Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Elephant in the room
(Ok, maybe not if it's been discussed in a thread I haven't read) But.....

Here we go again, and this time it's far more careless.

We all know how AJ was carried on the roster nearly all last season, and yet with Geno (specifically) and Daniels being out again this week, why haven't they put him/them on injured reserve?

It's only 3 weeks and with Geno missing a 3rd week, it looks like they have no idea what is going on with him or the roster options available to them this season.

This isn't very good roster management by any means, and while we ignored what happened with AJ last year, the coaches/fo should be wiser now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 05:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: (Ok, maybe not if it's been discussed in a thread I haven't read) But.....

Here we go again, and this time it's far more careless.

We all know how AJ was carried on the roster nearly all last season, and yet with Geno (specifically) and Daniels being out again this week, why haven't they put him/them on injured reserve?

It's only 3 weeks and with Geno missing a 3rd week, it looks like they have no idea what is going on with him or the roster options available to them this season.

This isn't very good roster management by any means, and while we ignored what happened with AJ last year, the coaches/fo should be wiser now.

It has been discussed about Geno maybe being out all season, but I am just hoping that the medical staff and coaches know more
than we do and think Geno and Daniels are just day to day. If Geno wasn't close I think they would of done what you said and 
added a DT or two off the waiver wire or brought in Snacks or Peko. Heck, I would bring one of them in now anyways we are so 
thin. Cannot have Reader playing that many snaps and wearing him out, this is stupid.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 06:18 PM)pally Wrote:

I have no idea what that means...  Can someone enlighten me?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 06:26 PM)Earendil Wrote: I have no idea what that means...  Can someone enlighten me?

He's praying. Means no they won't be there. 
Reply/Quote
means Geno has been out 3 weeks and the roster spot could have gone to someone who can actually contribute.

It also means we will see the defense we saw against Cleveland.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Ugh
Reply/Quote
As a have been saying for a while.... we need to start shedding off some of these past "Pro Bowl" players like Green, Geno , Dunlap.
They are stale, have worn down and cannot play full seasons anymore. Would rather have a bunch of fresh talent at this point
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 07:43 PM)kalibengal Wrote: As a have been saying for a while.... we need to start shedding off some of these past "Pro Bowl" players like Green, Geno , Dunlap.
They are stale, have worn down and cannot play full seasons anymore. Would rather have a bunch of fresh talent at this point

Yes, but not until the offseason. You won't find that fresh talent right now. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 09:45 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Yes, but not until the offseason. You won't find that fresh talent right now. 

To my point...they should have had the foresight to begin this process 2 yrs ago ..now we are stuck with more used up players past their prime who cant get on the field (Atkins, now add Daniels to that and waiting on Green to "tweak" something soon). Its piss poor planning...and now the value for Green is dropping. 
Hoping Burrow can get through this season with minimal damage and get the new blood in next yr hopefully  
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 06:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It has been discussed about Geno maybe being out all season, but I am just hoping that the medical staff and coaches know more
than we do and think Geno and Daniels are just day to day. If Geno wasn't close I think they would of done what you said and 
added a DT or two off the waiver wire or brought in Snacks or Peko. Heck, I would bring one of them in now anyways we are so 
thin. Cannot have Reader playing that many snaps and wearing him out, this is stupid.

Who reported that Geno may be out for the season? I haven't seen a single thing on what the actual injury is other than "Shoulder". 
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 10:42 PM)kalibengal Wrote: To my point...they should have had the foresight to begin this process 2 yrs ago ..now we are stuck with more used up players past their prime who cant get on the field (Atkins, now add Daniels to that and waiting on Green to "tweak" something soon). Its piss poor planning...and now the value for Green is dropping. 
Hoping Burrow can get through this season with minimal damage and get the new blood in next yr hopefully  

To your point, they did. They drafted Billings, Glasgow, Wren, and Topou and I'm sure probably a few others I'm probably forgetting. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 10:42 PM)kalibengal Wrote: To my point...they should have had the foresight to begin this process 2 yrs ago ..now we are stuck with more used up players past their prime who cant get on the field (Atkins, now add Daniels to that and waiting on Green to "tweak" something soon). Its piss poor planning...and now the value for Green is dropping. 

Go look at the draft and you'll get your answer. They did address this. The question is developing these draft choices, having draft choices (and FA/Current players) not get injured and having guys not opt out which is exactly what has happened to many DL on this team that was never expected.

Football is not like baseball where you can just make a quick couple trades to get a .300 hitter in the lineup or a good starter where scheme is not involved. There are players out there but they also get plucked up by other teams and are they as good a player or fit as what you currently have.
Reply/Quote
We're really feeling it this year because of the injuries but the tendency of the DL to not show up when needed the most has been going on for 2-3 years at least now. The inability of our pass rush to actually get home on a consistent basis and also the inability of the ends to seal off their edges properly against the run or rollout have been happening probably since 2016 or so.
Reply/Quote
I would chalk it up to gamesmanship if we didn't have a head coach who is 2-16. Basically knowing its a 4 to6 week injury and forcing teams to prepare to potentially having to face Geno. Taylor lost the benefit of the doubt 6 or 7 losses ago
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 08:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: To your point, they did. They drafted Billings, Glasgow, Wren, and Topou and I'm sure probably a few others I'm probably forgetting. 

None of those were higher than 4th round picks (Tupou wasn't drafted at all). Day 3 of the draft is for finding depth players, not new starters. When you're pointing to 4th rounders as "addressing the issue," you're just reinforcing the point. I mean of course we spent our day 3 picks on backup players, that's what you do. 

To be fair, I'm not actually saying they should've seen this coming and done something differently. I'm saying that NOW they need to see if they can trade Dunlap, and unless something changes both Dunlap and Atkins will be gone in the offseason. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 12:32 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: None of those were higher than 4th round picks (Tupou wasn't drafted at all). Day 3 of the draft is for finding depth players, not new starters. When you're pointing to 4th rounders as "addressing the issue," you're just reinforcing the point. I mean of course we spent our day 3 picks on backup players, that's what you do. 

To be fair, I'm not actually saying they should've seen this coming and done something differently. I'm saying that NOW they need to see if they can trade Dunlap, and unless something changes both Dunlap and Atkins will be gone in the offseason. 

Geno was a 4th round pick.

Anyways, he's practicing today, individual drills.

He'll be back.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 01:00 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Who reported that Geno may be out for the season? I haven't seen a single thing on what the actual injury is other than "Shoulder". 

Some posters on this board were overreacting and saying it, it was never reported.

Sorry if you misunderstood me, I was simply saying it was being discussed cause of overreaction and thinking of times in the past
when players went down and never came back. BTW, Geno is practicing, he may not play this Sunday but the next.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 12:32 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: None of those were higher than 4th round picks (Tupou wasn't drafted at all). Day 3 of the draft is for finding depth players, not new starters. When you're pointing to 4th rounders as "addressing the issue," you're just reinforcing the point. I mean of course we spent our day 3 picks on backup players, that's what you do. 

Totally different point. Even 1st-2nd rounders get injured and also opt out with the virus issue.
Reply/Quote

What round did you think Geno was drafted in?
And as far as Billings, he was projected to go as high as the late 1st or 2nd round. He fell because teams were drafting other needs that year.
Reply/Quote