Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Death Penalty
(06-06-2023, 05:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Pro-Life is the name used by people against abortion.  Should I hold you to a pro-choice position on everything? 

Hmm, this sounds like a fun exercise for the devil's advocate in me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 09:31 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: It is probably impossible to quantify, but I imagine that the number of truly irredeemable criminals is fewer than the number of people wrongfully executed.

There's a reason that the majority of developed nations have abolished the death penalty. I find it hard to believe that it would ever be abolished nationwide here though. America loves its violence.

We are talking about the savages.  The multiple murderers and serial killers.  The people who kill children.   Call it vengeance if you want, but they need to go.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I'm only for it if it's an overwhelmingly clear-cut case of someone terrible who was indisputably caught doing something terrible (not sure what the threshold would be, but mass murder with zero basis for a self defense claim is probably a good starting point). In those instances it should be vastly accelerated, but for anyone else it probably shouldn't be a thing.

Dylan Roof for example shouldn't take any time at all to give the death penalty. Killed a ton of people, and it was clearly and 100% indisputably him who did it. Shouldn't even take a year.

Also would be less concern about humane methods then as we're talking 0.0% chance of them being anything other than a monster.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 11:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: Listening to "Death Row Stories" on HLN.

It makes me even more against the death penalty.

States can't even figure out a way to kill the prisoner but insist on experimenting on them as they try to find new ways.

I'm not surprised that some still support it as they want vengeance, not justice, but I just can't support it except MAYBE in the most extreme cases and only then if there is a humane way to do it.  Maybe.

I always wonder why they don't just hook them up to a gallon of morphine.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 05:55 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I always wonder why they don't just hook them up to a gallon of morphine.  

I assume it is too expensive and/or not cruel enough.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 05:55 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I always wonder why they don't just hook them up to a gallon of morphine.  

Weirdly this method of execution was mentioned in a podcast I was listening to yesterday about the Manhattan Project.

It was used on some soldiers captured while trying to infiltrate the hydro plant in Norway.  Apparently it is not very pleasant either.

https://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php/audacious-raids-operations-grouse-freshman-swallow-and-gunnerside/
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 05:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: Weirdly this method of execution was mentioned in a podcast I was listening to yesterday about the Manhattan Project.

It was used on some soldiers captured while trying to infiltrate the hydro plant in Norway.  Apparently it is not very pleasant either.

https://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php/audacious-raids-operations-grouse-freshman-swallow-and-gunnerside/

OK, how about a quart of fentynal?
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 06:04 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: OK, how about a quart of fentynal?

You literally need less than a pinch of salt's worth of fentanyl to fatally OD.

As for the death penalty in general, I'm not for it.  The appeals process involved costs millions, often far more than housing the person for the rest of their natural life.  I think imprisoning a person until they die is a far more severe punishment.  Additionally, if exculpatory evidence comes to light then a great wrong can be rectified.  I would be in favor of a law that prevents clemency or pardons for certain crimes, as some criminals can become a cause celebre for some useless celebrity trying to make themselves feel better about their vapid lives.  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 05:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: Weirdly this method of execution was mentioned in a podcast I was listening to yesterday about the Manhattan Project.

Oh wow. Always figured it would be a great way to go if you had to go.

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 06:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You literally need less than a pinch of salt's worth of fentanyl to fatally OD.

As for the death penalty in general, I'm not for it.  The appeals process involved costs millions, often far more than housing the person for the rest of their natural life.  I think imprisoning a person until they die is a far more severe punishment.  Additionally, if exculpatory evidence comes to light then a great wrong can be rectified.  I would be in favor of a law that prevents clemency or pardons for certain crimes, as some criminals can become a cause celebre for some useless celebrity trying to make themselves feel better about their vapid lives.  

Radical leftist.

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 06:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Radical leftist.

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952yyocoapa5ksxo9aqcpc...w.gif&ct=g]

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 06:04 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: OK, how about a quart of fentynal?

Too dangerous. Even looking at it will kill everyone in the building...apparently.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 08:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: Too dangerous. Even looking at it will kill everyone in the building...apparently.  Ninja

Meh, your children likely saw your unclothed body a time or two, and they still survived..  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

As someone who has enjoyed both morphine and fentanyl during hospital stays, 

I too an curious as to why this could not be a not only a humane but an exceedingly pleasant way to go out.

Why do we have a complicated, easily botched process when an OD should work just fine?

PS Dino, your Germans were trying to torture people, injecting them with air and water as well as morhpine.
Our executioners would be much kinder.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 12:35 AM)Dill Wrote: As someone who has enjoyed both morphine and fentanyl during hospital stays, 

I too an curious as to why this could not be a not only a humane but an exceedingly pleasant way to go out.

Why do we have a complicated, easily botched process when an OD should work just fine?

Most Pharmaceutical companies believe it or not don't want to make money from killing criminals. Alot of them have banned the sale of their drugs to be used for that purpose. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 12:45 AM)Synric Wrote: Most Pharmaceutical companies believe it or not don't want to make money from killing criminals. Alot of them have banned the sale of their drugs to be used for that purpose. 

You bring up another good point.  That's a lot of the experimenting I mentioned.  Trying to figure out what drugs to use and how.

Should a civilized society be doing that?  I just don't think so.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 09:49 AM)GMDino Wrote: You bring up another good point.  That's a lot of the experimenting I mentioned.  Trying to figure out what drugs to use and how.

Should a civilized society be doing that?  I just don't think so.

No shit.  We already know bullets work.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 09:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No shit.  We already know bullets work.  Ninja

Didn't two states bring back the firing squad this year?  Maybe it was last year.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:15 AM)GMDino Wrote: Didn't two states bring back the firing squad this year?  Maybe it was last year.

Not sure.  I remember the movie about Gary Gilmore in Utah though.  

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:38 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Not sure.  I remember the movie about Gary Gilmore in Utah though.  

He was the last one.  I don't know if he still is.

https://www.livenowfox.com/news/idaho-executions-firing-squad-new-law

Quote:Republican Gov. Brad Little signed a bill allowing execution by firing squad, making Idaho the latest state to turn to older methods of capital punishment amid a nationwide shortage of lethal-injection drugs.

The Legislature passed the measure March 20 with a veto-proof majority. Under it, firing squads will be used only if the state cannot obtain the drugs needed for lethal injections.

Pharmaceutical companies increasingly have barred executioners from using their drugs, saying they were meant to save lives. One Idaho death row inmate has already had his execution postponed repeatedly because of drug scarcity.

The shortage has prompted other states in recent years to revive older methods of execution. Only Mississippi, Utah, Oklahoma and South Carolina have laws allowing firing squads if other execution methods are unavailable, according to the Death Penalty Information Center. South Carolina’s law is on hold pending the outcome of a legal challenge.
Reply/Quote