Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fumble call
(09-13-2021, 05:41 PM)TheFan Wrote: Agreed. Pretty much every Bengals fan would be pissed and talking about how the NFL wasn't going to let us win if that play was Mixon fumbling. 

I agree it wasn't conclusive either way but people who say for sure one way or the other is only seeing what they want to see. 

My biggest complaint about officiating is, unlike a lot that claim bias, they give the 'benefit of the doubt' on bang bang calls--and they have to. The thing is, while i don't believe they're biased, they will give that benefit to good teams over bad teams and it's not necessarily consciously. They know which team is good and which is bad, so when a bang bang play happens, they do the human thing, most of the time. It's why it seems like every time the Bengals play the Steelers, those calls always go the Steelers way. 

In a game like Sunday, neither team is necessarily better or worse than the other, so there's a better chance of them getting the call over the Vikings. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 11:02 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Dude, your.avatar is how I picture your face when typing your posts... you are by far one of the most negative/bitchy posters on this board.  Holy sh!t, go root for another team or something!

I’ve been on this board for 5 years now and I’ve never seen a member get called out as much as him. There was 2-3 different people in the GDT yesterday alone lol. Just an absolute black cloud. I’ve not used the ignore function yet here, but I’m getting really close with Mr. Booth.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 12:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve been on this board for 5 years now and I’ve never seen a member get called out as much as him. There was 2-3 different people in the GDT yesterday alone lol. Just an absolute black cloud. I’ve not used the ignore function yet here, but I’m getting really close with Mr. Booth.

C’mon don’t be a baby

And I only get angry responses from the same 4/5 posters

One of which is you
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 12:27 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: My biggest complaint about officiating is, unlike a lot that claim bias, they give the 'benefit of the doubt' on bang bang calls--and they have to. The thing is, while i don't believe they're biased, they will give that benefit to good teams over bad teams and it's not necessarily consciously. They know which team is good and which is bad, so when a bang bang play happens, they do the human thing, most of the time. It's why it seems like every time the Bengals play the Steelers, those calls always go the Steelers way. 

In a game like Sunday, neither team is necessarily better or worse than the other, so there's a better chance of them getting the call over the Vikings. 

Mostly true. But we have also seen some REALLY bad stuff (like the blatant spearing of Gio in the 2015 playoff game that they ignored). The NFL should have fired the head referee the day after the game at the latest (John Parry). That was the play out of a series of dirty Stealer plays that were all both flagrant and uncalled that caused the Bengal players to start to hit back - and then the flags flew. 

Besides that, the big issue is inconsistency. The exact same play can be clean or a foul depending on which official is looking. This is partly the fault of the league not really doing anything to refs who abuse their position and ambiguous rules. 
Reply/Quote
I can't lie.. I'd probably be really pissed if it was us. I know there is alot of posters on here that would say cant blame tbe refs, or it should've never came down to that. I get a lil negative in the game threads sometimes. The Bengals have always been the 1 thing I really enjoy though. There is alot of good posters on here that are completely un-biased..
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 12:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve been on this board for 5 years now and I’ve never seen a member get called out as much as him. There was 2-3 different people in the GDT yesterday alone lol. Just an absolute black cloud. I’ve not used the ignore function yet here, but I’m getting really close with Mr. Booth.

Yeah he sucks 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 01:42 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Yeah he sucks 

Quit giving me rep then lmao jeez, pal
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 11:02 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Dude, your.avatar is how I picture your face when typing your posts... you are by far one of the most negative/bitchy posters on this board. 

Sometimes curmudgeons do that by design. It doesn't mean they don't have something to contribute. FB is worlds better than a poster back on the original boards, SloppyLombardiSlaps. 

Reply/Quote
There wasn’t enough evidence to overturn it. If the Vikings didn’t like the call they should have held onto the ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 12:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve been on this board for 5 years now and I’ve never seen a member get called out as much as him. There was 2-3 different people in the GDT yesterday alone lol. Just an absolute black cloud. I’ve not used the ignore function yet here, but I’m getting really close with Mr. Booth.

Sad to go through life being so negative.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 05:40 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Sometimes curmudgeons do that by design. It doesn't mean they don't have something to contribute. FB is worlds better than a poster back on the original boards, SloppyLombardiSlaps. 

Wasn't he the one with the Schwarzenegger avatar?  I would cringe every time I saw that pop up.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I take it but I would have been upset for the same play against us.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 01:50 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Quit giving me rep then lmao jeez, pal

Figured it might make you less of a sour ***** all the time. 
Reply/Quote
I think it really came down to there not being enough evidence to overturn it. As others have said, had he been called down by contact, they still wouldn't have overturned it.

As far as anti-Bengals bias goes, I used to think it was a real thing. Then I realized that officiating league wide just sucks. That said, I do believe that certain teams get preferential calls because they are money makers for the league. It's probably not always conscious, but it's still there.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 05:21 PM)Mer Wrote: I thoroughly was expecting them to overturn it. And I did think Jefferson got screwed out of a touchdown.

Same.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:20 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: This.

I view it as the universe paying us back for all the bad calls and non-calls we've suffered over the years.

it was making up for tyler boyd against Steelers
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:18 PM)Stewy Wrote: The ball was in the process of coming (being pulled) out as he was going down.  Difficult to over turn that.

However, if he had been called down on the field, I doubt it would have been over turned.

The field call was going to be confirmed either way because of how close it was.

I agree. But the replay seriously looked like he still was covering the point of the ball and only his arm was stretched out... like they just moved his arm when he hit the turf. I heard (after the game) that giving the call to the home team is best for the NFL to keep fans in the seats....

(09-13-2021, 03:25 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: They had no choice but to stick with the call on the field. It was very close and in reality I think it was probably coming loose as he was still slightly in the air. Not gonna argue with anyone who thinks otherwise because no one really knows. Hence them having to let the call stand. It would have stood if they ruled him down on the field too....

Now the almost TD that Zim challenged and lost. I 100% thought that was a TD and should have been overturned.

So did the people around me. I again thought he was down... but why throw the challenge flag? That loss of TO really came back around and hurt the Vikings. I mean you are on the 1-yard line... if you can't punch it in, you do not deserve to win.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 01:08 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I agree. But the replay seriously looked like he still was covering the point of the ball and only his arm was stretched out... like they just moved his arm when he hit the turf. I heard (after the game) that giving the call to the home team is best for the NFL to keep fans in the seats....

#1 - That sounds like abject speculation.
#2 - When has that ever mattered for the Bengals?  Since when did the NFL care about the Bengals winning.....ever?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 01:57 PM)Stewy Wrote: #1 - That sounds like abject speculation.
#2 - When has that ever mattered for the Bengals?  Since when did the NFL care about the Bengals winning.....ever?

#1. It is an opinion. It should sound like all the other opinions. I was at the game and watched it. I also watched the replays. So I am not speculating, per definition.

#2. Where did I say "the NFL cares about the Bengals, and now they matter?"

#3.  If you dislike my opinions you don't have to comment. I am not trying to argue.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 09:55 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Wasn't he the one with the Schwarzenegger avatar?  I would cringe every time I saw that pop up.   

Yep. It was at a weird angle or distorted or something. 

Also all his incendiary hot takes/trolling was exhausting. I would basically stop reading a thread when I saw he had posted in it. 

Reply/Quote