Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Fallacy of White Privilege
(10-10-2016, 11:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  Not at all.

Why would you even say something like this?

Because a culture's beliefs, values, and norms are ingrained in someone from experiences and and repetition. An immigrant that has recently arrived from Bangladesh would not have any knowledge of this "White Privilege" that is supposedly part of this culture.

If you went to India would you immediately follow Hindu beliefs and customs?   
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-09-2016, 05:06 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: United Way. Salvation Army. You all look the same to me.   I don't see color. 
Lol. If I could rep from my phone, I would.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
(10-11-2016, 12:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Lol. If I could rep from my phone, I would.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk
Use your browser to open the specific thread, then you can.
It takes longer, but people should then realize that you must have really appreciated their contribution.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(10-10-2016, 05:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because a culture's beliefs, values, and norms are ingrained in someone from experiences and and repetition. An immigrant that has recently arrived from Bangladesh would not have any knowledge of this "White Privilege" that is supposedly part of this culture.

If you went to India would you immediately follow Hindu beliefs and customs?   

Whatever happened to the statement that "Good immigrants are the ones that assimilate the best to our culture."  

Why would you say that if you think it is impossible for them to assimilate?

BTE if I went to live and get a job in India then, yes, I would try to learn about their culture.
Here's a blatant example of White Priveledge:

Whitey got to take the scenic route while folks of color had to stay on the pavement.

(10-28-2016, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Here's a blatant example of White Priveledge:

Whitey got to take the scenic route while folks of color had to stay on the pavement.

I saw that on Yahoo couple days ago.  Stupid.

Did you watch the video?
(10-01-2016, 04:01 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: There's no way to prove your story is completely made up bullshit, but it sure sounds like it on multiple levels.  My black friends in NY call Uber.  My white friends in NY do the same.  And none of them are waiting around for an hour to call Uber.

It's extremely suspicious stories like the above presented as routine occurrence that make it impossible to take these people seriously.

You just need some perspective. Here, read this book!
(10-13-2016, 09:12 AM)L fredtoast Wrote: Whatever happened to the statement that "Good immigrants are the ones that assimilate the best to our culture."  

Why would you say that if you think it is impossible for them to assimilate?

BTE if I went to live and get a job in India then, yes, I would try to learn about their culture.

Because assimilation is a generational transition. You generally don't see immigrant families assimilate until their 2nd or 3rd generation. The idea that assimilation is a seamless transition is bullshit and doesn't concise with the data.
(10-09-2016, 10:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why no comments on this?

Maybe because the anecdote was made-up BS?

People here don't usually give a "thumbs up" when they agree.
--------------------------------------------------------

Stop with insulting each other, guys. Get back to discussing the topic on hand respectfully please. If not, we can always use the extra bandwidth ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(10-29-2016, 01:42 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Because assimilation is a generational transition. You generally don't see immigrant families assimilate until their 2nd or 3rd generation. The idea that assimilation is a seamless transition is bullshit and doesn't concise with the data.

That's BS. 
(10-28-2016, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Here's a blatant example of White Priveledge:

Actually, its a blatant example of racism.

Lol. What in the exact hell are they protesting? Isn't Berkeley the safest space in safe space history?
(10-29-2016, 02:00 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Lol. What in the exact hell are they protesting? Isn't Berkeley the safest space in safe space history?
Well according to one of the Terrorists, it was against Whiteness.

(10-29-2016, 09:30 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That's BS. 

Except it's not bullshit. It's the truth:http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/02/07/second-generation-americans/?src=rss_main

Overall, second generation immigrants are far more likely than their parents to do many things that ties into assimilation:
1. They're more likely to speak fluent English.
2.They're more likely to have friends and marry outside their ethnic groups.
3.They make more money.
4. They're more likely to hold "American values" close to them.

It's not all created equal though. Some second generation groups see more gains than others, but each group still makes absolute gains when compared to their first generation.

The reason behind the difference is what Bfine was alluding too. When you're born from one country and emigrate to another, you're not going to forget the culture from your homeland and change to the new one overnight. Even if you wanted to, there are language and socioeconomic barriers that make it easier said than done.

I'm reminded of this sexy mexican girl I know who helps her parents run their flea market stand in Flordia. Let's call he Sexy Mexi. Her parents emigrated from Mexcio and they had her soon after. Since she was born in the U.S and spent her entire life here, she understood and spoke English much better than mama and papa. Most days at the flea market are here acting as a translator for her parents. 

After spending some time in the latino communitty, I found that Sexy Mexi's situation wasn't the exception; it was the rule.

