Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Difference between the Bengals and Pittsburg?
(01-08-2017, 07:30 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: They went 11-5 with Matt Cassell, a record that 90% of the time gets you in the playoffs.

They won 3 out of the 4 games without Brady this year and probably would have gone 4-0 had the 2nd and 3rd QBs not gotten hurt.

Brady also went 15-1 in 2007 and lost to a Giants 10-6 team in the SB.

And your point is?????????

Clearly you missed the point.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 08:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Essentially their upper management is better than ours.

We have a de facto GM that hasn't work a playoff game in 26+ years...and he's still in the same position.

Which is partly why I said they are smarter. Smarter front office, leads to hiring smarter coaching, which leads to smarter players & play.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Come on guys. Easy. It all starts at the top. Having Marvin Lewis doesn't help
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 08:58 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Which is partly why I said they are smarter. Smarter front office, leads to hiring smarter coaching, which leads to smarter players & play.

I think organizational culture also entails how a team responds to losing and setting performance standards. Is it acceptable or isn't it? Teams all say they want to win...but some handle not winning differently.

Think of Marvins press conferences talking about how we did some good things. Some teams when they lose they call players out and talk about how their performance is way below the standard they expect.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 08:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Steelers won playoff games in 1984, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, and 2002 including one losing effort in the Super Bowl with NFL QB household names like Bubby Brister, Mike Maddox, Kordell Stewart, and Neil Odonell. All first ballot HoFers right ?

You're correct it's not that they've developed a winning culture and are committed to continuing it. It's just that they got lucky with a QB in the oo's. 

LMAO

No need to LYAO as I agree a winning culture is important. It was just folks were coming up with a lot of reasons; it's just that I thoght folks might be missing a reason.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 07:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You didn't guess what happened the one year the Pats didn't make the playoffs in the last 14. 

Pay attention!  I answered that with the 11-5 Matt Cassell season.  The one thing I DO agree with what Marvin has said, is that unless you win the last playoff game, it doesn't matter which one you lose before that, provided you have 'make' the playoffs, to being with, to have a 'chance' to win the last game.

You weren't standing up for Fat Boy with your original post, you were bashing Dalton.

Well guess what genius, the Bengals couldn't win their last playoff game with Kenny Anderson or Boomer Boy either!  They couldn't get it done since they birthed in 1968 and the Browns still have 8 more championships then they do!!!

So the next time someone makes fun of the Browns or their fans, just keep in mind they have 8 more than the Bengals do!!!  Wink
Reply/Quote
The Bengals were spelled right? Bwahahahah...

Seriously, the biggest difference between the two teams is mindset. One game plans to win, and one game plans not to lose. When you watch them head-to-head, that is always what comes to mind.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 09:46 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Pay attention!  I answered that with the 11-5 Matt Cassell season.  The one thing I DO agree with what Marvin has said, is that unless you win the last playoff game, it doesn't matter which one you lose before that, provided you have 'make' the playoffs, to being with, to have a 'chance' to win the last game.

You weren't standing up for Fat Boy with your original post, you were bashing Dalton.

Well guess what genius, the Bengals couldn't win their last playoff game with Kenny Anderson or Boomer Boy either!  They couldn't get it done since they birthed in 1968 and the Browns still have 8 more championships then they do!!!

So the next time someone makes fun of the Browns or their fans, just keep in mind they have 8 more than the Bengals do!!!  Wink

u mad bro?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
one distinct difference I see starts with the offense.
the Steelers are really good at moving the chains either pass or run.
they can play ground and pound with Bell/Williams and gash you with 7 straight runs
or they can simply throw the ball 14 straight times.
Todd Haley is one of the best OCs in football.
he keeps defenses off balance.
the Steelers can go no huddle empty backfield one series than load up.with 3 TEs and run behind that
oline with Nix and Gilbert kicking out
in Cincy they try so hard to find that 50 50 balance on offense they become predictable
Pittsburgh is just like "c'mon and stop this we are gonna run it over and over till.you do"
I think Pittsburgh has better coordinators and position coaches overall.
but Haley IMO is the difference maker
Reply/Quote
The biggest current difference between the Bengals and Steelers I can see is this:

When is Pittsburgh the most vulnerable? It is when they are playing teams (outside their division) with losing records at 1 pm on Sundays. They inexplicably drop a few every year in the middle of the season to teams like the Gradkowski lead Raiders and others I can't remember at this moment.

