Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Fallacy of White Privilege
(10-01-2016, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Two facts that white privilege exists.

1.  Racial profiling has been proven and even admitted to by police officers.  It is a privilege for white people not to be subject to racial profiling.

2.  Just 25 years ago all across the south the wealthy elite belonged to all white country clubs.  This is proof that they were racists.  These people were the ones who controlled economic decisions.  White people benefited from having the economic powers favor them.  They got better jobs, more promotions, and more business contracts than minorities.  The economic benefits from this meant that their children went to better schools and had more access to education resources like tutors, computers, summer camps, etc.  So this generation is still benefiting from having the people in power favor white people over black people.

1. That just makes the cops smart     Ninja x 1,000,000
2. 25 years ago is ancient history Fred. Look up ancient you moron. The only color that matters is green. If you are rich you got it made in America. And I am cool with that because I will be rich tomorrow!!!!  Ninja x 1,000,000

And absent my sarcasm, I've just spoken for a broad section of the MB, aka the deplorables.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(10-01-2016, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Two facts that white privilege exists.

1.  Racial profiling has been proven and even admitted to by police officers.  It is a privilege for white people not to be subject to racial profiling.

2.  Just 25 years ago all across the south the wealthy elite belonged to all white country clubs.  This is proof that they were racists.  These people were the ones who controlled economic decisions.  White people benefited from having the economic powers favor them.  They got better jobs, more promotions, and more business contracts than minorities.  The economic benefits from this meant that their children went to better schools and had more access to education resources like tutors, computers, summer camps, etc.  So this generation is still benefiting from having the people in power favor white people over black people.

1. racism

2. racism

White privilege is simply racism renamed. White privilege is indeed a fallacy in that context. Racism exists, so if you re-name it, whatever you call it still exists, but is still really just racism. Reverse discrimination also exists. So if you want to say white privilege is a thing, then you have to say black, brown, yellow, etc privilege is also a thing. They exist also.
(10-02-2016, 09:53 AM)Beaker Wrote:  So if you want to say white privilege is a thing, then you have to say black, brown, yellow, etc privilege is also a thing. They exist also.

Wrong.

Racism is only a privilege for the majority that benefit from it.  I agree that minorities can be just as racists as white people but they do not control the power and wealth in this country so their racism does not create a privilege for them.

And people who cry "I have never benefited from white privilege" probably have.  They have no way of knowing if they would have been stopped by the police at some time or passed over for a job they got if they had been a minority instead of a white person.

Many scientific studies prove it happens, so none of you can definitely say "I have never benefited".
(10-02-2016, 02:42 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Nope.  Does running from a wild lion make you a lion hater?  Now the lion's feelz may be hurt, but the lion isn't actually being oppressed.

And truth be told, most of these scenarios are less about racial prejudice and much more about geographic or socioeconomic prejudice (which we might more broadly refer to as "gross discomfort" with surroundings)....but that doesn't align with the agitator's playbook.

Prejudice and bias is natural, as the above illustrates.  Acting on those biases in a way that causes unjust harm is racism.  But, again, that doesn't align with the agitator's playbook.

So by your standard, a separate (but equal) "whites only" water fountain isn't racism because no one is unjustly harmed.  And you just compared other races to animals.
(10-02-2016, 09:15 AM)xxlt Wrote: And that is the beauty of stupidity. If you had watched in transpire you would still not believe it. And remember, if you ever have trouble maintaining your delusional beliefs and rejecting anything that counters them, you can get drugs from your doctor to help you maintain.

Yes, I cannot believe the stupidity of someone waiting an hour for a cab, and then trying to play musical cabs...when all they had to do was call Uber.

I don't think someone can be that stupid, which is why I don't believe the story. Next you'll be telling me all three cab drivers were white.
--------------------------------------------------------

(10-02-2016, 10:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.

Racism is only a privilege for the majority that benefit from it.  I agree that minorities can be just as racists as white people but they do not control the power and wealth in this country so their racism does not create a privilege for them.

And people who cry "I have never benefited from white privilege" probably have.  They have no way of knowing if they would have been stopped by the police at some time or passed over for a job they got if they had been a minority instead of a white person.

Many scientific studies prove it happens, so none of you can definitely say "I have never benefited".

Not wrong. If you want to say its "privilege" when whites benefit, then you have to say its privilege when minorities benefit. When minorities benefit from reverse discrimination then that is their "privilege". There are substantial numbers of rich minorities, so therefore, they have "benefited".  Or do you contend that when a minority makes it and is wealthy it is from hard work, and when a white person does it it is from "privilege"? Again, the whole thing is simply another name for racism....and racism doesn't need another name.
(10-02-2016, 03:25 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Yes, I cannot believe the stupidity of someone waiting an hour for a cab, and then trying to play musical cabs...when all they had to do was call Uber.

