Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Eagles?
(08-25-2016, 09:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 4-6 teams who made the playoffs last year will miss it this year. Last offseason I am sure it was equally unthinkable the Colts would miss the postseason and the Ravens would be 5-11. It happens. Heck, before their QBs got hurt, they were still tanking hard. It happens to teams.

Not to mention all teams will regress from 15-1. Heck, the year after the Patriots went 16-0, they went 11-5. Just not really plausible to repeat 15-16 win seasons.

Even if we somehow ignore the Bucs x2, 49ers, Rams, and Chargers and call those all wins (5-0) and say they split with better Saints and Falcons teams (7-2)...

They also play the @Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals, Chiefs, @Raiders, @Seahawks, @Redskins. Not terribly hard to imagine them losing against 4 of those teams. That would put them at 10-6.

Not many of those teams are as stacked as Carolina though.

Usually teams that regress that hard lose a lot to FA or are devastated as injuries like you said.

And if any team has a legit shot at usurping the Panthers, it's Atlanta, no New Orleanes.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 09:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Even if we somehow ignore the Bucs x2, 49ers, Rams, and Chargers and call those all wins (5-0) and say they split with better Saints and Falcons teams (7-2)...

They also play the @Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals, Chiefs, @Raiders, @Seahawks, @Redskins. Not terribly hard to imagine them losing against 4 of those teams. That would put them at 10-6.

I'm thinking that they still own their division, split with Falcons, but sweep Bucs and Saints.  I'm also willing to bet that they win at least 4, more likely 5 of those other contests.

Have you taken a look at Carolina this preseason?  For those couple of series that the starting unit is on the field, they look like mid-season form. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 10:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm thinking that they still own their division, split with Falcons, but sweep Bucs and Saints.  I'm also willing to bet that they win at least 4, more likely 5 of those other contests.

Have you taken a look at Carolina this preseason?  For those couple of series that the starting unit is on the field, they look like mid-season form. 

Which isn't really saying much.

I wouldn't be suprised if Denver edged them week 1 and make them look sluggish.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 10:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm thinking that they still own their division, split with Falcons, but sweep Bucs and Saints.  I'm also willing to bet that they win at least 4, more likely 5 of those other contests.

Have you taken a look at Carolina this preseason? 
For those couple of series that the starting unit is on the field, they look like mid-season form. 

Nah, I haven't really ever put stock in the preseason. How many times did we see Peyton Manning's Colts go 0-4 in the preseason only to go 13-3, and only probably 14-2 if they didn't rest their starters in Week 17.

If I really bought heavily into the preseason, I would be deluded into thinking the Titans and 49ers were going to be unstoppable offenses. The 49ers are rushing for 210 yards/game (6.0 YPC) so far, the Titans for 192 yards/game (6.7 YPC) so far.

Meanwhile the Packers are holding teams to 179.5 total yards/game on defense.

- - - - - -

Don't get me wrong, I still think the Panthers will do well. I still predict them to win like 10 games, I just think they'll miss out on the playoffs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 09:54 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Not many of those teams are as stacked as Carolina though.

Usually teams that regress that hard lose a lot to FA or are devastated as injuries like you said.

And if any team has a legit shot at usurping the Panthers, it's Atlanta, no New Orleanes.

The Panthers went 7-8-1 in 2014. They were stacked then, too. That's after going 12-4 in 2013, too.

Not sure I trust Atlanta, or more specifically, Matt Ryan.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 10:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Panthers went 7-8-1 in 2014. They were stacked then, too. That's after going 12-4 in 2013, too.

Not sure I trust Atlanta, or more specifically, Matt Ryan.

Just makes me wonder how giggles has managed to do this for five years.

At this point, it's not even about how I don't see it happening on paper.

It's just that we're overdue for it.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 06:43 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I've seen our record predicted anywhere from 7-9 to 11-5.

BUT, what baffles me is that almost every "expert" or preview magazine has us losing a home game to the Eagles.

