Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The (Lack of) Defense
For seven weeks the Cincinnati Bengals’ defense was the talk of the NFL and with good reason. Now they are a toxic oozing dumpster fire of ineptitude after allowing 34 points against the Jets and 34 points against the Browns. Before the last two games the Bengals’ defense was allowing half that many points.

Why?

My thought is simple: After seeing seven weeks of film, offensive coordinators have figured out Lou Anarumo. That’s why every receiver is open, counter plays always work, and the front four rarely sack the quarterback.

Besides, tackling has regressed to 2019 form. It’s bad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 10:38 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For seven weeks the Cincinnati Bengals’ defense was the talk of the NFL and with good reason. Now they are a toxic oozing dumpster fire of ineptitude after allowing 34 points against the Jets and 34 points against the Browns. Before the last two games the Bengals’ defense was allowing half that many points.

Why?

My thought is simple: After seeing seven weeks of film, offensive coordinators have figured out Lou Anarumo. That’s why every receiver is open, counter plays always work, and the front four rarely sack the quarterback.

Besides, tackling has regressed to 2019 form. It’s bad.

Yeah before the Jets game they highlighted the Bengals defense in the pregame show. That was one week and about 1000 yards ago.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Yeah whatever is going on with the defense is very concerning. Teams getting tape is probably a large part of it as these last 2 games we seem to be just completely out schemed. The defense is really why I could really see us struggling to get many more wins our offense just isn't gonna win a lot of shoot outs.
Reply/Quote
I just don’t know how we can say it’s Lous fault.
Not his fault the players forgot how to tackle.
Not his fault that Bates and Wilson are getting owned and can’t shed blocks or tackle anyone.
Not his fault that the DEs are now unable to get pressure because they can’t beat the tackle across from them.

Everyone likes to blame the coaches because they are much easier to replace than players but this is not on them today. This is all on the players.
Think about how many times guys were in position to make a play today and didn’t.
These players sucked today.
Reply/Quote
I think you guys are confusing out schemed with out played
Reply/Quote
Its combination of a lot of things.

1.) No #1 CB

2.) Unathletic LB

3.) Lack of Pass Rush

4.) Scheme-
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
After the Baltimore game I decided to add the Bengals' defense to my fantasy team and start them against the Jets (what a no-brainer that was) and the Browns (they're imploding!). Damn, I'm smort.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 10:38 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For seven weeks the Cincinnati Bengals’ defense was the talk of the NFL and with good reason.  Now they are a toxic oozing dumpster fire of ineptitude after allowing 34 points against the Jets and 34 points against the Browns.  Before the last two games the Bengals’ defense was allowing half that many points.

Why?

My thought is simple:  After seeing seven weeks of film, offensive coordinators have figured out Lou Anarumo.  That’s why every receiver is open, counter plays always work, and the front four rarely sack the quarterback.  

Besides, tackling has regressed to 2019 form.  It’s bad.

Although he is an easy target, I don't think this is on Lou.  

From what I am seeing early in the season vs. the last two games, the down linemen are getting next to no push and they are not able to shed their blockers when a RB goes flying by them.  It all starts up front.  LBs are clean, they can make plays and run sideline to sideline.  Pressures on a QB lead to errant throws and less time to cover.  

This team needs more out of the defensive line.  Just my take.
Reply/Quote
When one guy suddenly goes off the rails then you look at the player.

When an entire unit goes off the rails you have to look at coaching.

"Poor tackling" is often based on not being in proper position to make a play due to improper reads.

"Poor coverage" is often being out of position due to scheme.
Reply/Quote
I think pass rush and scheme are towards the bottom of the list of problems. If you can’t make a simple tackle your screwed. Teams will kill us with the short passing game and play action. The Bengals were good on defense because they stuffed the run with tackles for loss and stopped the short passing game with great gang tackling getting in a lot of long down and distance passing situations were guys like Hendricks could pin his ears back and rush. The Jets game was a disaster tackling wise. The Nick Chubb TD run was a joke with horrific attempts to tackle him. Idk what happened to Logan Wilson? he was awful vs. the Jets and couldn’t shed a block to safe his life vs. Cleveland same with Pratt. Bates is underperforming him and Eli Apple can’t tackle ,Larry O missing tackles in the backfield for a loss that he used to make.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 11:50 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I think you guys are confusing out schemed with out played

some of column A and some of column B there
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 10:38 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For seven weeks the Cincinnati Bengals’ defense was the talk of the NFL and with good reason.  Now they are a toxic oozing dumpster fire of ineptitude after allowing 34 points against the Jets and 34 points against the Browns.  Before the last two games the Bengals’ defense was allowing half that many points.

Why?

My thought is simple:  After seeing seven weeks of film, offensive coordinators have figured out Lou Anarumo.  That’s why every receiver is open, counter plays always work, and the front four rarely sack the quarterback.  

Besides, tackling has regressed to 2019 form.  It’s bad.

1) Tell us how you really feel.
2) I 100% agree. It's not a secret that a component of NFL success is the ability to make adjustments to outplay the opponent. It's continuously noted from game to game at half time how coaches have to make adjustments. Equally important, coaches have to adjust from week to week and throughout the season. I've not watched Zac's pressers. I wonder if he acknowledges this? If he does, I respect the accountability. If he's only talking about player execution as the problem then Zac is going to continue to lose. 
Reply/Quote