You can also see what i'm talking about in labor market decisions as well. The norm in the U.S right now is for both men and women in the household to work. Other countries, however, place a higher emphasis on gender roles and stress that women should stay home and do housework.

When Immigrants from more traditional countries come to the U.S, their women participate in the labor force as much as the women who stayed behind. But, when you look at the LFP (Labor Force Participation) of women in the second and third generation, you see their LFP has a much smaller relationship with their home countries':http://www.jstor.org/stable/1805605
(10-29-2016, 05:36 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Except it's not bullshit. It's the truth:http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/02/07/second-generation-americans/?src=rss_main

Overall, second generation immigrants are far more likely than their parents to do many things that ties into assimilation:
3.They make more money.

It's not all created equal though. Some second generation groups see more gains than others, but each group still makes absolute gains when compared to their first generation.

The reason behind the difference is what Bfine was alluding too. When you're born from one country and emigrate to another, you're not going to forget the culture from your homeland and change to the new one overnight. Even if you wanted to, there are language and socioeconomic barriers that make it easier said than done.

I'm reminded of this sexy mexican girl I know who helps her parents run their flea market stand in Flordia. Let's call he Sexy Mexi. Her parents emigrated from Mexcio and they had her soon after. Since she was born in the U.S and spent her entire life here, she understood and spoke English much better than mama and papa. Most days at the flea market are here acting as a translator for her parents. 

Good points.  Speaking from experience, I can say that moving to a foreign country is generally much more difficult for adults than children. And how well/quickly one assimilates also depends on how close the "target" culture is to one's own, the place one came from.  If you are a white American, moving to Great Britain would be much easier than moving to Germany. Either would be much easier than moving to Jordan or China--assuming that you would be living on the economy, subject to host nation laws.  (I think that India would be easier than Jordan or China, given that English is one of its official languages, and many of its institutions are based upon British--this is assuming you have a middle-class job and income.)

Same thing goes in reverse. People coming to the US, as a group, assimilate more or less rapidly according to the distance between their culture of origin and US culture.  A white person from France will blend in much more quickly and easily than a black person from southern Morocco.  Middle-class families with business or university backgrounds from any country tend to do well in the US.  

Finally, I should add that literate societies tend to move better than pre-literate--hence the difficulty of indigenous peoples the world over to adjust to modernizing states and economies, whether in North America, Asia, Africa, or South America.
It may be easier for Chinese businessmen to assimilate to U.S. culture than for some Native Americans.
(10-29-2016, 02:00 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Lol. What in the exact hell are they protesting? Isn't Berkeley the safest space in safe space history?

They want  "the creation of additional “safe spaces” for transgender and nonwhite students".

....how much longer do we have to wait for that perfect earthquake to sink California into the ocean? Nice safe space underwater.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(10-29-2016, 05:21 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Maybe because the anecdote was made-up BS?

You think this    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/race-cab-hailing-ride-black-white/story?id=7223511 

is an anecdote?

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
(10-29-2016, 05:36 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Except it's not bullshit. It's the truth:http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/02/07/second-generation-americans/?src=rss_main

3.They make more money.

After spending some time in the latino communitty, I found that Sexy Mexi's situation wasn't the exception; it was the rule.

You can also see what i'm talking about in labor market decisions as well. The norm in the U.S right now is for both men and women in the household to work. Other countries, however, place a higher emphasis on gender roles and stress that women should stay home and do housework.

When Immigrants from more traditional countries come to the U.S, their women participate in the labor force as much as the women who stayed behind. But, when you look at the LFP (Labor Force Participation) of women in the second and third generation, you see their LFP has a much smaller relationship with their home countries':http://www.jstor.org/stable/1805605

I'm reminded of this woman I know, we'll call her my wife. According to your definition, she is a second generation "immigrant."  I'm reminder of a girl I know, we'll call her my daughter. According to your definition, she is a third generation "immigrant."

However, neither immigrated to the US.  They are both natural born US citizens. The idea they are "immigrants" is funny to me. How many generations does a US citizen's family need to be US citizens before they lose the ___ generation immigrant moniker and are on equal footing with other US citizens?
(10-30-2016, 12:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You think this    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/race-cab-hailing-ride-black-white/story?id=7223511 

is an anecdote?

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Interesting story, but what it doesn't do the work on is what percentage of taxi robberies are done by who. If 60-80% of taxi robberies happen by black men at night, then why are the cab drivers at fault? 

Of course if that's not the case, then it is clearly a bad thing. 

That said, a decade ago (when that story was talking about with Glover), 84% of NY cab drivers were immigrants. Bangladesh, India, Haiti, Pakistan mostly. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]