Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The LBer issue, is there a fix ?
(09-26-2019, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That pocket presence thing where you step up a couple feet and the rusher can't get you but you give yourself an extra 2-3 seconds...is probably my biggest criticism of Dalton.

Guys like Manning and Brady have that. I think it elevates a QB's play to the next tier because defenses can only cover so long and giving yourself an extra couple seconds allows guys to come open.

It's especially frustrating to watch your battle tested, 9th year veteran QB struggle with pocket awareness.  Especially when the rookie, 4th round pick masterfully navigated in the pocket, during preseason.  However, you don't dare throw that rookie out there right now, while he's still trying to figure out how to read NFL defenses.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 10:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't understand why they don't do more roll out/sprint out type of plays?  Andy is quite mobile, and has proven to be an effective runner, when ever he does.  I understand that many don't like roll out/sprint out plays, as it essentially cuts off 1/2 of the field for the defense to cover.  I'm not suggesting that they should do it a dozen times/game, just throw a couple in there to give the defenses something to think about, rather than just rushing straight up field every down..

(09-26-2019, 10:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

And I know Dalton isn't a speed demon,  however. What's wrong with a designed QB draw every once in a while ? Catch em in man to man and just take off. Like you say give em something else to consider.

There was a play or two in the Bills game where it looked like a lot of open green out there and he threw it away.

(09-26-2019, 11:06 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah or even a bootleg where he throws from outside the pocket?

I have to say, our offense is much more vanilla than I had hoped. The execution has generally been poor too as we're dependent on big plays to score.

Bootlegs will work from the left hash for a right handed QB, but your RT has to contain his guy AND have at least one G pull (naked won't work with Andy). Besides, Andy is forced to work from shotgun so much that bootlegs are not an option.

The way DLs are teeing off on us, screens and shovels are really the only viable options. LBs are sitting on slants and shallow crosses because the entire DL seems to be in our backfield after the snap.

The other solution is working out of a two TE sets as base offense, and sending the back out occasionally on wheels and flares and one TE in shallow cross or seam. You can wrinkle off this look.

Or two back sets to plug A and B gaps opposite the C,LG,LT triangle, and release as you progress. You can run with a lead blocker, or release one and keep one to keep the interior clean.

Unfortunately, any option has to involve max protection.

We have to get defenses to commit their SS to the box from a standard set. They are staying in their base defense and dictating to us.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 07:50 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Unfortunately, any option has to involve max protection.

I'm not so sure about that.  They can set up a roll out/bootleg.sprint out to the Right side easily, by running a play to the Left on 1st down.  The Right side of the OL is the stronger side right now, so use it.  Just run the play to look like a sweep style run to the Right, Billy Price is actually good in space, (or was in College) so use him to pull and cover the Right side DE or OLB. This play will draw the LBs, as well as the SS to come in for the kill, leaving at least one receiver in deep, one on one coverage.

Like I said, they can't run something like that repeatedly, but once or twice each game will put some film out there to force DCs to at least prepare for it.  Plus, they can always vary it, and let Joe carry the ball on an old school toss play.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 08:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure about that.  They can set up a roll out/bootleg.sprint out to the Right side easily, by running a play to the Left on 1st down.  The Right side of the OL is the stronger side right now, so use it.  Just run the play to look like a sweep style run to the Right, Billy Price is actually good in space, (or was in College) so use him to pull and cover the Right side DE or OLB. This play will draw the LBs, as well as the SS to come in for the kill, leaving at least one receiver in deep, one on one coverage.

Like I said, they can't run something like that repeatedly, but once or twice each game will put some film out there to force DCs to at least prepare for it.  Plus, they can always vary it, and let Joe carry the ball on an old school toss play.

I'm all for it, because God knows I'm getting tired of all the batted balls.

And I agree about Price. If he is healthy, he can move.
Reply/Quote
Well we could get a new team with a new owner and all new players..
We should all chip in to have our own new NFL franchise based in Dayton.. Yeah!  That's the ticket! The Dayton something or anothers! They could play the entire season at Welcome Stadium.. 100% owned by members of theBengalsboard renamed to the Dayton Something or anothers board.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 07:54 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Reality is that Bengals are not scoring on offense.

The league average is right around 22.5 points per game. That is over several years.

In two out of three games, we have given up less than that (21 points per game), but scored 18.5 per game. We are averaging 18 points per game for all three games.

If we can keep 2/3 of the Teams to less than 22.5, then we have a chance.

But it seems that we need to keep opposing Teams below 18 points to win. Which is difficult given our OL issues and AJ injury.

True, need to score man. Get Ross the ball man even if he drops a few lol

(09-25-2019, 08:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, there's nothing wrong with this team, that scoring points won't cure.  

Yes sir.

(09-25-2019, 08:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And to do that we have to get the running game going. It fixes or at least helps to fix a lot of problems. If our LBers are on the field for 5 minutes less a game they can't be exposed so much.

Was a nice start against the Bills, that is the toughest Defense to run against.

(09-26-2019, 11:27 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: [Image: 19dfca5fd8302d93065997e04f40fa9e.jpg]

This will jog your memory

Nice... HIT!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 08:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure about that.  They can set up a roll out/bootleg.sprint out to the Right side easily, by running a play to the Left on 1st down.  The Right side of the OL is the stronger side right now, so use it.  Just run the play to look like a sweep style run to the Right, Billy Price is actually good in space, (or was in College) so use him to pull and cover the Right side DE or OLB. This play will draw the LBs, as well as the SS to come in for the kill, leaving at least one receiver in deep, one on one coverage.

the main problem is...  the rams offense is built off the run.. and we are failing horribly at making defenses have to defend our run game. which basically eliminates the play action pass effectiveness
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 05:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the main problem is...  the rams offense is built off the run.. and we are failing horribly at making defenses have to defend our run game. which basically eliminates the play action pass effectiveness

We have a QB that can move well.  Why not use that physical attribute to create some opportunities for plays?  As long as they keep lining him up in shotgun, and hoping he get rid of the ball in 2.8 seconds or less, nothing will cause defensive coordinators to plan any differently.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 06:47 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well we could get a new team with a new owner and all new players..
We should all chip in to have our own new NFL franchise based in Dayton.. Yeah!  That's the ticket! The Dayton something or anothers! They could play the entire season at Welcome Stadium.. 100% owned by members of theBengalsboard renamed to the Dayton Something or anothers board.. 

You're more a quantity over quality guy, aren't you?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
yea dont wait til the third round to address arguable ur biggest problem. thatd probably help. plus we had plenty of chances to get mack wilson through out the draft but instead we wait to pull the trigger on deshaun davis lol this team man. nothing about this season has surprised me. did nothing to fix the worst defense in the league
Reply/Quote
The last time they drafted a linebacker in the 1st or 2nd round was Maualuga in 2009.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2019, 05:35 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: yea dont wait til the third round to address arguable ur biggest problem. thatd probably help.  plus we had plenty of chances to get mack wilson through out the draft but instead we wait to pull the trigger on deshaun davis lol this team man.  nothing about this season has surprised me.  did nothing to fix the worst defense in the league

Except they didn't wait until the 3rd round to address their biggest need.  They drafted Jonah Williams in the 1st round, OL was considered by many to be their biggest need.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2019, 08:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Except they didn't wait until the 3rd round to address their biggest need.  They drafted Jonah Williams in the 1st round, OL was considered by many to be their biggest need.

You draft a LT over a 4-3 LB 10 times outta 10.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2019, 10:10 AM)jason Wrote: You draft a LT over a 4-3 LB 10 times outta 10.

Yep, it's pretty clear that the plan was to retool the offense, starting with the OL.  With a healthy Jonah Williams, Cordy Glenn and a non-retired Clint Boling, that unit goes from being a joke to being quite competitive.  A solid OL with a healthy AJ Green, and you have a dynamic offense that can run or pass with the best in the league.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2019, 08:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Except they didn't wait until the 3rd round to address their biggest need.  They drafted Jonah Williams in the 1st round, OL was considered by many to be their biggest need.

"Lay off the weeeeeeeeeeeed".  guy, i cleary stated the LB was ARGUABLY our biggest need. And You essentially say the same thing in your response too saying OL was "considered by most" to be our biggest need, which is true, however many others would argue LB was our biggest need.  Couple that with a draft like 2019 that was very deep at the tackle position i thought we couldve done a much better job than waiting to address that need in the third round and most importantly which is more to my point, only really in the third... deshaun davis was never gonna be a problem solver.  we had plenty of oppurtunities to load up at the position and nab guys like Mack wilson and we didnt which was piss poor, couldve grabbed david long jr who looks good in tennessee, cashman whos playing well for NY the list goes on.  Now i love the jonah williams pick as i think he will be a stud again and it addressed one of our biggest need if not the biggest depending on who u talk to but i just think only really making a move at linebacker in pratt in the third really hurt us.... we couldve done alot better job by addressing one of our biggest needs through out the draft espeacially with Wilson being right there for us round after round. now pratt could turn in to a good player as well we sure havent seen it.  we are getting torched on defense as i expected based on what we didnt do in the draft. and imho the LB issue would of had a much better shot of being fixed if we wouldnt of waited til the third to address it and then late in the fifth or 6th with deshaun daivs. thats not saying we shouldve gone linebacker in 1 over jonah williams.... thats simply saying we couldve done better in the second 4th fifth etc which couldve fixed our linebacker situation...which is what this thread is asking.
Reply/Quote