I don't think someone can be that stupid, which is why I don't believe the story.  Next you'll be telling me all three cab drivers were white.

I know for a fact it happened, because the person who told me this story has character beyond reproach. He was so shocked and disappointed by the flagrant racism he witnessed he made a point to tell me about it. He said when his friend called and said, "Would you please come down from your apartment and get me a cab?" he thought the friend was joking. It took a long time before he realized it was not a joke. Then he walked out, stopped a cab immediately, and then turned to the black man and said, "See, that wasn't so hard." Then the cab drove away. After that happened the third time, the black man said, "You need to get in the cab first or we will be here all night." And that is how he got a cab.

I know, I know, couldn't have happened because he didn't call Uber!

Look, I don't know why he didn't call Uber, and I don't give a flying ****. But it probably had something to do with it being between 2 and 3 AM. If you can get an Uber at that time, you will probably pay a "surge fee" meaning the ride could cost up to 7X as much as a regular Uber. I know you don't believe that either, but a friend in Florida said he had a choice a few weeks ago at 3AM. He could drive home drunk, or pay the 7X charge. Since this person had no reason to lie, I believed he paid dramatically more to get home at 3AM than he did to get to his destination at 7PM. But I digress.

The other reason the gentleman in New York probably didn't call Uber, or Lyft, or the helicopter service at LaGaurdia, is because he said to his host, "Is it hard to get a cab from your place late at night?" before deciding to come to the party. He was told no, there are cabs out there all the time. And he walked out and sure enough, there were cabs without fares that continued to drive by him until he got the previously described help from his white friend.

You can deny or rationalize it all you want but racism is as American as (formerly all white) baseball and apple pie (which used to be cheaper because food was produced and transported more economically by slaves). Not sure if your head is in the sand or up your ass, but congratulations on choosing a great respirator that has somehow managed to deliver a modicum of oxygen to your brain and keep you alive.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(10-02-2016, 01:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So by your standard, a separate (but equal) "whites only" water fountain isn't racism because no one is unjustly harmed.  And you just compared other races to animals.

Pointing these things out only reveals how racist you are. You sir, are the worst kind of racist. You are a traitor to your race and a lion lover. Wink
(10-02-2016, 05:45 PM)Beaker Wrote:  There are substantial numbers of rich minorities, so therefore, they have "benefited".  

I don't even know what kind of argument you are trying to make here.  The fact that some black people succeed and some white people fail does nothing to disprove the fact that there is a white privilege.  That is like saying that the fact that some blind people have succeeded means there is no benefit to being able to see.

(10-02-2016, 05:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: Or do you contend that when a minority makes it and is wealthy it is from hard work, and when a white person does it it is from "privilege"?

I don't make any judgments based on individual success or failure.  I can find examples of people who have smoked their entire lives and do not have lung or heart disease, but I would never try to claim that proves that smoking is not dangerous to your health. 

(10-02-2016, 05:45 PM)Beaker Wrote:  Again, the whole thing is simply another name for racism....and racism doesn't need another name.

And, again, you are wrong.  Racism only creates a privilege for the majority that benefits from it.  Do you claim that there was no white privilege in the southern states in the 1800's just because the black people hated the white people?

Racism and privilege are two totally different concepts.
(10-01-2016, 08:45 AM)xxlt Wrote: Funny you mention not being able to get a cab. In NYC in 2016 my white friend hails a cab immediately in front of his building any time day or night. When his clean cut, professional, 40 year old friend who is black tries to hail a cab he can't get one for over an hour, and finally has to call my white friend to come down from his apartment to stop three cabs in five minutes, which all pull away when they realize the ride is for the black guy. Cab four my white friend gets in, then the black friend gets in, then the white friend gets out. This is what a black man has to do in 2016 to get a cab in what some call "the greatest city on earth," New York City. I'm sure if he were rich the indignity would just roll right off.

xxlt Wrote:There is some complete and utter bullshit in this thread, and you are slinging it champ.

Yep. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-02-2016, 10:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Racism is only a privilege for the majority that benefit from it. 

The above quote answers your first point below. If the minorities benefit from it, then they are "privileged" also. Successful minorities are privileged by your definition.

(10-02-2016, 06:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote:
(10-02-2016, 06:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't even know what kind of argument you are trying to make here.  

Do you claim that there was no white privilege in the southern states in the 1800's just because the black people hated the white people?

