Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: Atlanta
can i just say Ross looked a lot more focused today, i know i'm only supposed to say bad things about him on the board, but if we can see a steady improvement over the course of this year i'll be happy. Yesterday he made a couple of really nice plays, and after last week's performance he definitely showed some grit.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:42 AM)fozzie11 Wrote: can i just say Ross looked a lot more focused today, i know i'm only supposed to say bad things about him on the board, but if we can see a steady improvement over the course of this year i'll be happy. Yesterday he made a couple of really nice plays, and after last week's performance he definitely showed some grit.

Agree, Ross had two or three catches and a TD. And he was a little gimpy and appeared to be gutting it out. 

Good for him !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:17 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They are trying really, really hard to make football unwatchable. 

There was a roughing call yesterday on Mayfield where it's obvious the defender pulls up but his momentum carries him into the QB and he sorta chest bumps him. Didn't even knock him down it was a fairly minor contact ! Perhaps he slightly touched helmet to helmet but for the love of gawd common sense has to prevail. He wasn't trying to knock Mayfield down.

And they threw the flag for roughing. Refs are way to trigger happy on calling roughing !!!!!
Reply/Quote
I'll give the goal line stand we made some credit. Maybe key part of the game. Tyler got hurt, followed by an Andy sack, followed by a blocked punt.

1st & Goal at CIN 8
(13:08 - 3rd) (Shotgun) PENALTY on ATL-B.Fusco, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CIN 8 - No Play.
1st & Goal at CIN 13
(13:02 - 3rd) T.Coleman left end ran ob at CIN 4 for 9 yards (C.Dunlap).
2nd & Goal at CIN 4
(12:42 - 3rd) T.Coleman right guard to CIN 6 for -2 yards (G.Atkins).
3rd & Goal at CIN 6
(12:03 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Ryan sacked at CIN 10 for -4 yards (C.Dunlap).
4th & Goal at CIN 10
(11:22 - 3rd) M.Bryant 28 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Harris, Holder-M.Bosher.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 09:12 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: It was bogus. His right hand went across the face area, but he did not yank or even hit him hard. He didn't even land on him. 

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1046481657023336448
I'll play devil's advocate...

My ONLY argument (and it's a weak one) is that Ryan was already being tackled, and Lawson "piled on" with an unnecessary hit as he was going down.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Good:  

Where do I begin?

The offensive line:  They kept Dalton clean and opened some nice holes for Gio and Walton.  If this group keeps improving as they play together longer, the sky is the limit for the offense.

Andy Dalton:  Dude should have been wearing a mask and surgical gown.  Sliced and diced up Atlanta on their home field, in a game they (Atlanta) really had to win.

Tyler Boyd:  The new TJ.  Not faint praise.  Clutch guy, and a gamer.  

AJ Green:  I knew we would get his best in Atlanta.  Only fitting he gets the game winner.

Gio:  Joe who?  I say sarcastically....Gio was a beast out there....Rushing, receiving, blitz pick-up....Awesome job, Gio

The Bad:

Basically the entire defense.  It was like they were playing with blindfolds.  Tentative, no pass rush to speak of, and out of position.  The only good thing I can say is that the Bengals are winning and they look awful....I would think they can only get better.

The Ugly:

Special teams:  Horrible kickoff coverage, and an uncontested punt blocked that could have lost the game.  Puke, double puke.  I mean, you only had one damn punt and you sucked at it.

I told my friend, "there's our new Housh".   He said we've been missing that.  Couldn't agree more.

(10-01-2018, 10:17 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They are trying really, really hard to make football unwatchable. 

I almost got up and left after that.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The best of the good? This team continues to excel through adversity.....no more implosions, and this time we won to boot.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 08:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That wasn't bogus, Lawson grabbed him up high on the head and shoulders....

Do not agree. 

Although he did hit him as you say it looked to me like he was squaring him up in the chest but somebody hit him first from front and he was starting to fall and changed where the hit was aimed. 

You can not aim for his legs, can not aim for head, and believe he had launched at legal hit until he started to fall. 

But he hit him there and we all know they are calling that, so it is what it is. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 11:18 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I'll give the goal line stand we made some credit.  Maybe key part of the game.  Tyler got hurt, followed by an Andy sack, followed by a blocked punt.  

1st & Goal at CIN 8
(13:08 - 3rd) (Shotgun) PENALTY on ATL-B.Fusco, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CIN 8 - No Play.
1st & Goal at CIN 13
(13:02 - 3rd) T.Coleman left end ran ob at CIN 4 for 9 yards (C.Dunlap).
2nd & Goal at CIN 4
(12:42 - 3rd) T.Coleman right guard to CIN 6 for -2 yards (G.Atkins).
3rd & Goal at CIN 6
(12:03 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Ryan sacked at CIN 10 for -4 yards (C.Dunlap).
4th & Goal at CIN 10
(11:22 - 3rd) M.Bryant 28 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Harris, Holder-M.Bosher.

Yeah, that series was pivotal. The blocked punt could have sealed a loss for us, but the D came up YUGE there. Gave us a chance to come back for the win.

I also wanted to say that despite his ineffectiveness in the preseason, Mark Walton has looked pretty good out there. Kid runs real hard. That spin move he made was awesome. We have some quality backs. Best depth we've had in a while.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
The defense has got to be fixed for success down the road.

The number of times on third and long nobody was covering Julio Jones was disturbing.

Either WJIII has taken 5 steps backwards or Austin's schemes need tweaked.

