Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The GOP War on Books
(06-07-2024, 10:10 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Then the burden is on you to prove it?

I have never seen LEXX displayed, but I am also not imagining windmills to tilt.

Sometimes unpopular items are not displayed, it is life. Those who cannot accept it make up other reasons.

Predictable.

You are using a false equivalency.  Just because something are not displayed due to space or lack of interest doesn't mean other things should not be displayed because one person got their feelings hurt seeing it.

Different circumstances.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2024, 11:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: You are using a false equivalency.  Just because something are not displayed due to space or lack of interest doesn't mean other things should not be displayed because one person got their feelings hurt seeing it.

Different circumstances.

could argue it is not being displayed for a multitude of reasons, it was a long series with many episodes. It is older, and people are much more sensitive tot the silliest of things. Thus it would be the same, if people used that argument as to why it was not being displayed.

I guess the burden would be on showing why you believe a book, or piece of media, is not being displayed, then to justify why it should be displayed over the book, or media, they are currently displaying?

That is a windmill I will avoid.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2024, 08:54 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote:  could argue it is not being displayed for a multitude of reasons, it was a long series with many episodes. It is older, and people are much more sensitive tot the silliest of things. Thus it would be the same, if people used that argument as to why it was not being displayed.

I guess the burden would be on showing why you believe a book, or piece of media, is not being displayed, then to justify why it should be displayed over the book, or media, they are currently displaying?

That is a windmill I will avoid.

Of course you have the option of asking your local library to do a display of Lexx and other obscure shows and see what they say

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2024, 12:27 PM)pally Wrote: Of course you have the option of asking your local library to do a display of Lexx and other obscure shows and see what they say

What if I suspect they are already not displaying it because in season 4, episode 11, they have a robot with a female appearance kissing a sentient plant with a female appearance? Censorship is already going on, but people complain when the public tries to change the censors to one that do not align with their beliefs.

Regardless, the library should be a safe space for kids of all ages without people pushing agendas, right or left, on the kids.

Every book is available on OhioLink, so the claims of children being denied books or books being banned is groundless nonsense. Not that you are taking that stand, but others are.

Kids can learn about books they are curious about from friends, the internets, social media, and all over the place. Library displays are a very small part of how they learn about titles. Maybe the best answer to to have no displays, so there is no question of favoritism, poor taste, or partisan agendas? It has become that for many users already, with door-side pick up and drop off for books and numerous audio book options.
Reply/Quote