Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Justices spar over the constitutionality of the death penalty
(06-30-2015, 03:17 PM)Benton Wrote: Sad

It just reminded me of a week or two ago when I was talking to an older lady at Kroger in the produce department. She sneezed, I said bless you and then she proceeded to tell me about how Obama was the anti-Christ and that we're punished every 8 years. She went back to the Sept. 11 attacks and worked her way up until this year to tell me I was going to die horribly next year.

I told her there was a really good price on sweet corn.

I've always looked at bless you as an invitation to pontificate.  Have I been wrong?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-30-2015, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You understand that sentance can be read two different ways.

Yes I meant it in the way to go along with his post.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-30-2015, 02:16 PM)michaelsean Wrote: 3

(06-30-2015, 02:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: 2009

(06-30-2015, 02:39 PM)Benton Wrote: Ok, I'll bite.

The only thing I can think of you could be referring to is Obama's inauguration. Which would have worked in terms of the beast from the sea except a- he's serving his seventh year, which is three more years than the verse states; and b- he didn't call on people to fight, that ball was already rolling. He just didn't stop it like people thought he would.

(06-30-2015, 02:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No it was just a random number.  I just always think it's funny if people give an answer to a question where none is expected.  Like the one above it.  But now you made me explain it, and it's no longer funny.   Tongue

(06-30-2015, 02:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The truly funny thing he must have accepted your answer of stoneing 3 Homosexuals.

Rolleyes

At least he's following the word.  Do you follow the word?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-30-2015, 01:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: This is what I can never understand. How can killing ANYONE be wrong when it comes to the death penalty, but killing babies via abortion is just fine and dandy?

I can understand the confusion towards the inverse (how people can be "pro-life" but okay with killing criminals), but that at least, has some rationale that I can understand to it, the former, I just don't get.

Can you explain how someone can be opposed to abortion based upon religious beliefs, but believe you get a pass for killing if you're a soldier?
(06-30-2015, 03:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yes I meant it in the way to go along with his post.  

You know....this could only mean one thing.... Mellow
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(06-30-2015, 03:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Can you explain how someone can be opposed to abortion based upon religious beliefs, but believe you get a pass for killing if you're a soldier?

cognitive dissonance.

(06-30-2015, 03:16 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That's not what I'm asking you.  Do you believe there should be any legal limitations on abortion?  Most people in favor of abortion believe there should be, but that's in conflict with "It's her body and her choice."  It's her body at 40 weeks the same as at 8 weeks.  I'm not trying to set something up here, I'm just curious how that is rectified.  

Of course there should be. I personally recognize the life after fetal viability, in which case I do not support the right to end that life. At some point, decency has to prevail over a steadfast commitment to a belief.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-30-2015, 03:27 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: cognitive dissonance.

Follow up question: who is responsible for miscarriages (aka spontaneous abortions)?
(06-30-2015, 03:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I've always looked at bless you as an invitation to pontificate.  Have I been wrong?

Well I always...

Is this another one of those times I'm answering a question no answer was intended for?

:blush:
(06-30-2015, 03:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Follow up question:  who is responsible for miscarriages (aka spontaneous abortions)?

god

(06-30-2015, 03:16 PM)michaelsean Wrote:  I'm not trying to set something up here, I'm just curious how that is rectified.  

The line generally represents the point at which the fetus can survive outside the womb.

Abortion is a very tricky subject.  At some point in the future we will be able to take a fertilized egg from a woman's womb and keep it alive artificially, but until then you just can't claim that a glob of cells is an individual who has rights greater than that of the mother.
(06-30-2015, 03:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I've always looked at bless you as an invitation to pontificate.  Have I been wrong?

I'm Atheist and I say bless you when someone sneezes.  I don't have any existential crisis when I do it either...It's purely manners.

How many of you Christians who "live by the word" are in favor of the death penalty for gay people?

You can't have it half way, right Bfine? if you follow the word of your god you should be in favor of killing people for being gay.
(06-30-2015, 03:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Can you explain how someone can be opposed to abortion based upon religious beliefs, but believe you get a pass for killing if you're a soldier?

If you go strictly by the NT, you can't. And that's a quagmire for a lot of spiritual leaders. So killing with premeditation creates the need to bring in the OT, which is another quagmire, because then you get the "benefit" of killing people without a need for absolution, but now you can't eat shellfish.
(06-30-2015, 03:46 PM)Benton Wrote: If you go strictly by the NT, you can't. And that's a quagmire for a lot of spiritual leaders. So killing with premeditation creates the need to bring in the OT, which is another quagmire, because then you get the "benefit" of killing people without a need for absolution, but now you can't eat shellfish.

Or the bacon wrapped around the shellfish!
(06-30-2015, 03:49 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Or the bacon wrapped around the shellfish!

This is the primary reason I am Atheist...

(06-30-2015, 03:50 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: This is the primary reason I am Atheist...

and Scott's BBQ would be off the menu, too
(06-30-2015, 03:52 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: and Scott's BBQ would be off the menu, too

I don't know who this Scott is, but if he's doing BBQ, and it's off limits, make this reason # 2.

(06-30-2015, 03:49 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Or the bacon wrapped around the shellfish!

I fry up some bacon and then cook shrimp and mushrooms in the grease. Toss on some Tony Chachere's (however you spell the spice) and serve with a little rice on the side or some fried squash.

(06-30-2015, 03:50 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: This is the primary reason I am Atheist...

Yes. That's the primary reason.

Mellow
(06-30-2015, 03:55 PM)Benton Wrote: I fry up some bacon and then cook shrimp and mushrooms in the grease. Toss on some Tony Chachere's (however you spell the spice) and serve with a little rice on the side or some fried squash.

Yes. That's the primary reason.

Mellow

Mellow

primary