Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Joe Mixon Narrative
I've heard this for the last month, that no team is going to want their day 1 of the draft dominated by the headline that Joe Mixon was their first and only pick of the evening. Now, that doesn't apply to the few teams with multiple picks, but the narrative has been rampant. With that said, if you're buying it, I'd venture to say that Joe Mixon will be the first pick of the second round and will be a Cleveland Brown or a Cincinnati Bengal (via A.J. McCarron to Cleveland). I'm probably way off, but an interesting game of chess by these NFL teams on this situation.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't want him. Dude broke a woman's face
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 01:39 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: I wouldn't want him.  Dude broke a woman's face

I think the layers of intricacy in that conflict blur the lines between right and wrong to an extent that is not really as simple as this statement.
Reply/Quote
The big IF post....

IF Fournette is gone by #9 and he will be.
IF the Bengals have Mixon high on their board.
IF the Bengals think Mixon will be gone at #41 and he very well could be.
If the Bengals don't do any draft trading between now and or during the draft.

Do you think it is possible that the Bengals reach for Mixon at #9?
I hope they don't but it wouldn't surprise me. This is a deep draft at running back and I would hope
the Bengals would wait for a back in the later rounds. I like the guy from Tennessee and the two backs from North Carolina.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 05:43 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: The big IF post....

IF Fournette is gone by #9 and he will be.
IF the Bengals have Mixon high on their board.
IF the Bengals think Mixon will be gone at #41 and he very well could be.
If the Bengals don't do any draft trading between now and or during the draft.

Do you think it is possible that the Bengals reach for Mixon at #9?
I hope they don't but it wouldn't surprise me. This is a deep draft at running back and I would hope
the Bengals would wait for a back in the later rounds. I like the guy from Tennessee and the two backs from North Carolina.

Ugh......sadly that wouldn't surprise me either. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 05:51 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ugh......sadly that wouldn't surprise me either. 

I personally would be completely taken back if they reach for mixon @ 9. I do believe he's a top 15 talent, due to negative press I believe that the Carolina Panthers are between us and him at 41. He definitely won't be BPA @ 9; and if he is gone @ 41, there are a host of other names that can fit into a rotation in 3rd and 4th.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 03:24 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think the layers of intricacy in that conflict blur the lines between right and wrong to an extent that is not really as simple as this statement.

hasn't the dad of the girl come out and said it wasn't mixon
Reply/Quote
Well sh&t, I am not really in favor of drafting him, but he has nice tape. He's fast. Not as elusive as Cook but the kid has similar hands, and could be a weapon on offense many ways.
Reply/Quote
I don't want him. He might be the best player available, but I'll let someone else take that risk.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 06:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: hasn't the dad of the girl come out and said it wasn't mixon

That was from a different incident, back in HS.  Father claimed to have falsely accused Mixon, and recently made statement to that effect to Mixon's attorneys.

Man in the punch video is most definitely Joe Mixon.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 03:24 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think the layers of intricacy in that conflict blur the lines between right and wrong to an extent that is not really as simple as this statement.

But it is really really that simple
Reply/Quote
Oh good, we havent talked about this at all yet.
Reply/Quote
He's not that big and not that fast, what makes people think that he's going to be all that great in the NFL?  I could see if he were to slide pretty far, but I don't really get too excited about him.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 10:24 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I've heard this for the last month, that no team is going to want their day 1 of the draft dominated by the headline that Joe Mixon was their first and only pick of the evening. Now, that doesn't apply to the few teams with multiple picks, but the narrative has been rampant. With that said, if you're buying it, I'd venture to say that Joe Mixon will be the first pick of the second round and will be a Cleveland Brown or a Cincinnati Bengal (via A.J. McCarron to Cleveland). I'm probably way off, but an interesting game of chess by these NFL teams on this situation.

I think you are 100% correct. I have a Browns friend who keeps saying the same thing. If the Browns don't completely screw up their first round picks they will take Mixon. Or another team ahead of us that may have skipped on a RB in the first. So far other than the Browns I think we are the team that takes him.

A trade may happen before we pick in the 2nd. With comp picks being tradeable for the first time one would imagine Clevelands phone will be ringing off the hook overnight for that first pick on day 2. We will see if a team is not just willing to pick him but, trade up to take him.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 07:48 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: But it is really really that simple

No it isn't.  Simple answers are for simple minds.

The fact is that everyteam in the league has players who have been in trouble.   The line about who should play and who should not is blurred it is close to invisible.  If every player who ever got into any trouble in college was not allowed to play in the NFL then probably a quarter to a third of the platers would be gone. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 09:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No it isn't.  Simple answers are for simple minds.

The fact is that everyteam in the league has players who have been in trouble.   The line about who should play and who should not is blurred it is close to invisible.  If every player who ever got into any trouble in college was not allowed to play in the NFL then probably a quarter to a third of the platers would be gone. 

Yes it is, we're not talking about other players we are talking about Mixon. We aren't talking about any blurry lines, we are talking about someone who clearly committed violence against a woman. You either condone that or you don't. If you're making excuses and trying to fudge reality than you obviously condone what he did. If you think what he did was ok, then at least have the guts to admit it. Do not hide behind lines that you blurred to rationalize your desire to have him on this team
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:15 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yes it is, we're not talking about other players we are talking about Mixon. We aren't talking about any blurry lines, we are talking about someone who clearly committed violence against a woman. You either condone that or you don't. If you're making excuses and trying to fudge reality than you obviously condone what he did. If you think what he did was ok, then at least have the guts to admit it. Do not hide behind lines that you blurred to rationalize your desire to have him on this team

What Mixon did three years ago as a 20 year old was most definitely NOT OK in the least. But the fact that he paid his debt to society and has kept himself out of trouble since, well, that goes a long way too, doesn't it? Or is one really awful incident supposed to define you for the rest of your life? Are we that unforgiving?

The one thing I still want to see from Mixon is one thing he can't do until he signs, and that's pay the woman some portion of his salary going forward.
Reply/Quote
I look at it this way.

- He served his punishment, which included counseling.
- He has been out of trouble for three years.
- He issued an emotional apology.
- The lawsuit between him and Molitor has been settled. Molitor herself said it is time for people to move on from it.

He apologized, Molitor accepted his apology, and the issue has been settled amicably between them. For a second round pick, I'd be willing to roll the dice on him never doing something like this again.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:39 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I look at it this way.

- He served his punishment, which included counseling.
- He has been out of trouble for three years.
- He issued an emotional apology.
- The lawsuit between him and Molitor has been settled.  Molitor herself said it is time for people to move on from it.

He apologized, Molitor accepted his apology, and the issue has been settled amicably between them.  For a second round pick, I'd be willing to roll the dice on him never doing something like this again.

Can't agree more. He made a grave mistake, and seems to have put all the effort forth to make amends and move on. I'm sure he was under a microscope during his NFL meetings. If his character is in line and he really wants to prove himself, I think he'd be well worth the gamble at 41. 
Reply/Quote
The only opinions on Mixon sway from the video. Period. There are 100 players in the NFL who have done what he did, but there are 0 of them who the entire world saw it. That's the difference.

This has nothing to do with "condoning it or not." It's about saving face with the public and the PR. The Falcons, for example, are the latest team to publicly say Mixon is "off their board."

The Falcons have had 4 players in the last 10 years with domestic violence arrests on their roster.

Call it what is is...all about the money and reputation.
Reply/Quote