Racism and privilege are two totally different concepts.

There was racism in the southern states in the 1800's. But that doesn't change the fact that this false concept of white privilege is simply racism re-named. I am not denying these racist things happen, but that's what they are....racism. If you receive any kind of favoritism over another person based solely upon the color of your skin, that's racism. The person who received the benefit was not privileged....the person who gave them the benefit was racist. Again, we do not need another name for something that already has a name. Its already divisive enough, we don't need a second, made up concept to enhance the divisiveness that already exists.
If we are talking about actual racism and hatred toward minorities we have had members post ON THIS BOARD that meet those requirements.

And yes, they feel the "white race" (whatever that is) is better and more deserving than any minority that is "given" things.

Like I said before the bitching and moaning that somehow, someway a minority is getting "something" that a white isn't is the highest form of "white privilege" thinking.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-02-2016, 05:53 PM)xxlt Wrote: Pointing these things out only reveals how racist you are. You sir, are the worst kind of racist. You are a traitor to your race and a lion lover. Wink
With my astrological sign being Leo, should I be nervous ?

Somewhat on topic....

There is black privilege.
It only takes one drop of African-American blood to be considered black, by the federal government.
A person of Native American decent needs to be 25% native blood to be recognized as Native American.

So....yeah.... redman getting the shaft again.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(10-02-2016, 05:50 PM)xxlt Wrote: I know for a fact it happened, because the person who told me this story has character beyond reproach.

Look, I don't know why he didn't call Uber, and I don't give a flying ****. But it probably had something to do with it being between 2 and 3 AM.

Oh...OK....Beyond reproach - so, you don't actually KNOW FOR A FACT it happened.   Yeah, I've heard that line before.  YHe's pulling your leg - this story is bullshit, it's beyond incredulous on multiple levels.  It's not that he didn't call Uber - it's that he NEVER called Uber despite all the hassles, and waited over an hour to even call his friend.  This wreaks of bullshit - you're gullible.

And it's not possible relevant facts are being withheld and other parts grossly embellished?  Because when you tell me he can't get a cab for an hour....well, ok, I think that's dubious if dozens of cabs are going by.

But when you tell me 3-4 cabs left when the white guy got out, now THAT is clearly bullshit.  I'm going to guess he was being profiled for where he was going, which apparently turned out to be true....namely that there isn't a return fair from where he went.

Because most NY cab drivers are neither white nor American and just looking to make a buck.

(10-02-2016, 08:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Like I said before the bitching and moaning that somehow, someway a minority is getting "something" that a white isn't is the highest form of "white privilege" thinking.

I'm sorry....is that not factual thinking?  Are there not programs, opportunities and various things given to people solely for being a minority?

(10-03-2016, 01:00 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm sorry....is that not factual thinking?  Are there not programs, opportunities and various things given to people solely for being a minority?

I'll say you are.

Still complaining that a minority can get an "opportunity" a white person cannot is just sad.

Do you know why?

Because white people can get them too!

Ain't facts fun?!?!

Or do you complain about scholarships just for lefthanded people? Or redheads? or any of the other "opportunities" that poor, oppressed right handed and blonde white people don't have this country?

Grow up.
(10-03-2016, 07:16 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'll say you are.

Still complaining that a minority can get an "opportunity" a white person cannot is just sad.

Do you know why?

Because white people can get them too!

Ain't facts fun?!?!

Or do you complain about scholarships just for lefthanded people? Or redheads? or any of the other "opportunities" that poor, oppressed right handed and blonde white people don't have this country?

Grow up.

So I can get a government grant or loan as a minority to start a business? My kids can get scholarships from the NAACP or UNCF? There are hundreds if not thousands of aid programs for education and business assistance that minorities are eligible for that whites can't get in addition to the programs that everyone is eligible for. 
(10-03-2016, 11:23 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: So I can get a government grant or loan as a minority to start a business? My kids can get scholarships from the NAACP or UNCF? There are hundreds if not thousands of aid programs for education and business assistance that minorities are eligible for that whites can't get in addition to the programs that everyone is eligible for. 

Nope. 

But you can get a grant or load to start a business.  You kids can get scholarships.

You are as eligible as anyone else for those.

And more likely to get them.
(10-03-2016, 07:16 AM)GMDino Wrote: Or do you complain about scholarships just for lefthanded people? Or redheads?

Well.....no.

EVERYONE has pity for those weirdos.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(10-03-2016, 01:00 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm sorry....is that not factual thinking?  Are there not programs, opportunities and various things given to people solely for being a minority?

So a minority privilege?