Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Defense
I thought lou keep it both simple and vanilla...I loved the blitz he sent in the second quarter though, the slot cornerback and Evans from the linebacker spot attacking the b gap was both well timed and very creative...
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 09:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Austin had DC experience. Lou is more like defense Zampese.

Oh ****, I puked.
Reply/Quote
Lol - this team was historically bad on defense last year. They are returning virtually the same exact roster and people expect to see something different?

Sure, they will be a bit healthier this year on defense, but this defense has a GLARING hole in the middle of it that wasn't addressed in the off season. Linebacker was a HUGE issue last year and it will continue to be an issue this year.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
They had two 3 & outs that were wiped out by fumbled punts, Andrew Brown looked dominant once moving to DT, and Phillips looked good at CB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The defense was on of the two or three worst in the league last year.

It was as bad as it has ever been  against the run

( which helped the pass D because there was no reason to pass against the awful run defense)

What did we do to change the talent on the roster- draft a LB in the third round.

This is going to be a long year because they did not address the o line ( drafting the OT in first round was not enough) and the D is the same as last year.

Our only chance for improvement is the O getting third downs and keeping our D off the field.

Zac will have to be a genius to do that with this o line. Maybe he can.

This is a two to three year project at best.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 09:49 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Any Giant fan will tell you that Lou IS Austion 2.0 or worse.

If he's never been a DC, how would Giants fans even be able to say that?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
We added DE and CB in the offseason before the draft and in the draft added 2 LB, DT and CB.

The problem was this was a sucky Free Agent class for what we needed. Unless we wanted to drop 50 million plus for Mosley there was nothing there.

I noted in the Gameday thread that the defense was bad and also said ZT should/would be pissed. To his credit he was. He did something Marvin did not do which was call out the defense by name and on specifics. I want to see if on Thursday they play more aggressively and not so tentative, if they finally press the receivers at the line and so on.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 03:32 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The defense was on of the two or three worst in the league last year.

It was as bad as it has ever been  against the run

( which helped the pass D because there was no reason to pass against the awful run defense)

What did we do to change the talent on the roster- draft a LB in the third round.

This is going to be a long year because they did not address the o line ( drafting the OT in first round was not enough) and the D is the same as last year.

Our only chance for improvement is the O getting third downs and keeping our D off the field.

Zac will have to be a genius to do that with this o line. Maybe he can.

This is a two to three year project at best.

Hey, don't forget the 4th round IOL and John Miller!  Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It was the first game under a basically totally new coaching staff, new scheme, new language, new players. I'm not going to jump off a cliff just yet.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 03:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: We added DE and CB in the offseason before the draft and in the draft added 2 LB, DT and CB.

The problem was this was a sucky Free Agent class for what we needed. Unless we wanted to drop 50 million plus for Mosley there was nothing there.

I noted in the Gameday thread that the defense was bad and also said ZT should/would be pissed. To his credit he was. He did something Marvin did not do which was call out the defense by name and on specifics. I want to see if on Thursday they play more aggressively and not so tentative, if they finally press the receivers at the line and so on.

The narrative that there were no free agents worth signing is totally false.

Guys like LJ Fort signed reasonably and would have been upgrades over the guys we have at LB.

The Bengals seemed set on hiring/signing former Dolphins and Giants for some reason.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 04:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The narrative that there were no free agents worth signing is totally false.

Guys like LJ Fort signed reasonably and would have been upgrades over the guys we have at LB.

The Bengals seemed set on hiring/signing former Dolphins and Giants for some reason.

Derron Lee was available for a 6th Rd pick, KJ wright would have been an upgrade, and let's not forget about Kwon Alexander who was signed by 49ers.
Also they probably could have moved up with the Lions for Bush if they really wanted to.

The problem is that dumbass Duke doesn't value LB just like he doesn't value Guard.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Andrew Brown and Brandon Wilson had good nights.  

Now is the time for the D to figure out run defense.  Perhaps it was a good wakeup call in some respects.  It might also be a signal that it's time to start trolling the FA LB and/or DT market should the run D continue to be a problem.
Reply/Quote
Turns out when you have a FO who doesn't seem to care about getting good players at LB, and a DC with zero experience who was your 7th+ choice.... it doesn't look pretty.

Who could have imagined?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 04:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It was the first game under a basically totally new coaching staff, new scheme, new language, new players. I'm not going to jump off a cliff just yet.

My point too. The players are still thinking out there. Give them time and they’ll start reacting. Then we’ll get a true sense if this defense/Lou has what it takes.
Reply/Quote
I am not flipping out because of a Preseason game with half the defense out.

However i am again VERY concerned about the lack of quality Linebackers on this team.

This was obvious on Saturday, sure Vigil is ok, Preston Brown is old and slow, and Pratt is showing some promise.

Are any of these guys Game Breakers? Hell No. Can these guys even be Average as a unit? Don't think so.

What does this starting group look like if a single injury occurs?

Its obvious the OLine and LBs are the weakest groups of this team the last couple years, but the LBs was barely addressed this year.

I think it could get really ugly this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 05:17 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: I am not flipping out because of a Preseason game with half the defense out.

However i am again VERY concerned about the lack of quality Linebackers on this team.

This was obvious on Saturday, sure Vigil is ok, Preston Brown is old and slow, and Pratt is showing some promise.

Are any of these guys Game Breakers? Hell No. Can these guys even be Average as a unit? Don't think so.

What does this starting group look like if a single injury occurs?

Its obvious the OLine and LBs are the weakest groups of this team the last couple years, but the LBs was barely addressed this year.

I think it could get really ugly this year.

Preston Brown is like 27 or something...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 06:12 PM)jason Wrote: Preston Brown is like 27 or something...

It's probably too much to ask to expect a guy on a rant to bother with facts.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 04:39 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Derron Lee was available for a 6th Rd pick, KJ wright would have been an upgrade, and let's not forget about Kwon Alexander who was signed by 49ers.
Also they probably could have moved up with the Lions for Bush if they really wanted to.

The problem is that dumbass Duke doesn't value LB just like he doesn't value Guard.

Are you sure that it's "Dumbass Duke" that doesn't want to pay for LBs and Guards?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You'd almost think they found Lou sleeping on a bench at the Grey Hound Bus Station, by reading some of these post.... "Hey buddy, you want to be our DC?" The position isn't to big for Lou, relax guys.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 04:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The narrative that there were no free agents worth signing is totally false.

I am going to beat a dead horse (I love horses BTW), but Mack Wilson was there in the 4th.  Still stings I guess for me.  As was Orlando Brown OT in the prior draft (instead of Jefferson).  

Dead Horse
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote