Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Draft, player storylines & offseason events RECHARGE Fan interest each year
I see your point, and mostly agree.  However, for me, if Mediocre Merv and the Piano Man are signed on for more mediocrity......they can kiss my rosey red ass.  I'll not watch to keep from contributing to their advertisers to go along with the boycott of merch and tix that I have already implemented since 2015.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 08:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think the OP is pretty spot on. For "most people" which used to include myself.

But I can state with complete honesty and truth that if Mike Brown gives us another same old same old off season my Bengals interest will reach an all time low !

I won't quit being a Bengal fan, just some time off until Mikey is no longer running the show.

This is word for word how I feel about it.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 10:05 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Last fall most were saying the o line was the key.  If they improved and played well, coupled with a healthy eifert and a defense that looked like it could be lights out, then a winning record and a playoff berth wasn’t out of the question.  

As for next year, there is no guarantee that that Ben retires or Marvin is dismissed.  Unless the MO of the front office changes this team has many holes to fill.

As to the original post, I think fan interest has undoubtedly declined.  That’s typical of teams at the end of a losing season.  But this feels a little different.  There is a spectrum to fandom, ranging from not interested/don’t follow to diehard.  A little after half way through the season my wife gave up watching them every Sunday.  I spent more time watching the red zone channel than the bengals game. When fans begin to ween themselves off the team, even just a little, it makes it easier to just find something else to do.  

If this same dog and pony show is in place to start next season with only a few draft picks to keep us interested I think even more fans will be ready to throw in the towel sooner if things don’t start well.

I don’t anticipate anything changing in terms of player acquisition, such as free agency.

So yeah, ebenezer has aces up his sleeve, let’s see if he uses them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I missed more games this season than I did in the years of the abyss with all of the blackouts.  My give a **** meter is on E, and brother, if I get more of the same this offseason, **** them.  I'v never said that before, but even rats have sense enough to abandon a sinking ship.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 03:05 AM)BMK Wrote: I think you're spot on.  Last fall, this board, with very little reason, had the Bengals playoff bound and the Steelers falling apart. Just think about next fall with a whole new coaching staff, a few more high draft choices and Ben retiring. Regardless what people are saying now, come fall, optimism will be through the roof....and rightly so.

This is correct, but I kind of see the prelude to 2017 as a one-time thing for this fanbase.  It was an odd scenario.  Literally everyone knew how bad Ogbuehi was.  They also knew that the line was awful even with Z and Whit on board in 2016.  

For whatever reason, people gave the team a mulligan and put their faith in the staff to accept that they knew what was best for the roster/2017 season.  I mean, they already drafted replacement tackles in 2015 and they just HAD to play the both some time right?  Letting our best linemen leave was probably just a misunderstood genius move at the time.  Right.   

This staff/front office has pissed any trust away over the last 4 months.  This team lacked needed talent and passed up more than one chance to obtain it.  What's worse, they failed to figure out what to do with the players they had until the tail end of the season.  Fan will be much stingier granting the benefit of the doubt this time around.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 01:25 AM)samhain Wrote: Probably an accurate post from the OP, for the most part.

The only thing missed is that the organization will need more than a few thousand die-hard suckers like those of us on this message board to fill up the empty seats we see now.  They will need casual and bandwagon fans, not just people who live and breathe for this team.  

If the OP is suggesting that threats to leave the team on this board are likely just overblown venting, then I agree, for the most part.  That's just not the issue, IMO.  This team does a shit job of connecting with it's fans and cares little for what they think or feel.  Sometimes that's not a bad thing, but sometimes it's just shitty business and counterproductive.

I'd also add that this team builds mostly negative energy in it's hardcore fanbase in the offseason.  Almost everyone hates Hobson's dumb propaganda.  A majority bang their heads against the wall every year when FA rolls around and they sit on the sidelines until the bitter end.  None of this builds any excitement.  Business as usual will hurt this team this time around, guaranteed.

Also, I really believe that any internal promotion will cause a significant exodus.  There's nobody on the current staff that warrants such a move and the promotion of Zampese is fresh in everyone's mind.  It will show that they've learned nothing from that lazy hire.  That hire just may have cost us this season, in terms of preparedness.

I'm not sure that I think it is "overblown venting" although that may be what it is.

I think that the venting is real and people mean it, however, as the offseason progresses we start to see a player added on Day 1 of the Draft, then a few more players added on Day 2 of the Draft, then more on Day 3. Fan excitement builds on the Board each of those days.

We come to grips with the players that leave in Free Agency and get our hopes up that the token player or two in Free Agency that we did get will sure up any roster holes we see.

We start to see their "Plan" and it makes just enough sense and seems to fill just enough holes for Fans to start buying in to the idea that it just might work this time.

Then we wait in anticipation for the Preseason to begin with hopes of seeing the new guys (Ross/Mixon/Lawson) Flash some greatness in Preseason games. On Paper the holes seem filled as long as this or that player develops (Cedric/Fisher) and they seem to be "learning" in the Preseason with hopes that they will be "ready" once the season begins.

Previously upset Fans are then totally "re-hooked", no longer "venting" and even think the "New Plan" could work.
Reply/Quote
I agree with the OP that somehow over the off season I get more optimistic but I think that's because after 45 years of being a fan I know I'm not switching allegiance.

That being said this is the first year I have not planned my Sunday's around watching the Bengal game. I have the DAZN app and have found myself watching the game later in the day. I also usually travel to Cincy or pick a game closer to home to attend one game per year but didn't do it this year.

I know I will continue to follow the team but by far this is the most frustrated I can remember feeling and I'm not sure how I would react to Marvin being brought back but I think I would be pulling for an 0-16 season.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 68e47b932b4b48782b18343a9aae5af1.jpg].

I said no to crack, you can too!

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: Many keep pointing to this or that as being a thing that may happen that finally causes them to lose interest in the Bengals.

Saying for example:  "If Marvin returns then I am done".

But Mike Brown has an Ace in the hole. In fact, many Aces.

It is called the Offseason and it Refuels fan interest. Making them believe and Hope again for success in the coming NFL season.

The Draft itself is the ultimate Battery Recharger for honked off fans.

This Board heats up before, during and after the Draft with expectations that this player or that player will finally give the Bengals the Edge they need to Win.

Player storylines also feed into the Fan Recharging.

Will John Ross be healthy next year and if so, will we see his Speed transform the offense ?

Do other teams have retirements (say of Big Ben) that opens the Division door for the Bengals ?

Does our schedule seem favorable or did the Bengals Draft a player you really wanted ?

All of these things are examples of the many Aces in the hole that Mike Brown has in his back pocket as an NFL owner.

Marvin may return, or Hue or Jay Gruden or internal promotion of a New Head Coach.

Fans will declare that they are fed up, turn their backs and look the other way if it isn't the Head Coach they wanted.

But the Draft, player storylines and other offseason events will start pulling them back in.

Instead of both eyes looking away from the Bengals, they will start looking back with just one eye. Still trying to protest in a way.

Soon though, they will be totally back on board, making their own Bengal mock Drafts, talking about how good John Ross will be and totally hooked again for another season.

A rare few may really write off the Bengals.

MOST will get re-hooked this offseason no matter what happens.

Mike Brown has the fans at "Hello".

Let's be honest. Most of us will be just a Mock Draft or a John Ross big preseason play away from getting re-hooked before next season begins.

Then Mike Brown again gets to send another Brinks truck full of cash to his local Bank.

We be Fish on the hook once again.    Tongue

You're like the anti-Kevin. Where Kevin believes in as few paragraph breaks as possible, you apparently believe in that you can't use them enough.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 02:38 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: [Image: 68e47b932b4b48782b18343a9aae5af1.jpg].

Lol I just bought my boy and myself new WJ3 jerseys for Christmas....Of course Jersey sales go to the players not the franchise.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm sorry, but with this coaching staff and ownership, it wouldn't matter. The right people won't be played, the wrong people won't be benched, game preparation will be as poor as its imagination.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I think ticket prices are to high, and the food is to much for the average family. There are more of us average folk than the rest.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 02:38 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: [Image: 68e47b932b4b48782b18343a9aae5af1.jpg].

This must be Kroger. I don’t buy Bengal crap from grocery stores or Walmart. Seen too many people walking around with piss yellow name and number decals after a wash or two. If I wanted to wear piss, I would become a Steelers fan.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 01:45 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I agree with the OP that somehow over the off season I get more optimistic but I think that's because after 45 years of being a fan I know I'm not switching allegiance.

That being said this is the first year I have not planned my Sunday's around watching the Bengal game. I have the DAZN app and have found myself watching the game later in the day. I also usually travel to Cincy or pick a game closer to home to attend one game per year but didn't do it this year.

I know I will continue to follow the team but by far this is the most frustrated I can remember feeling and I'm not sure how I would react to Marvin being brought back but I think I would be pulling for an 0-16 season.
As I have said before, "My goal is total INDIFFERENCE as long as MB calls the shots."  I have difficulty completely distancing myself from the Bengals but I think INDIFFERENCE may be attainable. Whatever  I have neither attended, nor watched a single Bengals game this year so that's a good start on my road to recovery. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I’ll probably always be a Bengals fan, watching Boomer play back in the day hooked me. I really loved his leadership. I’m in my 40s now and I can prioritize things a little better now. This owner doesn’t place priority on winning, he just doesn’t. It’s blatantly obvious to me and it makes me not care as much. This last off-season and how he handled the OLine was the absolute worst GM job that I can remember seeing. I did forget about not trading a QB to the Bears for their entire draft. How freaking ignorant and greedy was that? Think about that for a minute! This shithead will probably live to be 105 too. Anyways, I’m still a fan but it matters less to me now. I’m not buying anything Bengals again or going to a game until Eb is dead because he sure isn’t gonna change.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm pretty much a casual fan anymore. I get excited when things are good, pissed when they are not. But I turn it all off after the game, if I watch or see the score. and go about my day. We all chose this team for 1 reason or another, it is what it is. MB will run this the way he wants to and there is not a damn thing we can do. You want to follow another team or throw the NFL in the trash for good, go knock yourself out.
I'll be here next year and the seasons after that, it doesn't matter to me who is the HC or who the players are. Just entertainment anyways, it's not football.

Said it well.

Sums it up for me with the exception I am dropping my season tickets in 2018. Lots of things to do other than go to PBS.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Lol people with their boycotts.

Players receive money from Jersey sales that's not included in their contract. Even if thr Bengals offer guys competitive contracts (which we always hear they do) Why would a free agent come to a team that can't sell jerseys and no butts in the seats.

It's a double edged sword.

Me I'm gonna continue to buy jerseys, go to a couple games a season and root for the Black and Orange.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 05:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This must be Kroger. I don’t buy Bengal crap from grocery stores or Walmart. Seen too many people walking around with piss yellow name and number decals after a wash or two. If I wanted to wear piss, I would become a Steelers fan.

Winner winner, it was. I just saw the display and it made me think of this post

Reply/Quote
For stress related health reasons i wish this wasn’t true but I’ll be here till the end even if it kills me
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
I haven't been excited for 2 years, I am bungalized. No emotion.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 07:40 PM)Synric Wrote: Lol people with their boycotts.

Players receive money from Jersey sales that's not included in their contract. Even if thr Bengals offer guys competitive contracts (which we always hear they do) Why would a free agent come to a team that can't sell jerseys and no butts in the seats.

It's a double edged sword.

Me I'm gonna continue to buy jerseys, go to a couple games a season and root for the Black and Orange.

To each his own! I just refuse to invest anymore of my money into a team that the owner refuses to invest proper funds into. There’s a difference between not winning and not trying to win. When they have an owner that puts effort into winning, I’ll buy their product again.You can laugh out loud all you want at me for doing that. I could laugh out loud at you for contributing your money to an owner that keeps it instead of reinventing to actually try to win too. I won’t laugh though because I’ve been there too. I just finally got fed up with his shit sandwiches. There are many of us former hardcore fans that now refuse to follow blindly. To me, it’s more sad than a laugh out loud situation. Give us an owner and a Bengals organization that prioritizes winning and I will root like hell for them, regardless of outcome.
Reply/Quote