Can someone explain what people are seeing with this game?  It's not like the writers are picking the Eagles go go 13-3, most of them are picking the Eagles to be 6-10, 7-9.

I just don't get this one.
U forgot we were predicted r4-12
Reply/Quote
The so called experts will pick the big market team over the Bengals even if they do not believe it themselves.

It is all about the money.

AFC ....Division winners....NFC

Bengals...................Zimmer/ Bridgewater
Chiefs.....................Panthers
Colts.......................Jay Gruden
Patriots ..................Seattle

AFC....... Wild Card....NFC

Broncos...................Carson
Dolphins.................Lions

Had to throw a couple long shots in the mix.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 06:43 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I've seen our record predicted anywhere from 7-9 to 11-5.

BUT, what baffles me is that almost every "expert" or preview magazine has us losing a home game to the Eagles.

Can someone explain what people are seeing with this game?  It's not like the writers are picking the Eagles go go 13-3, most of them are picking the Eagles to be 6-10, 7-9.

I just don't get this one.

Sam Bradford (Kazoo) is a beast
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 08:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sports Illustrated has us going 10-6 and sweeping bith games from the Steelers, but losing to the Cowboys, Eagles, and Jets.

I would probably take that if that meant they won the AFCN, but realistically I will have some of what they are smoking!  Sam Bradford will crap his pants when he sees Geno, Carlos, and MJ
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 08:48 PM)McC Wrote: You really think the Panthers go from 15 wins to out of the playoffs?

There is some stat that the losing Super Bowl team misses the playoffs over 50% of the time, but I don't know exactly
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 08:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sports Illustrated has us going 10-6 and sweeping bith games from the Steelers, but losing to the Cowboys, Eagles, and Jets.

I can live with that even though I would get so many texts from my Jet-fan friends. They have a much higher level of "douchebaggery" than Giant fans.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 09:54 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Not many of those teams are as stacked as Carolina though.

Obviously it's preseason so it doesn't mean anything, but I guess I will consider this worth noting.

Cam Newton Week 3:  13/29 (44.8%), 100 yards (3.45 YPA), 0 TD/2 INT

That's honestly about as bad as I have ever seen a starting QB in a Week 3 preseason game. Let along the MVP.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 09:53 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I mean, it's possible.

This team was 8-0 and played against a 3-5 Texans and lost to them. And only gave up 33 yards to their best rusher. And gave up only 174 total passing yards.

Our offense choked in that game. I don't see our offense choking against Phili.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 07:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Philly, New York, Dallas, DC.... not hard to understand their big market favoritism there, but yeah.

Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if they send two teams to the postseason this year (Cowboys and Redskins), of course injuries permitting.

i see one team coming out of that mess of a division called the NFC East,, put those 4 teams with same roster and with the same story lines over the past two years in the AFC North and the media would be saying maybe someone will go 9-7 at best.  Because they are the big market and thrill up your leg teams for the media, that division gets over hyped. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2016, 01:03 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Our offense choked in that game. I don't see our offense choking against Phili.

I think the point is that almost every NFL team loses one game they should have had on paper each year.  It happens.  I realize the Browns are a division game, but we should beat them on paper every time we've faced them in the past decade or so, for example.

2012 - lost to the Browns and dropped a home game against the Dolphins
2013 - dropped one against a bad Browns team
2014 - crapped our collective pants against the Browns, got shutout by the Colts
2015 - lost to a 3-5 Texans team with a 3rd string QB in our own house when we were 8-0 for Pete's sake

Do I think the Eagles will beat us?  No.  But I think it's pretty clear that every year we (and countless other teams, good or bad) lose one of those "shoulda won" games.  The Bengals aren't going to win them all and the Eagles aren't going to lose them all, so it could happen.  Additionally, wouldn't we rag on the experts if they just constantly picked the team with the better record to win?  Anyone can do that.
Reply/Quote