Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
Aside from the Sewell/Chase debate.

More bad press on a top pick.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/09/should-the-jamarr-chase-expectations-be-tempered/

Quote:“He has endured a string of drops, on short and long passes, with another coming Sunday,” Dehner writes. “He has not shown as much separation as you’d hope, and the contested balls haven’t gone his way much, either. This is absolutely not to say he won’t start picking that up with more reps over the next month.”

This after Hobsin mentioned the struggles.

Will we have another Burrow/Herbert situation on our hands this season with Chase/Waddle (who has had a great camp)? Even if wideout was the right pick, is the bad press coming from all camps even the home page an alarming sign?

It's still early to panic, but admittedly this has been a rough start for our top 2 picks, and the reviews haven't been what we all would have hoped.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Dude hasn't played in a game in over a year and Burrow is coming back from a shredded knee. I'm tempering my expectations, that's for damn sure.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Expectation should be tempered, but the bad press continuing to come on our top picks isn't ideal.

Will we regret it? Idk, can we see him play in a single game first before we make that determination? I guarantee if he was balling out right now all of you doom and gloomers would be downplaying it because it’s just TC.

(08-09-2021, 05:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: Aside from the Sewell/Chase debate.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/09/should-the-jamarr-chase-expectations-be-tempered/

Will we have another Burrow/Herbert situation on our hands this season with Chase/Waddle (who has had a great camp)? Even if wideout was the right pick, is the bad press coming from all camps even the home page an alarming sign?

It's still early to panic, but admittedly this has been a rough start for our top 2 picks, and the reviews haven't been what we all would have hoped.

This thread = [Image: tenor.gif]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
You mean like we've been saying about our D? Oh, wait we've been excited to see their good press.

Who has been balling out that we slammed?

Way too early to know if we'll regret it but as someone who was on the ledge with Burrow struggling in camp I am a little concerned with Chase. When I think a #5 WR I think AJ and ready to come in and dominate right away. We'll have to wait until actual games are played to see if that's the case but right now from the reports it seems like maybe the speed of everything is messing with him and it may take him some time to adjust to the nfl speed. I think he'll be fine even if it does take him a chunk of time to get going.

Now maybe we regret the pick because we could've traded back some in the 1st instead of taking Chase and taken Vera Tucker. A guy that actually plays guard instead of hoping Carman works out there but thats probably really going down the rabbit hole.

Also on side note of the Herbert vs Burrow question. I've been reading that Herbert is having a very good camp. The Chargers also have a very good WR group as well. I was also reading that he was having some good chemistry with Jared Cook. Possibly a TE sleeper for fantasy football.
No we won't dudes going to be great.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Not worried still.
Gosh it's getting old, lotsa new faces and moving parts to get sorted yet.
Tee Higgins wasn’t even a starter week one last year, and look how good he ended up being as the season went on.

At least for a first round pick he isn't.........

I won't say it. Knock on wood. That alone is a positive and probably more then we've gotten from a first round pick news wise this late in camp in awhile.

Edit: Outside of Burrow

(08-09-2021, 05:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tee Higgins wasn’t even a starter week one last year, and look how good he ended up being as the season went on.

I get your point (kinda, I can't remember what was being said about Tee this time last year. I think Burrow took all the press) but Tee wasn't a top 5 pick, and the truth remains our top picks are getting some bad press. For good reason or not it hasn't been ideal.

Can we let the guy play some real games before we speculate?
(08-09-2021, 06:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Can we let the guy play some real games before we speculate?

None of these reports are coming from anyone around here. Just quotes from the press.

I'm not shocked as far as separation goes, that was never his strong suit. I do think his speed numbers were overdone since he basically trained for his pro day for a year.

As always, I'll reserve judgement until the end of year 2, but I was never in the camp that drafting a WR in the top 5 was a good move.
I regret the team passing on Trey Smith at this point.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

I feel confident about Chase. The news certainly isn’t ideal, but I want to see him play first before I really start forming any opinions. I will say, it really does stink that we haven’t had a ton of exciting news about Chase and Carman. I was hoping they’d both be camp warriors and popping eyes early. That hasn’t happened, and that’s okay. We just need to see the production on the field.

Now, if we get into the season and Carman is a 3rd stringer and Chase is struggling, I’m going to be very concerned. That ‘sting’ will be elevated if Sewell is playing really well. So far, word on Sewell is overall positive.

Basically, wait and see. There is a chance that we regret the pick, just like any other draft selection. The selection has been made, and now we have to see how it pans out.
(08-09-2021, 05:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: Aside from the Sewell/Chase debate.

I doubt we'll regret the Chase pick. He'll become a very good WR for the team.

We might, however, regret the OL choices made during the off season.

I don't believe it was a choice of Sewell or a sucky OL. There were many OL choices for the Bengals to choose from and they choose how they choose.

Time will tell. Personally wasn't a fan of the pick because of how good last year's starters were, but will hope for the best.

To be fair some of the others I preferred, who were available, (except for "trade down") have struggled:

Sewell

Darrisaw

My #1 (Pitts) has shined, but he was gone.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-09-2021, 06:15 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I regret the team passing on Trey Smith at this point.

Anyone who frequented the draft forum knows how big of a fan I am of Trey. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]