Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Key to Restoring Bengal Greatness
The Steel Curtain. The Purple People Eaters. The Fearsome Foursome. The Doomsday Defense. The ‘85 Bears. The ‘00 Ravens. With or without a nickname, the best defenses in the NFL are iconic and stand the test of time. Furthermore, these defenses live on in history as the finest examples in the game. Defensive players are iconic too. Think of Dick Butkus, Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lott, the Minister of Defense, Willie Brown, Bob Lilly, and more.

The Bengals have had good-to-great defenses in the past most recently under Mike Zimmer. Incidentally, there have been more playoff appearances for the Bengals win the defense is well above average. Why is this? Sometimes even the best offenses struggle during a game and the defense has to win the game for the team. The Cincinnati defense used to be able to do this but no longer. Here in the AFC North where the play is very physical a solid, stout defense is very important — especially one which generates lots of sacks and turnovers.

These days the only turnovers found in Cincinnati are in the baked goods section at Busken and the only sacks are found in the checkout aisles at Kroger.

For the Cincinnati Bengals to return to greatness I believe developing a shutdown defense is the easiest path to get there. Lou Anarumo isn’t the guy to get the team there unfortunately and it pains me to write that because I have lots of personal respect for Lou. He was brought into a bad situation and didn’t make things much worse.

Let’s start by hiring Wade Phillips or Dan Quinn as defensive coordinator.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My biggest takeaway on defense last week was that it's pronounced McKenSEE Alexander...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Lou Anarumo absolutely did make things worse though. Look no further than how he handled Dunlap, and is currently handling Geno. Not a single player other than Jessie Bates has improved under him. In fact, most have regressed. And I have no idea what he’s ever done to earn any “respect” other than you Ike him because he’s Italian...

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 12:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Steel Curtain.  The Purple People Eaters.  The Fearsome Foursome.  The Doomsday Defense.  The ‘85 Bears.  The ‘00 Ravens.  With or without a nickname, the best defenses in the NFL are iconic and stand the test of time. Furthermore, these defenses live on in history as the finest examples in the game.  Defensive players are iconic too.  Think of Dick Butkus, Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lott, the Minister of Defense, Willie Brown, Bob Lilly, and more.

The Bengals have had good-to-great defenses in the past most recently under Mike Zimmer.   Incidentally, there have been more playoff appearances for the Bengals win the defense is well above average. Why is this? Sometimes even the best offenses struggle during a game and the defense has to win the game for the team. The Cincinnati defense used to be able to do this but no longer.  Here in the AFC North where the play is very physical a solid, stout defense is very important — especially one which generates lots of sacks and turnovers.

These days the only turnovers found in Cincinnati are in the baked goods section at Busken and the only sacks are found in the checkout aisles at Kroger.  

For the Cincinnati Bengals to return to greatness I believe developing a shutdown defense is the easiest path to get there.  Lou Anarumo isn’t the guy to get the team there unfortunately and it pains me to write that because I have lots of personal respect for Lou.  He was brought into a bad situation and didn’t make things much worse.  

Based on the way the Bengals spent money ion free agency I am pretty sure they agree with you.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, isn't it great now that we have a QB who makes our offense great without needing any talent around him.

LOL

Tee Higgins... What'a waste.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 12:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Steel Curtain.  The Purple People Eaters.  The Fearsome Foursome.  The Doomsday Defense.  The ‘85 Bears.  The ‘00 Ravens.  With or without a nickname, the best defenses in the NFL are iconic and stand the test of time. Furthermore, these defenses live on in history as the finest examples in the game.  Defensive players are iconic too.  Think of Dick Butkus, Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lott, the Minister of Defense, Willie Brown, Bob Lilly, and more.

The Bengals have had good-to-great defenses in the past most recently under Mike Zimmer.   Incidentally, there have been more playoff appearances for the Bengals win the defense is well above average. Why is this? Sometimes even the best offenses struggle during a game and the defense has to win the game for the team. The Cincinnati defense used to be able to do this but no longer.  Here in the AFC North where the play is very physical a solid, stout defense is very important — especially one which generates lots of sacks and turnovers.

For the Cincinnati Bengals to return to greatness I believe developing a shutdown defense is the easiest path to get there.  Lou Anarumo isn’t the guy to get the team there unfortunately and it pains me to write that because I have lots of personal respect for Lou.  He was brought into a bad situation and didn’t make things much worse.  

I will do you one better.  Let's hire Zimmer as Head coach and Wade Phillips as DC if Zimmer gets fired after this season.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 03:13 PM)Okeana Wrote: I will do you one better.  Let's hire Zimmer as Head coach and Wade Phillips as DC if Zimmer gets fired after this season.  

The Vikings are 5-6 and 2nd in their division after starting the season 1-5... Zim ain’t going anywhere...
Reply/Quote
In the 10 drafts before burrow the bugles had to use 4 first round picks on TEs and WRs - among their awful oline picks

In the same 10 drafts, the Steelers didn’t draft one 1st round offensive skill player. They drafted 5 lb’s, a safety and de.

Lolol

What’s the Steelers record vs the bungles in the last 10 years?

Its like 18 and 3

Or 16 and 5 at worst
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 04:05 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: In the 10 drafts before burrow the bugles had to use 4 first round picks on TEs and WRs   

KC Chiefs also used 4 first round picks on offensive skill players in their last 10 drafts. So have lots of other very good teams.
Reply/Quote
I propose our crap defense gets the nickname "The Orange Door-Hinge" because they are constantly providing an opening to victory for our opponents.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 05:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: KC Chiefs also used 4 first round picks on offensive skill players in their last 10 drafts. So have lots of other very good teams.

You’re wrong as normal

In the chiefs last 11 1st round picks they have taken mahomes and a wr and rb
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 06:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I propose our crap defense gets the nickname "The Orange Door-Hinge" because they are constantly providing an opening to victory for our opponents.

I just think it's a damn good thing for MB's sake that the Bengals didn't have some offensive team name.

Otherwise if they had to be called the "Cincinnati Football Team" this year people would've thought they were talking about the Bearcats.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 06:22 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I just think it's a damn good thing for MB's sake that the Bengals didn't have some offensive team name.

Otherwise if they had to be called the "Cincinnati Football Team" this year people would've thought they were talking about the Bearcats.

Cincinnati Fartball Squadron™
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 12:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Steel Curtain. The Purple People Eaters. The Fearsome Foursome. The Doomsday Defense. The ‘85 Bears. The ‘00 Ravens. With or without a nickname, the best defenses in the NFL are iconic and stand the test of time. Furthermore, these defenses live on in history as the finest examples in the game. Defensive players are iconic too. Think of Dick Butkus, Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lott, the Minister of Defense, Willie Brown, Bob Lilly, and more.

The Bengals have had good-to-great defenses in the past most recently under Mike Zimmer. Incidentally, there have been more playoff appearances for the Bengals win the defense is well above average. Why is this? Sometimes even the best offenses struggle during a game and the defense has to win the game for the team. The Cincinnati defense used to be able to do this but no longer. Here in the AFC North where the play is very physical a solid, stout defense is very important — especially one which generates lots of sacks and turnovers.

For the Cincinnati Bengals to return to greatness I believe developing a shutdown defense is the easiest path to get there. Lou Anarumo isn’t the guy to get the team there unfortunately and it pains me to write that because I have lots of personal respect for Lou. He was brought into a bad situation and didn’t make things much worse.

They definitely need to improve the D (especially the pass rush) but there’s a reason all of the defenses you named are 20+ years old. It’s an offensive league now. Defense doesn’t win championships any more. The rules dictate that.
That’s the reason all of the QB records are from current QBs. The rules let them play into their 40s because they are not absorbing nearly as much punishment. Brees/Brady/Mahomes/Manning are great but what kind of numbers could Marino/Elway/Montana put up with these rules.

Fix the O line first and just get the D to be good. They don’t need to be great to win.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 04:05 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: In the 10 drafts before burrow the bugles had to use 4 first round picks on TEs and WRs - among their awful oline picks

In the same 10 drafts, the Steelers didn’t draft one 1st round offensive skill player. They drafted 5 lb’s, a safety and de.

Lolol

What’s the Steelers record vs the bungles in the last 10 years?

Its like 18 and 3

Or 16 and 5 at worst

Great point. Much better strategy to grab skill positions later in the draft. Claypool was a mid to late 2nd. Antonio Brown, Diontae Johnson, etc. I thought Claypool might slip into the 1st predraft, but I was wrong. You can get good tight ends and RBs in the mid rounds as well.

They should focus on offensive line and defense in the early rounds. Just don’t draft an early guard if you aren’t planning on extending him. Loved the Zeitler pick at the time—but looking back it was a waste as they didn’t resign him. A 1st round pick should be in the plans for 10 years. LT, CB, DE/Olb, DT all are worthy of 1st round picks. I like guards too, but sign them for longer than their rookie contract. Also, if a truly elite playmaker is there that is sure to be great, go for it. John Ross was not a sure fire pick and was wasted. AJ and Julio were, and were great picks.

Hoping for Sewill in the 1st and a good edge rusher, CB, or guard to slip into the 2nd.

One of the major flaws in our strategy is building from the outside and neglecting our offensive line. Skill on the outside is moot if you have a crap oline. We should be building from the trenches outward. On defense as well, pressure make corners look a lot better. A strong Dline is the most valuable part of the defense—both against the run and pass.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 12:32 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Great point. Much better strategy to grab skill positions later in the draft. Claypool was a mid to late 2nd. Antonio Brown, Diontae Johnson, etc. I thought Claypool might slip into the 1st predraft, but I was wrong. You can get good tight ends and RBs in the mid rounds as well.

They should focus on offensive line and defense in the early rounds. Just don’t draft an early guard if you aren’t planning on extending him. Loved the Zeitler pick at the time—but looking back it was a waste as they didn’t resign him. A 1st round pick should be in the plans for 10 years. LT, CB, DE/Olb, DT all are worthy of 1st round picks. I like guards too, but sign them for longer than their rookie contract. Also, if a truly elite playmaker is there that is sure to be great, go for it. John Ross was not a sure fire pick and was wasted. AJ and Julio were, and were great picks.

Hoping for Sewill in the 1st and a good edge rusher, CB, or guard to slip into the 2nd.

One of the major flaws in our strategy is building from the outside and neglecting our offensive line. Skill on the outside is moot if you have a crap oline. We should be building from the trenches outward. On defense as well, pressure make corners look a lot better. A strong Dline is the most valuable part of the defense—both against the run and pass.

Hopefully Burrow affords us this luxury over the next 4 years. 

Pats/Pats/Cheifs/Steelers rarely use a 1st rounder on an offensive skill player.  - Chiefs did take CEH last year, but when you're set, you can take luxury pics. 

During Bradys 12 year most dominant reign, 2005-2018, they spent 2 1st rounders on Offense Skill - Maroney and Michelle 

The packers have NEVER spent a 1st rounder on a skill player for Aaron Rodgers - have to go back to 2002 when they took Javon Walker 

Granted, they took Jordan love last year, but that doesnt help them now. 
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 02:12 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: The packers have NEVER spent a 1st rounder on a skill player for Aaron Rodgers - have to go back to 2002 when they took Javon Walker 

And Packer fans always complain about it. “Rogers doesn’t have any weapons wahhhh”... but here he is racking up MVP numbers.

Those fans don’t realize how good they’ve had it.
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2 I remember the '05 defense. Every Sunday going into the game, you KNEW they were going to pick at least 3 passes sometimes more or a couple of fumbles.

I don't think a defense needs to be great. They need to be good and opportunistic...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote

you left out the Denver Broncos "Orange Crush Defense" ....Lyle Alzado, Ruben Carter, Tom Jackson, Randy Gradishar....etc, etc.
and I agree...we need to get some identity on the D side for sure.....compared to the rest of the div, its laughable.  
I do like what Bell and Alexander have brought and Reader looked solid when he was out there...maybe next season we can get folks healthy and make some good moves in Draft and FA and start   
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 02:12 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: Hopefully Burrow affords us this luxury over the next 4 years. 

Pats/Pats/Cheifs/Steelers rarely use a 1st rounder on an offensive skill player.  - Chiefs did take CEH last year, but when you're set, you can take luxury pics. 

During Bradys 12 year most dominant reign, 2005-2018, they spent 2 1st rounders on Offense Skill - Maroney and Michelle 

The packers have NEVER spent a 1st rounder on a skill player for Aaron Rodgers - have to go back to 2002 when they took Javon Walker 

Granted, they took Jordan love last year, but that doesnt help them now. 

I think Burrow can get it done with Boyd and Tee Higgens, and mid-late round picks. If they want to spread the defense out with 5 wideouts like they've been doing, the offensive line needs to be really good though. A more balanced attack would protect Burrow; but again, you need a good offensive line to both run the ball and pass block.

Investing in the oline and defense should be top priority with their early picks.
Reply/Quote