Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Defense
(08-12-2019, 07:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am going to beat a dead horse (I love horses BTW), but Mack Wilson was there in the 4th.  Still stings I guess for me.  As was Orlando Brown OT in the prior draft (instead of Jefferson).  

Dead Horse

Let's hope Finley works out better than Jefferson has, he sure seems like a wasted pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 06:43 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You'd almost think they found Lou sleeping on a bench at the Grey Hound Bus Station, by reading some of these post.... "Hey buddy, you want to be our DC?" The position isn't to big for Lou, relax guys.

He was driving the Greyhound; wasn't he?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 07:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let's hope Finley works out better than Jefferson has, he sure seems like a wasted pick.

I think Finley will be a prototype backup in the NFL and looked WAY BETTER than I expected so there is that.  Also, many teams passed on Wilson (LB) but damn, Bengals are sure thin there.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Base defense? I don’t care; players need to be in position.

Vanilla defense? I don’t care; that’s no excuse not to tackle.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 08:11 AM)Au165 Wrote: Duke Tobin literally said on the broadcast they were running base and expected to get beat up a bit but they wanted to see how guys kind of handled the onslaught. Add in that you essentially don't have two of the best pass rushers in the league and your best corner and you expect to get ran through. I'm not saying they are going to be great, or even good, but preseason games isn't where you start questioning defensive play calling or scheme.

People need to relax. The Rams scored 3 points against the Raiders, do you think they are in panic mode about their offense?

I've seen reports they've been running 5 down linemen but we didnt see that at all Saturday and this would explain it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
When both teams play vanilla, and they beat you at in the game, they still better than you.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 08:17 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: When both teams play vanilla, and they beat you at in the game, they still better than you.

So the Raiders are better than the Rams? The Titans are better than the Eagles? Vikings are better than the Saints?

You should rethink your premise.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 08:00 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Base defense?  I don’t care; players need to be in position.

Vanilla defense?  I don’t care; that’s no excuse not to tackle.

This is where I'm at.

I don't care if KC beat us 100-0, but when an opponent comes your way, you need to tackle him. It doesn't get any more basic than that. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's not like KC's first team defense did anything to stop our "first team" offense either, and both their offense and defense were better than ours last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 05:06 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Andrew Brown and Brandon Wilson had good nights.  

Now is the time for the D to figure out run defense.  Perhaps it was a good wakeup call in some respects.  It might also be a signal that it's time to start trolling the FA LB and/or DT market should the run D continue to be a problem.

Wilson is too small. He can't make a one on one tackle of a TE, RB or big WR. Maybe I am missing something but Wilson did nothing to impress me.

Brown on other hand was disruptive all night.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
What happened to the defenses are ahead of he offense early in preseason? Not in our case, Zac and Lou get an F+ for that performance. I thought guys were trying to win a job in the NFL, no fire, no intensity and we were steam rolled. All on the HC. Let's hope he is not Dave Shula 2.0. He sure looked like it game one.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 08:11 AM)Au165 Wrote: Duke Tobin literally said on the broadcast they were running base and expected to get beat up a bit but they wanted to see how guys kind of handled the onslaught. Add in that you essentially don't have two of the best pass rushers in the league and your best corner and you expect to get ran through. I'm not saying they are going to be great, or even good, but preseason games isn't where you start questioning defensive play calling or scheme.

People need to relax. The Rams scored 3 points against the Raiders, do you think they are in panic mode about their offense?

^This
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 09:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What happened to the defenses are ahead of he offense early in preseason? Not in our case, Zac and Lou get an F+ for that performance. I thought guys were trying to win a job in the NFL, no fire, no intensity and we were steam rolled. All on the HC. Let's hope he is not Dave Shula 2.0. He sure looked like it game one.

Playing 4 starters short, the Defense held the vaunted KC 1st team offensive unit to 7 points.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 09:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What happened to the defenses are ahead of he offense early in preseason? Not in our case, Zac and Lou get an F+ for that performance. I thought guys were trying to win a job in the NFL, no fire, no intensity and we were steam rolled. All on the HC. Let's hope he is not Dave Shula 2.0. He sure looked like it game one.

Overreact much ?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 08:17 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: When both teams play vanilla, and they beat you at in the game, they still better than you.

While that is far from always true in the preseason, in this case you're right.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 09:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Playing 4 starters short, the Defense held the vaunted KC 1st team offensive unit to 7 points.  

Oooooh Sunset... Hobsy better watch out!

Man that was well done!!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 08:00 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Base defense?  I don’t care; players need to be in position.

Vanilla defense?  I don’t care; that’s no excuse not to tackle.

I can agree with that.

But I'm still not going to get to broke up about the first preseason game considering all the changes that have happened. If it continues.......
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 09:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Playing 4 starters short, the Defense held the vaunted KC 1st team offensive unit to 7 points.  

In the interest of full disclosure, the vaunted KC 1st team offensive unit only played one series, without Hill, btw, and it took them about three blinks of an eye to put up those 7 points.

We were without Geno and that's pretty big. And a bit scary too, seeing what we look like without him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 06:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you sure that it's "Dumbass Duke" that doesn't want to pay for LBs and Guards?

Yes or one of the many dumbass's in the front office
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I don't think it is an overreaction to say that we were facing 2nd and 3rd stringer offensive players for most of the game and still got pushed around. Now that said, we did get some stops. And it didn't help things that we turned the ball over on punts a few times. But still the defense needs to be more aware of the play as it develops, especially where the ball is, and they need make tackles when they have the opportunity. That big run for a TD in the second? Yes the runner was fast but the fact is our players should've been able to tackle him. They reacted too slowly like they didn't know where the ball was or understand the play could be flowing towards them. Awareness would make a huge difference there.

Reply/Quote