Marvin is great defensive coach so hopefully he corrects this somehow.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 08:54 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The defense improved in the second half. Don't lose hope. The GENERAL is back next week. He makes the whole D better just by being on the field. Who Dey

I love Burfict, but I honestly don't think just having him back is suddenly going to catapult this defense to top 10 in the league. Just to many things wrong right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:06 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I love Burfict, but I honestly don't think just having him back is suddenly going to catapult this defense to top 10 in the league. Just to many things wrong right now.

Where I think it helps the most is him calling the defense and alignments.  Communication should improve.  Brown is a newcomer, and the rest of the LBs are young.  Hopefully we don't see so many lapses in communication.  His play will help a lot, but his "quarterbacking" of the defense can't be overlooked, IMO.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:19 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is rare to win a road game when 2 of the 3 units have a bad day. Our defense and special teams were bad. TY AD and Lazor and the entire offense for picking up the win.

This is what amazes me! This team is full of talented players, but are out of sync at the moment. Can't wait till they get it together! They'd be killing teams if they had D!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: Where I think it helps the most is him calling the defense and alignments.  Communication should improve.  Brown is a newcomer, and the rest of the LBs are young.  Hopefully we don't see so many lapses in communication.  His play will help a lot, but his "quarterbacking" of the defense can't be overlooked, IMO.

Believe me when I say, "I hope you right!"  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: This is what amazes me! This team is full of talented players, but are out of sync at the moment. Can't wait till they get it together! They'd be killing teams if they had D!

totally agree, if this D could figure it out we'd be in the discussion of best team, we've scored 30+ points in 3 of 4 games

the only real positive with the defense is they have come up huge in huge moments in all our wins.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton, Boyd and AJ made the plays and won the game despite a below average performance by our O line.

I did not think there was any chance Bengals would pull this out.

One of the best Bengal wins I can recall.  Andy and Boyd beating the Ravens last year was another but that game was meaningless to Bengals ( though it knocked Ravens out of playoffs)

This one yesterday was better.

I cannot believe they are 3-1 and have played 3 road games.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 11:52 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The defense has got to be fixed for success down the road.

The number of times on third and long nobody was covering Julio Jones was disturbing.

Either WJIII has taken 5 steps backwards or Austin's schemes need tweaked.

Marvin is great defensive coach so hopefully he corrects this somehow.

I Know I ragged on the D-line this week but we are four weeks into the season and we are 3-1. If the defense improves the sky's the limit. Think the glass is half full not half empty. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 11:50 AM)Shady Wrote: Yeah, that series was pivotal. The blocked punt could have sealed a loss for us, but the D came up YUGE there. Gave us a chance to come back for the win.

I also wanted to say that despite his ineffectiveness in the preseason, Mark Walton has looked pretty good out there. Kid runs real hard. That spin move he made was awesome. We have some quality backs. Best depth we've had in a while.

I will 2nd that. Kid played his part yesterday and looked good!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: This is what amazes me! This team is full of talented players, but are out of sync at the moment. Can't wait till they get it together! They'd be killing teams if they had D!

Right, with even an average D the rest of the way thru we're gonna win several ball games.

(10-01-2018, 12:14 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: totally agree, if this D could figure it out we'd be in the discussion of best team, we've scored 30+ points in 3 of 4 games

the only real positive with the defense is they have come up huge in huge moments in all our wins.

Yep

(10-01-2018, 12:16 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Andy Dalton, Boyd and AJ made the plays and won the game despite a below average performance by our O line.

I did not think there was any chance Bengals would pull this out.

One of the best Bengal wins I can recall.  Andy and Boyd beating the Ravens last year was another but that game was meaningless to Bengals ( though it knocked Ravens out of playoffs)

This one yesterday was better.

I cannot believe they are 3-1 and have played 3 road games.

Right 3-1 with three road games to start is a damn good record by any measure. Now on to the next four

Defense get it together
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You missed the obvious one for the ugly...

Also, the Oline didn’t keep Dalton entirely clean. Both tackles struggled at times, and
McKinley had 3 sacks.

Redmond also takes a penalty every single game.

O-line was up and down. Pretty ugly for parts of the 2nd half, but overall not too shabby. Certainly miles ahead of what we've seen the last couple years.

(10-01-2018, 08:32 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My ugly would be the entire defense:

We're 29th in total defense - TWENTY-NINTH 419 yards per game

We're the worst defense in the NFL in giving up 3rd downs at a rate of 57% - LAST PLACE We've got to quit playing 8 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 6

We're 28th in pass defense giving up 303 yards per game

Before the season, W. Jackson is the next shut down corner, 1st round draft picks Dre and Dennard. Ball hawking S Bates. Awesome D line. And it wasn't just us saying it.

We're 23rd in points allowed giving up 28+ a game.

It's official now our defense is broken.

I said in the gameday thread that we look like the 2005 Bengals. SB quality offense, but the defense isn't reliable.

Tbh, this defense is making the 2005 unit look like the 85 Bears. With the personnel we have, that's inexcusable.

(10-01-2018, 10:42 AM)fozzie11 Wrote: can i just say Ross looked a lot more focused today, i know i'm only supposed to say bad things about him on the board, but if we can see a steady improvement over the course of this year i'll be happy. Yesterday he made a couple of really nice plays, and after last week's performance he definitely showed some grit.

I was encouraged by what I saw out of Ross. 2 catches, but both were great. He just has to keep building himself up.

The talent is obvious.

(10-01-2018, 11:29 AM)Wyche Wrote: I told my friend, "there's our new Housh".   He said we've been missing that.  Couldn't agree more.

I've been saving my Housh comparison. I'll go ahead and use it now. Boyd looks like the real deal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote