Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Justices spar over the constitutionality of the death penalty
(07-01-2015, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  Only a Pharisee would believe that there would be different levels in heaven.

2.  How can you not be in favor of killing people for being homosexual?  I thought you couldn't have it "half way".

1. Where did I say there were different levels of Heaven; I said folks joke about that.

2. Halfway refers more to believing Jesus' word and not God's. I can be in favor of not killing people for homosexual acts (not being homosexual) because it is not mentioned in the New Testiment as punishable by such and I am "better". The only mention of "killing the sinner" is refering to murder. 

[Image: statefarm-fisherman-300x300.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-01-2015, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only a Pharisee would believe that there would be different levels in heaven.

Or a Mormon.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(07-01-2015, 07:59 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Or a Mormon.

Actually, there is talk throughout the Scripture of Different levels of Heaven; however, it is my understanding that there is only one Heaven we know as Paradise. However, I do believe there is reason to believe that there are different levels of "reward" in heaven. 

Besides the reference I provided earlier, there are others that suggest folks will be rewarded will be repaid according to what they have done and when the disciples asked Jesus which could sit by his side in Heaven; he said his father determines who sits where.

I once had a preacher that called Salvation "getting your Fire Insurance". The point is to get your full reward you must constantly walk in the light. There is a very good chance that these rewards are internal.  

If we're going to argue over a work of fiction, can we at least argue over something interesting like Harry Potter?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-01-2015, 10:18 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If we're going to argue over a work of fiction, can we at least argue over something interesting like Harry Potter?

That's pretty disresptful. Especially for something you can't prove or disprove. So calling it fiction is false unless it's able to be proven.
(07-01-2015, 11:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's pretty disresptful.   Especially for something you can't prove or disprove.   So calling it fiction is false unless it's able to be proven.

How did the penguins get on the ark?

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-01-2015, 11:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: How did the penguins get on the ark?

Mellow

Madagascar
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
(07-01-2015, 11:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: How did the penguins get on the ark?

Mellow

Through the entrance?

(07-02-2015, 01:05 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Through the entrance?

How did they get to the ark?

Oh...they walked.  Right?

Rolleyes
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-01-2015, 11:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's pretty disresptful.   Especially for something you can't prove or disprove.   So calling it fiction is false unless it's able to be proven.

EDIT:  deleted...too easy
(07-01-2015, 12:53 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yes, seriously. Why is killing a combatant okay, but abortion isn't?

For a variety of reasons, suffice it to say that a combatant is an adult that is trying to kill you and abortion is the murder of an innocent child. 

oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:Doesn't seem like you are morally opposed to the idea of killing. In fact, it seems as if it is morally acceptable for soldiers to kill. Why is killing morally acceptable under certain conditions and unacceptable under other conditions?

Actually, I am morally opposed to the idea of killing, but I do recognize that there are times when it is necessary. For example, if one of my kids' life was on the line and the only way to save it was to kill the person threatening them, you'd best believe that I would do the deed. With that said, the Bible is not opposed to the idea of killing, when it's justified.
(07-01-2015, 01:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is where by Anabaptist upbringing comes in. Killing of all sorts if immoral to me. War is immoral, death penalty is immoral. Even abortion is, to me, immoral. It's just all about the government's place in those decisions that drives me to be pro-choice.

Interesting side note: the first of my ancestors to come to America were Anabaptist. And because of their anti-violence stance, the wife, 2nd eldest son, and youngest daughter were killed by indians in the French and Indian War and they kidnapped the rest of the family (minus the oldest son and daughter who were already married and living elsewhere at the time).

Somehow, through it all, they managed to retain their Anabaptist beliefs and never resorted to violence.
(07-01-2015, 03:33 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The Bible also has no qualms with a lot of things that modern society would be pretty appalled by.  We shouldn't be basing our morals on a book written by farmers from a couple millennia ago.

You're right. It's horrible to try to love and be kind to your fellow man. Trying to get people to live in peace and harmony. What an atrocious thing to try to do.  Rolleyes
(07-01-2015, 09:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  However, I do believe there is reason to believe that there are different levels of "reward" in heaven. 

Then you are thinking like a Pharisee.

Didn't the people who only worked in the vineyard for an hour get the same pay as the people who worked all day?
(07-02-2015, 12:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Interesting side note: the first of my ancestors to come to America were Anabaptist. And because of their anti-violence stance, the wife, 2nd eldest son, and youngest daughter were killed by indians in the French and Indian War and they kidnapped the rest of the family (minus the oldest son and daughter who were already married and living elsewhere at the time).

Somehow, through it all, they managed to retain their Anabaptist beliefs and never resorted to violence.

My ancestors (on my father's side) were in modern day Somerset County in PA during the French and Indian War, so they were on the frontier of it all. I am unaware of any of them falling victim to any violence in the area, but they were Anabaptists and so would not have fought. My mother's side, also Anabaptists, didn't make their way here until the time between that war and the Revolution, making their way here into the Shenandoah Valley during that time frame, escaping much of the violence of that war. Though the Civil War did claim the lives of some of those ancestors because they were executed (some by the Union, some by the CSA) under suspicion of espionage because they would aid anyone that needed it and one of them would travel to Pennsylvania and Ohio to minister to congregations in those areas.
(07-02-2015, 12:07 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You're right. It's horrible to try to love and be kind to your fellow man. Trying to get people to live in peace and harmony. What an atrocious thing to try to do.  Rolleyes

I think JC might be talking about the Old Testament.

Too many people try to live a "Christian life" based on a bunch of books that have nothing to do with Christ.
(07-02-2015, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think JC might be talking about the Old Testament.

Too many people try to live a "Christian life" based on a bunch of books that have nothing to do with Christ.

He needs to clarify then and not specify the entire Bible if he meant only the OT.

As to your 2nd point, I agree if you're saying you can't live a Christian life by basing your life solely on the teachings in the OT. In that case, you'd be living a Jewish life.  Smirk

In all seriousness, a Christian should still not overlook the OT. Maybe it's not to be used as a guidebook per se, but it can deepen our understanding of Jesus and His disciple's teachings and strengthen our relationship with God.
(07-02-2015, 12:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: As to your 2nd point, I agree if you're saying you can't live a Christian life by basing your life solely on the teachings in the OT. In that case, you'd be living a Jewish life.  Smirk

All this time I thought I lived a Jewish life by having a beard, a big nose, dark skin, being cheap, and getting my MA from Hofstra.
(07-02-2015, 12:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My ancestors (on my father's side) were in modern day Somerset County in PA during the French and Indian War, so they were on the frontier of it all. I am unaware of any of them falling victim to any violence in the area, but they were Anabaptists and so would not have fought. My mother's side, also Anabaptists, didn't make their way here until the time between that war and the Revolution, making their way here into the Shenandoah Valley during that time frame, escaping much of the violence of that war. Though the Civil War did claim the lives of some of those ancestors because they were executed (some by the Union, some by the CSA) under suspicion of espionage because they would aid anyone that needed it and one of them would travel to Pennsylvania and Ohio to minister to congregations in those areas.

It's quite possible that your ancestors and my ancestors crossed paths. Kinda cool when you think about it.
(07-02-2015, 12:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: All this time I thought I lived a Jewish life by having a beard, a big nose, dark skin, being cheap, and getting my MA from Hofstra.

Don't forget about your control over the banking industry and Hollywood. ThumbsUp