When are they the most difficult? In prime time games when the lights are the brightest. How many of you just knew they would win that game against Baltimore last week? As amazing as that final TD run by the Raven's was, I knew that 1.5 minutes was just too much to leave on the clock with Big Ben getting the ball back. They thrive in those pressure situations.

As far as Cincy is concerned, you can flip everything I just wrote. They are at their best playing teams at 1 pm when there is no pressure. Aside from that classic against Denver in 2014, I can't remember a late season prime time game that has made me feel like we were ever going to turn the corner in that regard. If only Hill wouldn't have fumbled that ball, it might have been that night.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 09:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: u mad bro?

No.  I'm just tired of this foolish broken record, as if the Bengals are the Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, or the Patriots with multiple SB wins and here comes the red head from TCU and now, because of him, after multiple SB victories they can't get out of their own way in the playoffs!

It's old and done after 6 years of nonsense, and CERTAINLY you HAVE to see that these issues start at the top, and until/unless that baton is passed, things are status quo, REGARDLESS!!
Reply/Quote
Ownership
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 10:30 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: Ownership

RING!!!!!!!  Bob we have winner!  Okay, Art what do you have for our winner?

Well Bob we have free press conference passes for every press conference in 2017, of Marvin Lewis!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 09:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No need to LYAO as I agree a winning culture is important. It was just folks were coming up with a lot of reasons; it's just that I thoght folks might be missing a reason.

There's little doubt Big Jen is a major factor in the Steelers recent winning history. But he's only a minor part in the big picture of the difference between a winning culture as set up by the Steelers organization thru the years.  And the dysfunctional, undisciplined, total lack of accountability set up here by Mike Brown and of late Marvin Lewis.

Winning is the only goal there, the only focus. Here winning is desirable but not demanded. Money , loyalty, and doing it my way take precedence.

In the end there's a major difference in the cultures and the results reflect that.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 11:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's little doubt Big Jen is a major factor in the Steelers recent winning history. But he's only a minor part in the big picture of the difference between a winning culture as set up by the Steelers organization thru the years.  And the dysfunctional, undisciplined, total lack of accountability set up here by Mike Brown and of late Marvin Lewis.

Winning is the only goal there, the only focus. Here winning is desirable but not demanded. Money , loyalty, and doing it my way take precedence.

In the end there's a major difference in the cultures and the results reflect that.

Post. Set. /Thread. 
Reply/Quote
Heck, the OP can't even spell Pittsburgh correctly. We must be idiots to them.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 06:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I see some distinct differences between the teams.

Steelers plan for and play to win championships as well as they can.

Bengals plan for doing the best they can, whatever that might be.

Steelers research and game plan for opponents with scheme and do adjust in games.

Bengals game plan for opponents and when it doesn't work out, well "we have to play better."

Steelers will cut you if you screw around.

Bengals will give you a priestly "I understand my son" and let it go at that.

Steelers will fire coaches for bad performing teams or units.

Bengals will give a contract extension.

I could go on, but pretty much the above illustrates the point.

The bold is simply not true. As evidenced by Bell and Bryant still being on the team. 

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 11:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The bold is simply not true. As evidenced by Bell and Bryant still being on the team. 

...and Roethlisberger. Whatever
Reply/Quote
They play with aggression in all 3 phases of the game.

On offense they go for two, they go for it on 4th and short, they take shots down the field on 3rd and long, they take shots down the field when the defense is offsides.

On special teams they put their best WR back to return punts and kicks.

We all know that they get away with murder on D.

The Bengals don't do any of this with any regularity.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 11:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The bold is simply not true. As evidenced by Bell and Bryant still being on the team. 

Agreed. The Steelers have just as many guys with off-the-field issues as the Bengals...maybe more.

For some reason, there is a perception that they run a clean house.

They don't. They don't cut talented guys with issues. Now if a scrub gets arrested...THAT'S who they make an example of.
Reply/Quote