Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Uranium deal with Russia lead to undoing of Obama administration?
(07-02-2015, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Instead of "because of a video".

Yes, that smoking gun video that has led to... nothing. 
(07-02-2015, 05:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one had more crooks working under him than Reagan and FoxNews fans think he ascended into heaven instead of dying.

Well... Nixon did have a pretty sizable collection of crooks in his entourage. ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
President Bush allowed Pakistan to sell enriched Uranium to North Korea.

I got a great idea! We could hang him and Obama at the same trial. Then, we can elect Rand Paul as President, because it is obviously better to just stick your head in the sand and ignore the rest of the world! ThumbsUp
(07-07-2015, 12:56 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: President Bush allowed Pakistan to sell enriched Uranium to North Korea.

I got a great idea! We could hang him and Obama at the same trial. Then, we can elect Rand Paul as President, because it is obviously better to just stick your head in the sand and ignore the rest of the world! ThumbsUp

cause we have had so much success over the years meddling in others affairs.

When we go in and smash the country to bits then go home and leave them in rubble is when we have done well. But this lingering so hedge funds and other special interest can milk the relief funds from the nation is ridiculous.
(07-07-2015, 12:51 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Well... Nixon did have a pretty sizable collection of crooks in his entourage. ThumbsUp

The CNN series on the 70's is pretty interesting and I just saw the one covering the Watergate this past weekend.

Nixon was the worst of the worst when it comes to paranoia and shady politics.

But Reagan's administration had they most indited members IIRRC.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-07-2015, 08:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: The CNN series on the 70's is pretty interesting and I just saw the one covering the Watergate this past weekend.

Yeah Reagan's admin in the 70s was hell on wheels.  Remember back then when scandals were real and investigated by angels only looking to find the truth as opposed to today when admins don't do anything shady and partisan hacks still try to get them?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-07-2015, 09:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah Reagan's admin in the 70s was hell on wheels.  Remember back then when scandals were real and investigated by angels only looking to find the truth as opposed to today when admins don't do anything shady and partisan hacks still try to get them?

Sarcasm noted*

It would be nice to see an investigation actually uncover something nefarious.  Maybe the next Benghazi hearings will be successful! 

Nixon actually would have been fine with Watergate had he not immediately went into covering up something he probably had nothing directly to do with.

And Reagan's was pretty bad.

http://www.independentagenda.com/politics-and-2012-election/so-far-obama-has-a-pretty-clean-record/
(07-07-2015, 10:05 AM)GMDino Wrote: Sarcasm noted*

It would be nice to see an investigation actually uncover something nefarious.  Maybe the next Benghazi hearings will be successful! 

Nixon actually would have been fine with Watergate had he not immediately went into covering up something he probably had nothing directly to do with.

And Reagan's was pretty bad.

http://www.independentagenda.com/politics-and-2012-election/so-far-obama-has-a-pretty-clean-record/

Well you know when emails are   lost when computers conveniently  crash and there is no backup sometimes evidence is hard to come by.  Well there is no backup that they know of.  There actually is a backup, but darn darn, those were magnetically erased because nobody realized they were a backup.  I remember reading about one admin that accidentally erased some tape.  Apparently back then that didn't get you off the hook.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-07-2015, 10:30 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well you know when emails are   lost when computers conveniently  crash and there is no backup sometimes evidence is hard to come by.  Well there is no backup that they know of.  There actually is a backup, but darn darn, those were magnetically erased because nobody realized they were a backup.  I remember reading about one admin that accidentally erased some tape.  Apparently back then that didn't get you off the hook.

And, again, when the next hearing comes up with something it will be great.  

Maybe after the next vote to repeal Obamacare?

Smirk

All kidding aside I am all for holding people's feet to the fire....but also wary of people crying wolf over and over.
(07-07-2015, 02:08 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: cause we have had so much success over the years meddling in others affairs.  

Exactly. Rand is right. We should let other countries meddle in our affairs for awhile. ThumbsUp
(07-07-2015, 08:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: The CNN series on the 70's is pretty interesting and I just saw the one covering the Watergate this past weekend.

Nixon did a lot of shady things. But, as you also noted, he had no knowledge of the thing got him into the most trouble: the Watergate break-in. His problems came when he tried to cover up for his cronies. That, and the fact that he chose these low moral characters to begin with and was loyal to them to the end.

The psychology of Nixon is fascinating. He is almost like a Shakespearean character.
(07-07-2015, 11:19 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Nixon did a lot of shady things. But, as you also noted, he had no knowledge of the thing got him into the most trouble: the Watergate break-in. His problems came when he tried to cover up for his cronies. That, and the fact that he chose these low moral characters to begin with and was loyal to them to the end.

The psychology of Nixon is fascinating. He is almost like a Shakespearean character.

The perfect example of a good/bad politician.
(07-07-2015, 11:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: The perfect example of a good/bad politician.

The more I learn about him, the more I feel sorry for him. Not that he resigned. Heck, he, LBJ, and Kennedy all should have resigned just because of the Pentagon Papers alone. I feel sorry for him because he was trapped within himself. Trapped by his strict childhood upbringing, by his loyalties, by his generation's image of masculinity, by the image and legacy he wanted to create and by his innate and growing paranoia. They created a perfect storm. He could only see one way to react to the Watergate Break-in. Unfortunately, it was the wrong way.

If he had hung his henchmen out to dry on Watergate, he would have finished his second term and would have been regarded as a great President.
(07-08-2015, 11:37 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The more I learn about him, the more I feel sorry for him. Not that he resigned. Heck, he, LBJ, and Kennedy all should have resigned just because of the Pentagon Papers alone. I feel sorry for him because he was trapped within himself. Trapped by his strict childhood upbringing, by his loyalties, by his generation's image of masculinity, by the image and legacy he wanted to create and by his innate and growing paranoia. They created a perfect storm. He could only see one way to react to the Watergate Break-in. Unfortunately, it was the wrong way.

If he had hung his henchmen out to dry on Watergate, he would have finished his second term and would have been regarded as a great President.

Without knowing a lot about his upbringing I'd agree with the last part.  All he had to do was admit he knew nothing, thrown them under the bus and move along.  Instead he made it WAY worse.

Of course he may have been concerned they would turn on him for OTHER things he had done...but they did that anyway.

And on the Pentagon Papers I had to sadly admit I knew about that but not near enough  (I was born in 1969) but the show, and one on PBS about Vietnam as viewed through guests and interviews on the Dick Cavett show, has seriously piqued my interest.