Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Hobspin Translator
We're at a very boring part of the offseason, and tbh we're at a pretty low point for all of us as fans, as far as hope for the team. So I figured it'd be fun to play a game. Say something negative about the team, and I will put it through "the Hobspin translator" and spin it into something positive. If anyone else wants to jump in and put a positive spin on something, feel free.

This thread could easily be a disaster, but at this point I'm tapped out of ideas and talking points. Many of the issues with the team have been the same for 5, 10 or even 20+ years. So pretend I'm Geoff Hobson and have at it. ThumbsUp

[Image: hobson-choice-300x100.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We're at a very boring part of the offseason, and tbh we're at a pretty low point for all of us as fans, as far as hope for the team. So I figured it'd be fun to play a game. Say something negative about the team, and I will put it through "the Hobspin translator" and spin it into something positive. If anyone else wants to jump in and put a positive spin on something, feel free.

This thread could easily be a disaster, but at this point I'm tapped out of ideas and talking points. Many of the issues with the team have been the same for 5, 10 or even 20+ years. So pretend I'm Geoff Hobson and have at it. ThumbsUp

Hobson, please spin why attendance is down.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Attendance will be further down this season. Just cancelled half of my tickets today.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We're at a very boring part of the offseason, and tbh we're at a pretty low point for all of us as fans, as far as hope for the team. So I figured it'd be fun to play a game. Say something negative about the team, and I will put it through "the Hobspin translator" and spin it into something positive. If anyone else wants to jump in and put a positive spin on something, feel free.

Hobson, Some see the Bobby Hart signing as the Bengals "dumpster diving" outside the Stadium of a team that has an even worse O-line than ours (The Giants). You saw this as a sign that the Bengals are beginning to address the O-line.

Can you Re-spin this issue again for those that Fear it indicates the Bengals will not Draft O-linemen early in the upcoming Draft and will instead rely on cast offs from lesser O-lines than ours instead of bringing in early Drafted talent to maybe one day become an Elite O-line ?

Follow up, if Cedric, Bodine and Hart were all in a "dumpster" due to say accidental release by the Front Office and you could only have time to "dive" for one of them while trying to elbow Paul Alexander out of the way with post up moves by the dumpster, which one of those 3 would you pull out ?
Reply/Quote
Spin Bodine

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hobson, please spin why attendance is down.

Expectations were high after the Bengals incredible run of 5 straight playoff berths. The Bengals did not meet those expectations due to injuries, free agent losses and coaching changes...but with the team's incredible track record in the draft (top 10 in drafted players still with the team), a bounce-back should be expected and fans will return. This great drafting has led to young up-and-comers like Carl Lawson (8.5 sacks), William Jackson and Joe Mixon. All of whom should be cornerstones for future playoff squads.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Why do we not embrace change within the organization? Football, the business end of it, seems to evolve more and more every year and yet we still do things the old way?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:25 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Attendance will be further down this season. Just cancelled half of my tickets today.

I'm sorry to hear that, Go Cards. With Frank Pollack leading the charge for a much more physical and aggressive style of blocking, I feel you will come to regret your decision. WHO-DEY.  :andy:

(02-16-2018, 02:26 PM)depthchart Wrote: Hobson, Some see the Bobby Hart signing as the Bengals "dumpster diving" outside the Stadium of a team that has an even worse O-line than ours (The Giants). You saw this as a sign that the Bengals are beginning to address the O-line.

Can you Re-spin this issue again for those that Fear it indicates the Bengals will not Draft O-linemen early in the upcoming Draft and will instead rely on cast offs from lesser O-lines than ours instead of bringing in early Drafted talent to maybe one day become an Elite O-line ?

Follow up, if Cedric, Bodine and Hart were all in a "dumpster" due to say accidental release by the Front Office and you could only have time to "dive" for one of them while trying to elbow Paul Alexander out of the way with post up moves by the dumpster, which one of those 3 would you pull out ?

Hi depthchart and thanks for the question. I'm not sure if "dumpster diving" is the proper descriptor for a guy with 21 career starts, including 13 starts for a Giants team that went 11-5. Bobby Hart was a big part of a line that kept Eli Manning upright all season (only 21 sacks allowed). Even if you do consider it dumpster diving, you know what they say about one man's trash...

As for your follow up, luckily Ogbuehi and Hart are under contract for the coming season. Bodine is a free agent though, and if the Bengals want to retain him, they'll have to avoid the big splashy names and save money to retain him. After all, building from within is what led to 5 straight playoff berths and AFCN dominance unseen before in franchise history. I'm not sure if "all 3" is the answer you're looking for, but it's clear that all 3 are important to the Bengals plans.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm sorry to hear that, Go Cards. With Frank Pollack leading the charge for a much more physical and aggressive style of blocking, I feel you will come to regret your decision. WHO-DEY.  :andy:

Hi depthchart and thanks for the question. I'm not sure if "dumpster diving" is the proper descriptor for a guy with 21 career starts, including 13 starts for a Giants team that went 11-5. Bobby Hart was a big part of a line that kept Eli Manning upright all season (only 21 sacks allowed). Even if you do consider it dumpster diving, you know what they say about one man's trash...

As for your follow up, luckily Ogbuehi and Hart are under contract for the coming season. Bodine is a free agent though, and if the Bengals want to retain him, they'll have to avoid the big splashy names and save money to retain him. After all, building from within is what led to 5 straight playoff berths and AFCN dominance unseen before in franchise history. I'm not sure if "all 3" is the answer you're looking for, but it's clear that all 3 are important to the Bengals plans.

You forgot the dumpster. At least the defense would have to go around, not through, it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
How you explain Marvin being signed to a 2 year extension? Can anybody confidently say Marvin would have the balls to go for it 4th and 5 on our own 45 down 10 points early in the 4th quarter. We need a coach where we would automatically go for it. Every thing on down deteriorates from there. Only way we win a super bowl is we have the talent that 90's Cowboy team had with Barry Switzer
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Spin Bodine

Bodine is the first player the Bengals have traded up for since Ki-Jana Carter. He rewarded that by starting every game for 4 years. Bodine paved the way for the NFL's 6th ranked rushing attack (2014), a 7th ranked scoring offense (2015), and a pair of playoff berths. In a time of transition (from Whit and Z), he's been a steady rock for Andy Dalton. 

(02-16-2018, 02:40 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Why do we not embrace change within the organization? Football, the business end of it, seems to evolve more and more every year and yet we still do things the old way?

Thanks for the question, sandwedge. I'm not sure what you mean by "old way". If this old way cranks out 5 straight playoff berths, maybe other franchises should be modeling themselves after what I like to call "the Bengal way". After all, not many teams can boast similar success over that time frame. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:49 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: How you explain Marvin being signed to a 2 year extension? Can anybody confidently say Marvin would have the balls to go for it 4th  and 5 on our own 45 down 10 points early in the 4th quarter. We need a coach where we would automatically go for it. Every thing on down deteriorates from there. Only way we win a super bowl is we have the talent that 90's Cowboy team had with Barry Switzer

While I'm sure many fans are disappointed with last season, we seem quick to forget Marvin's resume. This includes 7 playoff berths, 4 division titles, and many signature wins. Would Marvin go for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter? Ask Bills fans.  WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
Was letting Whit go about money, age or contract length?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Spin Bodine

HOBSON, I GOT THIS ONE!
[Image: YhaQBIH.gif]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 03:06 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Was letting Whit go about money, age or contract length?

All of the above. Plus the Bengals had no room under the cap to properly replace him. Not after the rookie pool, injury buffer and allotment for future contract extensions.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 03:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: HOBSON, I GOT THIS ONE!
If only that damn awful Dalton would step up into the pocket instead of bailing,,,,,
I have one more question for you Hobspin, are you and Shake-n-Blake one in the same? Answers are scary the same..
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 03:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: HOBSON, I GOT THIS ONE!

The footwork! The grit! This is the promise I spoke of. A fine piece of clay for Frank Pollack to mold. Now the Bengals front office just needs to avoid external free agents like death, and cross their fingers that Bodine wants to be a part of what this organization is building. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 03:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The footwork! The grit! This is the promise I spoke of. A fine piece of clay for Frank Pollack to mold. Now the Bengals front office just needs to avoid external free agents like death, and cross their fingers that Bodine wants to be a part of what this organization is building. 

I can't get over how Bodine pops up at the end of the clip like a bumbling idiot Hilarious
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The team hasn't won a playoff game in nearly 3 decades and has had the same head coach for 15 years. It's time for some f'n changes!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 03:16 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If only that damn awful Dalton would step up into the pocket instead of bailing,,,,,
I have one more question for you Hobspin, are you and Shake-n-Blake one in the same? Answers are seemly the same..

Ha. Don't be ridiculous. Jeff Blake just let me use his profile to "tackle" some of the silly questions that idiots fans often have. 

I leaped at the opportunity to silence legit criticism uh... drum up interest for season tickets quell concerns.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote