Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Injury Pile Continues to Grow!
(08-16-2016, 09:23 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: The injury bug has gone radioactive.  I figured it deserves its own thread.

Ced Og- Injured toe; may not be ready for Game 1

Cody Core- Dislocated finger; probably plays Preseason Game 2

Alford- sprained ankle in a walking boot; No set return out maybe a few weeks

Burkhead- missed Preson Game 1; not sure why

Jeremy Hill- pulled out of PG1 due to hand injury; not sure if he plays PG2

Lafell- didn't play PG1 but not sure injury has been revealed

Billings- torn meniscus ; maybe out for season

WJ3- torn pec; maybe out for season

Old injuries guys are still recovering from:

Eifert, Kroft, Dennard, Kumerow

Okay, let me make a list of guys who aren't i jured for you.

Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Andy Dalton, A.J. Green, Adam Jones, Gio Bernard, George Iloka, Kevin Zeitler.

The only important pieces I'd say we're missing right now will be Eifert and Burfict. I think Hill is fine and most of the other injuries just aren't that significant right now.

So I'd say right now we have 9 of our top 12 players available right now (if you include Hill, that's 10), which is saying a lot considering how good our top 12 are versus the top 12 players of most other teams.

So if you look at it that way, I'd say we're actually quite healthy.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 03:37 PM)John Shaft Wrote: What has Alford done to "earn" a spot ?

I'd say because he is healthy, but that isn't true haha
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 02:27 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Assuming he is 100% and stays healthy, I like this guy in the mix.

I like his story, about how he didn't complain about losing his WR spot and made a difference his senior season on special teams, and the talent that knocked him off is pretty damn good (Jarvis Landry and OBJ), but Wright caught essentially no passes his senior year at college and caught very few balls last year.  At least Erickson has a ton of game experience.  Alford didn't get a lot of game action last year, but his speed is mercurial.  

I like Wright as well, but I like winning more....He simply doesn't offer much when compared to these two.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 03:37 PM)John Shaft Wrote: What has Alford done to "earn" a spot ?

I just hate hearing about injuries,as this team has had a ton of them over the last 5 years,and to me that has to be addressed.Somehow,someway,someone is missing the correct training that could at least slow this shit down.However,I do feel like there are some quality O-lineman sittin out there that Marvins boys know about and I am guessing they are already on the horn getting ready to bring them in and to me these guys should be fresh as they have not been through a grueling training camp,if they have been working out and running and staying in shape,Marvin still has two more pre-season games to see whos who.I do trust our coaches and scouts to find a winner for the O-line and whatever else we need.

I could see James Wright taking Lafells place.Hes hungry and Marv likes the dude.IF he can stay healthy,the guy is a player.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 01:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And will likely need surgery. 

Time to step up, Cody Core!

Bengals WRs week 1:

AJ Green
Tyler Boyd
Cody Core
Alex Erickson
Mario Alford

and somehow....Brandon Tate.  

I have my moments where I hate Brandon Tate, but the hate on these boards for him is UNREAL
Look, is he going to be a #1 receiver? Hell no. But to put Cody Core, Alex Erickson, Mario Alford, and hell, even Tyler Boyd ahead of him is just completely ridiculous.

He is a veteran with experience and is a good player on our roster, definitely in the top half of our roster. If he went to any team in the NFL, he would be on the 53 man roster.

I have even seen post on here "How can we keep Alex Erickson and Brandon Tate?! One of them will have to get cut!!! I bet it is Brandon Tate."

Come on guys, reality. Brandon Tate has always been on lock on our roster.
Reply/Quote
Just read on the NFL network ticker: "Billings out for season for torn meniscus surgery"
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 09:39 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: Just read on the NFL network ticker:  "Billings out for season for torn meniscus surgery"

Yeah, saw something about that a bit ago. The Bengals were "optimistic" that it was "just" a meniscus problem... and it turns out that his season is over.

This is why nobody can trust the Bengals on medical issues. The last two meniscus surgeries they've had, both ended their seasons. Burfict was out for over 12 months, and now Billings is already out for the season and the preseason has barely started. Eifert's "bone bruise" turned out to keep him out for 8+ months, Dalton's hand hopefully being ready for the postseason, etc.

I generally go by the rule that whatever Marvin/Hobspin say, just know they're downplaying it and it's worse.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Shocked 
(08-16-2016, 10:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, saw something about that a bit ago. The Bengals were "optimistic" that it was "just" a meniscus problem... and it turns out that his season is over.

This is why nobody can trust the Bengals on medical issues. The last two meniscus surgeries they've had, both ended their seasons. Burfict was out for over 12 months, and now Billings is already out for the season and the preseason has barely started. Eifert's "bone bruise" turned out to keep him out for 8+ months, Dalton's hand hopefully being ready for the postseason, etc.

I generally go by the rule that whatever Marvin/Hobspin say, just know they're downplaying it and it's worse.

Part of this could be about roster spots, though.  DT is pretty stacked with Atkins, Peko, Hardison, Sims, and William, not to mention Thompson on the PUP.  I have high hopes for Billings, but I doubt he would have played a ton of snaps this year, anyways.
Reply/Quote
What the Real Deal said. Most of those injuries are minor and/or injuries to players who were minor role players. No reason to go chicken little yet. Especially after 2013 and 2014, when this team proved it could win without Atkins, Burfict, Green, MLJ, Eifert, Andre, Maualuga, Leon, Michael Johnson, etc etc.

Heck, we even won a couple games without Dalton last year.

This team is bigger than just a small handful of players. I remain extremely confident that they'll win 10+ regular season games. The only question - as always - is the playoffs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Billings injury has lasting effect as it almost is certain Peko will get an extension now (maybe he would have anyway). Without the FO knowing what they have in Billings we're no closer to finding his replacement. Same with WJIII, and Dre, especially if Dennard can't stay healthy. They didn't need those rookies, but it was important for them to show something (in practice etc) with the contracts coming up to key players (vets) at those positions.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 10:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: Billings injury has lasting effect as it almost is certain Peko will get an extension now (maybe he would have anyway). Without the FO knowing what they have in Billings we're no closer to finding his replacement. Same with WJIII, and Dre, especially if Dennard can't stay healthy. They didn't need those rookies, but it was important for them to show something (in practice etc) with the contracts coming up to key players (vets) at those positions.

Just because you're out for the season doesn't mean the coaches can't decide Billings is the future and work with him in the tape room. Learn this team. Learn our divisional opponents. He'll be ahead of where some rookie would be next year. 

Reply/Quote
He'll still be unproven, and Marvin likes his players with experience. I don't see them not re-signing Peko without knowing what they have in Billings on the field, and unless someone else steps at up at NT, they should re-sign Peko.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 11:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: He'll still be unproven, and Marvin likes his players with experience. I don't see them not re-signing Peko without knowing what they have in Billings on the field, and unless someone else steps at up at NT, they should re-sign Peko.

Peko was going to be resigned, regardless.  Sims and Thompson are both on one year deals, and they weren't going to go into the draft next year with Billings as the lone NT on the roster whether he played much or not.  If anything, it could be a blessing in disguise.  If a good NT value exists in the draft, the Bengals will be more likely to pull the trigger.

Kirk will be worked like most other pending FA's.  The FO will set their price they are willing to pay, and if Dre can get more on the open market, good for him.  
Reply/Quote