Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Five Elephants in the Room
Let’s talk about the Bengals’ run game or, more to the point, the lack thereof. Does Joe Mixon just have poor vision? Is Giovani Bernard losing a step? Is the offensive line opening holes and the running backs just can’t see them?

Obviously the answer is a resounding “No!” to all three questions. Facing the truth is always good and the truth is the offensive line stinks at run blocking. It’s why Cincinnati is throwing the ball over 70% of the time on offense. Those five blobs couldn’t open a can of tuna much less a hole for a running back to get through.

There are zero rushing touchdowns in eight games from either Joe Mixon or Giovani Bernard — and the lack of push up front is why. This is absolutely unacceptable in the NFL. There is no creativity in blocking going on; I don’t see guards pull, tackles push, or the center working with an adjacent guard to open a gap. They just stand up and hope they hit someone — and there’s no excuse for being coached that badly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There was a drive in the 2nd quarter where we could run the ball...and it was because we were throwing the ball to TE's and RB's and being unpredictable.

It's easy to just blame the line as they are bad...but they're not this bad. A lot of these guys started last year when Mixon led the AFC in rushing.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s talk about the Bengals’ run game or, more to the point, the lack thereof.  Does Joe Mixon just have poor vision?  Is Giovani Bernard losing a step?  Is the offensive line opening holes and the running backs just can’t see them?

Obviously the answer is a resounding “No!” to all three questions.  Facing the truth is always good and the truth is the offensive line stinks at run blocking.  It’s why Cincinnati is throwing the ball over 70% of the time on offense.  Those five blobs couldn’t open a can of tuna much less a hole for a running back to get through.

There are zero rushing touchdowns in eight games from either Joe Mixon or Giovani Bernard — and the lack of push up front is why.  This is absolutely unacceptable in the NFL.  There is no creativity in blocking going on; I don’t see guards pull, tackles push, or the center working with an adjacent guard to open a gap.  They just stand up and hope they hit someone — and there’s no excuse for being coached that badly.

You said the magic word....COACHED 
Jim Turner was unemployed for a reason before this year. Why. Because simply no matter where 
He's coached his o-lines have underachieved.
The oline when you simplify it comes down to cohesion ...chemistry.....and just pure desire to dominate 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:24 PM)impactplaya Wrote: You said the magic word....COACHED 
Jim Turner was unemployed for a reason before this year. Why. Because simply no matter where 
The oline when you simplify it comes down to cohesion ...chemistry.....and just pure desire to dominate 

I thought Jim Turner was unemployed because the PC police arrested him, or something?
Reply/Quote

He was at Texas A&M. He was pretty much blackballed from the NFL from bullygate.
Reply/Quote

Remember King Midas from Greek legend? Everything King Midas touched turned to gold. Jim Turner, the offensive line coach, has a reverse Midas touch. Everything he touches turns to crap.

Here’s what I understand. All of the players on the Cincinnati Bengals offensive line were great players in college. The ones who played for other teams other than the Bengals before coming to Cincinnati were solid players.

So, we ask ourselves, what happened to them? Why have they regressed? The answer is very very simple. Jim Turner happened to them, and he has turned his reverse Midas touch on the Cincinnati Bengals. If any coaches are fired over the bye week, it should be this clown first.

Most teams coach their players up. Jim Turner coached the Bengals down. The man is a menace and has no business coaching.

He’s been an issue at Miami and at Texas A&M. He’s poison. Period.
Reply/Quote
Makes me wish Paul Alexander never left
That's pretty bad
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:48 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Makes me wish Paul Alexander never left
That's pretty bad

I wish Frank Pollack had stayed!
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I wish Frank Pollack had stayed!

That man was a miracle worker in hindsight.

Fwiw, I've run out of words to describe just how bad this line is.

It went from "embarrassment" to something below that. I don't think the NFL has ever seen a line so bad.

We're on pace to give up 56 sacks and We're averaging less than 60 rush yards on around 3.0 ypc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That man was a miracle worker in hindsight.

It went from "embarrassment" to something below that. I don't think the NFL has ever seen a line so bad.

It’s not even a line. It’s a bunch of line segments.

(...and you thought you would never use fourth grade geometry again!)
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That man was a miracle worker in hindsight.

Well...the supposedly fired Pollack to bring in Turner who was ZT's friend. ZT actually got the UC OC job...as Turner recommended him to Tuberville.

Oh how things come full circle!
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s talk about the Bengals’ run game or, more to the point, the lack thereof.  Does Joe Mixon just have poor vision?  Is Giovani Bernard losing a step?  Is the offensive line opening holes and the running backs just can’t see them?

Obviously the answer is a resounding “No!” to all three questions.  Facing the truth is always good and the truth is the offensive line stinks at run blocking.  It’s why Cincinnati is throwing the ball over 70% of the time on offense.  Those five blobs couldn’t open a can of tuna much less a hole for a running back to get through.

There are zero rushing touchdowns in eight games from either Joe Mixon or Giovani Bernard — and the lack of push up front is why.  This is absolutely unacceptable in the NFL.  There is no creativity in blocking going on; I don’t see guards pull, tackles push, or the center working with an adjacent guard to open a gap.  They just stand up and hope they hit someone — and there’s no excuse for being coached that badly.

The scheme used is flawed and we got a glimpse of its Achilles Heal in last year's Super Bowl when New England stifled this scheme and held Rams to 3 points and their running game was non-existent. That's what the Bengals offense looks like this year.

Mixon had more than 50 yard before half time, but the Bengals pretty much abandoned the run once they were down two scores even though there was more than a quarter to go.

This clusterf'k isn't going to be fixed with this coaching staff in place. They just need to go. They seem to know only one way and can't think on their feet.

Reply/Quote
I really felt bad for Redmond when he was being carted off. Dude looked devastated. Reminds me that these guys are human beings off the field.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 02:17 AM)Brimey Wrote: I really felt bad for Redmond when he was being carted off. Dude looked devastated. Reminds me that these guys are human beings off the field.

He also used PEDs if you recall. I do like Alex based on interviews, he seemed like a nerd, but he's not the best on the field.
Reply/Quote
I was hoping for more discipline and accountability this year. ZT preached accountability prior to the season. We haven’t seen any accountability at all. I understand with the injury count it’s tough to hold some accountable when you have to play them because that’s all you got, but man, this is insane. The losing affects me less and less every game and heck, I wasn’t the least bit angry yesterday over the L. What did anger me is attitude. These guys don’t show that desire. Add that to the fact that Andy is still in there, and I get the feeling the coaches lack the desire. Now is when you start seeing what you have for next season. Not the time to remain with your philosophy that got you to 0-8.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 07:48 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was hoping for more discipline and accountability this year. ZT preached accountability prior to the season. We haven’t seen any accountability at all. I understand with the injury count it’s tough to hold some accountable when you have to play them because that’s all you got, but man, this is insane. The losing affects me less and less every game and heck, I wasn’t the least bit angry yesterday over the L. What did anger me is attitude. These guys don’t show that desire. Add that to the fact that Andy is still in there, and I get the feeling the coaches lack the desire. Now is when you start seeing what you have for next season. Not the time to remain with your philosophy that got you to 0-8.

Pretty much my thoughts and feelings as well. I think back to the Seattle game, where they had some discipline and desire and can't help but wonder WTF happened ?
Reply/Quote
Taylor hired a clown show for a pool of assistants. That, if nothing else, showed his inexperience, and it may ultimately cost him his job.

In 18 years.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote