. I hate saying it but it's true.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:37 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: AJ Green

because of injuries or dropped passes? 

He's about the only player we have on offense who I'd consider to be "rated" at all. And I don't think he's overrated. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Geno and Mixon. Jeeze if you want to talk about guys who have done absolutely jack shit in the very important preseason action. How are we supposed to make the playoffs if we can't even win preseason games?

No but seriously. I have been misunderstood before on here even after making absolutely dumb ass comments that should have been obviously understood as sarcastic. So for that one (or maybe more) person who didn't get that... It was a joke.

Eifert... Dude has topped 40 catches 500 yards and 6 TDs once in his career. Its hurts me to say... Sorry nvm I don't want to talk about anybody being hurt. But its hard to be a good team when you are counting on a guy to be good who is consistently not producing like a high quality NFL player. PS, did I mention Gio?
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:40 AM)Shady Wrote: because of injuries or dropped passes? 

He's about the only player we have on offense who I'd consider to be "rated" at all. And I don't think he's overrated. 

Mixon is a star in this league now. Leading a conference in rushing puts you on everyone’s radar.

As to AJ being overrated? That’s beyond silly. If anything him and Geno are underrated outside of Cincinnati. I don’t feel either has gotten the attention they would if they played for a more popular franchise. Yes they’ve gone to plenty of Pro Bowls, but I’m talking more media attention, and being household names to casual football fans.

My pick for overrated will not be popular...but I’d say maybe Gio is a tad overrated by our fans. I like Gio a lot, he’s a great blocker, can catch, etc, but some act like he could be starting on any team in the league, and that’s definitely not the case. He’s a really good #2 though.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:39 AM)Synric Wrote: Carlos Dunlap. I hate saying it but it's true.

I was close to saying his name. But I gave him the veteran benefit of the doubt. Then I looked and realized he has had double digit sacks once in his 9 year career. And the way he was lollygagging around the field tonight. Its easy to see why.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 02:04 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I was close to saying his name. But I gave him the veteran benefit of the doubt. Then I looked and realized he has had double digit sacks once in his 9 year career. And the way he was lollygagging around the field tonight. Its easy to see why.

He’s never put up crazy numbers, but he’s consistently good. 72.5 is a lot of sacks. Pretty sure he leads the franchise.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 02:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s never put up crazy numbers, but he’s consistently good. 72.5 is a lot of sacks. Pretty sure he leads the franchise.

True, he leads all those Super Bowl winners
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 02:11 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: True, he leads all those Super Bowl winners

Ok smart ass how about where he stands all time across the league, which is 85th.

Top 100 ain’t bad is it? And top 10 out of active players.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 02:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ok smart ass how about where he stands all time across the league, which is 85th.

It felt like a smart ass comment when I wrote it. And it actually hurt a little inside to write.

Maybe we should start expecting more. Hopefully ZT demands a little more. Because being happy with what we have had has got us exactly zero championships. And not to pick on Dunlap because I expect he will play his ass off when the season starts. But his hustle and effort level at the beginning of the game was absolutely pitiful. And if that bullshit weak ass effort he showed tonight rubbed off on Lawson and Hubbard it would be a damn shame.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 02:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s never put up crazy numbers, but he’s consistently good. 72.5 is a lot of sacks. Pretty sure he leads the franchise.

(08-23-2019, 02:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ok smart ass how about where he stands all time across the league, which is 85th.

Lol it's fun I get to use this analogy the other way around! 

Carlos Dunlap is the Andy Dalton of defensive ends. Really good but not Great. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 02:50 AM)Synric Wrote: Lol it's fun I get to use this analogy the other way around! 

Carlos Dunlap is the Andy Dalton of defensive ends. Really good but not Great. 

I think Dunlap has been more consistent than Dalton. Both have had similar peaks (their best season was even the same year). Dunlap’s valleys haven’t been quite as low, imo.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 02:34 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: It felt like a smart ass comment when I wrote it. And it actually hurt a little inside to write.

Maybe we should start expecting more. Hopefully ZT demands a little more. Because being happy with what we have had has got us exactly zero championships. And not to pick on Dunlap because I expect he will play his ass off when the season starts. But his hustle and effort level at the beginning of the game was absolutely pitiful. And if that bullshit weak ass effort he showed tonight rubbed off on Lawson and Hubbard it would be a damn shame.

Re-watching now. I take that back. There was one play Dunlap was in the middle of the screen and wasn't running 100%. But he didn't lack effort in this game and played well. It looked like lack luster effort because Hubbard and Lawson are going 1 million miles an hour every snap. Dunlap was just jogging from behind on a play. 
Reply/Quote
Michael Johnson, oh wait, he's gone
Reply/Quote
Gio came to my mind as well, for exactly the same reason you said Nicomo. He's not bad, but he hasn't been as good as some think he is for years.

As far as Carlos is concerned, I think you could argue that you'd like to see him play more consistently from game-to-game, but I'll say this - the dude seems to win them a game every season.

Not sure I'd throw Eifert in the mix because the dude's been snake bitten his whole career. I know some like to put that blame squarely on his shoulders but I'm not one of those guys.
Reply/Quote