Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The LFG Mock!!
    Man do I love this one! I'll be ecstatic if it plays out like this.

I'm my opinion, we get the best player in the draft (Burrow), the best interior OL (Ruiz), the best TE (Kmet), and the best LB not named Isaiah Simmons (yes, I like Gay better than Murray and Queen). 

Then you have a very productive WR in Tyler Johnson, a versatile OL in Adenji who impressed at Senior bowl,  and a LB with some upside in Strnad.

LFG!!
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 09:51 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Man do I love this one! I'll be ecstatic if it plays out like this.

I'm my opinion, we get the best player in the draft (Burrow), the best interior OL (Ruiz), the best TE (Kmet), and the best LB not named Isaiah Simmons (yes, I like Gay better than Murray and Queen). 

Then you have a very productive WR in Tyler Johnson, a versatile OL in Adenji who impressed at Senior bowl,  and a LB with some upside in Strnad.

LFG!!

Very good mock.
But my question is...if Kmet is considered the best TE in the draft, why is he not going in the Top 50?
Also, it seems the Bengals prioritize blocking from their TE, for which Kmet isn't great at, so I think perhaps the Bengals would look for someone more like Moss or Deguara on Day 3 vs going for a TE like Kmet. Maybe I'm wrong though given how we saw Eifert get more involved in the passing game late last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 10:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Very good mock.
But my question is...if Kmet is considered the best TE in the draft, why is he not going in the Top 50?
Also, it seems the Bengals prioritize blocking from their TE, for which Kmet isn't great at, so I think perhaps the Bengals would look for someone more like Moss or Deguara on Day 3 vs going for a TE like Kmet. Maybe I'm wrong though given how we saw Eifert get more involved in the passing game late last year.

Realistically, I think he probably goes mid to late 2nd round with certainly a chance to be in the top 50.

I don't think every TE on a roster needs to be considered a good run blocker. The Bengals have a few of those guys already on the roster, nothing wrong with adding a pass catcher at the position, AND Kmet has the frame and size to get better at it.

He's 6'6 with long arms and had a 37 inch vertical jump at the combine. He'd be a complete mismatch in the red zone.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 10:48 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Realistically, I think he probably goes mid to late 2nd round with certainly a chance to be in the top 50.

I don't think every TE on a roster needs to be considered a good run blocker. The Bengals have a few of those guys already on the roster, nothing wrong with adding a pass catcher at the position, AND Kmet has the frame and size to get better at it.

He's 6'6 with long arms and had a 37 inch vertical jump at the combine. He'd be a complete mismatch in the red zone.

He probably does, as this is a weak TE class and he put up good receiving numbers in 2019 to show his promise as a pass catcher in the NFL. Not to mention he's from TE U aka Notre Dame.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd have to see who was available at 65, but I think if we're taking a receiving TE on day 2, it may as well be a WR. We have a more immediate need at WR, as Ross and Green and perhaps even Tate are going to be gone in 2021 (all in their contract years, granted Tate is an RFA).

Our offensive scheme itself also doesn't really use 2 TEs, especially with Burrow coming in, his specialty in college was light protection schemes and 4 to 5 receiving options each play to maximize his insane processing speed. As far as I know, LSU basically never used 2 TE sets, as their #2 TE only had 12 receptions all year.

We have 4 TEs on our roster already, one of which was a 2nd round pick last year. 

Uzomah is a legitimate receiving threat and he showed that late in the year last year and if the Bengals drafted another day 2 TE, that would essentially be waving the white flag on Sample, which I just don't see them doing.

I love Ruiz at 33 and Gay in the 4th though. Those two are huge value picks and, while I think a better day 1 WR could be found at 65, Tyler Johnson is great value in the 5th round. He could be a slot receiver in the NFL easily and, if he can learn to get better separation on the outside, could very easily be an outside receiver.

Adeniji and Strnad round out a solid draft with value at each pick.

If this draft happens, I'd be happy with the lone exception of wondering what's going on with Kmet rather than a WR.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 11:33 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd have to see who was available at 65, but I think if we're taking a receiving TE on day 2, it may as well be a WR. We have a more immediate need at WR, as Ross and Green and perhaps even Tate are going to be gone in 2021 (all in their contract years, granted Tate is an RFA).

Our offensive scheme itself also doesn't really use 2 TEs, especially with Burrow coming in, his specialty in college was light protection schemes and 4 to 5 receiving options each play to maximize his insane processing speed. As far as I know, LSU basically never used 2 TE sets, as their #2 TE only had 12 receptions all year.

We have 4 TEs on our roster already, one of which was a 2nd round pick last year. 

Uzomah is a legitimate receiving threat and he showed that late in the year last year and if the Bengals drafted another day 2 TE, that would essentially be waving the white flag on Sample, which I just don't see them doing.

I love Ruiz at 33 and Gay in the 4th though. Those two are huge value picks and, while I think a better day 1 WR could be found at 65, Tyler Johnson is great value in the 5th round. He could be a slot receiver in the NFL easily and, if he can learn to get better separation on the outside, could very easily be an outside receiver.

Adeniji and Strnad round out a solid draft with value at each pick.

If this draft happens, I'd be happy with the lone exception of wondering what's going on with Kmet rather than a WR.

Yeah, in that particular mock, I wasn't in love with the WR's available at 65 so I went with the highest rated player on my board, Kmet. To me, Kmet would be an instant upgrade in the red zone over Uzomah or Sample with his length and jumping ability. I'm not opposed at all to taking a WR at pick 65, but I wasn't gonna reach for one there that I didn't feel fit the spot.
Reply/Quote