Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Offensive Play Of The Game Was A TERRIBLE Call
(11-23-2015, 10:03 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If it worked, we'd be calling it genius.

Even still, I have always been told the Pylon is part of the end zone.

So getting one foot down and one standing on the pylon, to me, is a touchdown; at least, based on the rules that the NFL has been purportedly following for the past few years.

I find it odd that those rules changed when it comes to the Bengals winning.

That said, I agree that running with Gio would have been the better play call. He would have gotten the first down, you can then call a few pass plays, run the clock down and, if you didn't score the TD, kick the field goal and go into overtime with zeros on the clock.

But hindsight is 20/20, as they say.

I don't mind losing this game. I think the Cardinals are an extremely good team and they showed it last night. We'll rebound against the Rams and, most importantly, our 1pm games are back!

No more staying up until midnight on Thursdays, Mondays and Sundays!

By the time we kick off on Sunday, the 29th, it will have been 28 days since our last 1pm game.

I'm looking forward to getting back to my old Sunday routine of watching the game with my dad and brother and then hanging out until 8pm before going home for the night with my wife.

I hated having these primetime games ruining my plans for the week and they are finally, at long last, over.

I'm actually extremely excited for next week.

AJ's right foot barely stepped out of bounds prior to him hitting the pylon. That would have been seen on the review replay.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 11:42 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Coaches gave the game to the Cards.  Absolutely NO reason we don't at least go into overtime.  Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb effing playcall!!!!!!  I was screaming at my TV.  Not saying we would have won in overtime, but for F***s sake, at least give them the chance!!!  I never have and I never will believe our coaches have what it takes to win in the playoffs.  Even at 8-2.  I hope they prove me wrong.

Who-Dey

Dude, there wasn't even going to be OT. With the way Gio was running, a TD was going to be scored with minimal time left - game over. I think that's the sick feeling we have and it looked like it on the player's faces lol.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 08:01 AM)Whacked Wrote: I'm more worried about CRAPsburgh sneaking up on us than Denver.

They will. They always do and find a way. Its more maddening then anything else. They are only 2 games behind us and we play them again. Alot can happen in 6 games. Im more concerned with the playoffs. I don't see this team changing at all come playoff time. This is the second primetime game they should've won and made the same mistakes we've seen in the Marvin Lewis era.

Your not going to win one playoff game when you play like they have the past two weeks.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 11:58 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Dude, there wasn't even going to be OT. With the way Gio was running, a TD was going to be scored with minimal time left - game over. I think that's the sick feeling we have and it looked like it on the player's faces lol.

Well ya!!!  lol.  That would have been the best case scenario.  But at the minimum we should have forced overtime.  Just another dumb coaching mistake.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 03:28 AM)Joelist Wrote: It just another episode of prime time bungles. Come playoffs look for another quick exit.

this on is on the defense the offense came back for 3 scoring drives in the 4th and then the defense just gives it away with 4 easy throws to put them in FG range.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: this on is on the defense the offense came back for 3 scoring drives in the 4th and then the defense just gives it away with 4 easy throws to put them in FG range.

Everyone has some part in it, part of the reason the Defense gave up 21 in the 3rd is because I think the Bengals had nearly 0 yards of offense in the 3rd until the last minute (when the gameplan changed, being down 14).
Reply/Quote
Just spit balling here, but if we decide to run on 3rd down and get stopped, then run the clock down and kick the 43 yards FG or worse yet, miss; are the usual suspects blaming Marvin for being conservative, not going for the kill, or playing not to lose?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just spit balling here, but if we decide to run on 3rd down and get stopped, then run the clock down and kick the 43 yards FG or worse yet, miss; are the usual suspects blaming Marvin for being conservative, not going for the kill, or playing not to lose?

I can say I would not have as I was screaming at the TV for them to run the ball so they would not leave much time on the clock.  Why would you leave Palmer time with all the secondary injuries?  Just seems like a no brainer to me.  Not saying we would have won in overtime, but at least give them the chance.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just spit balling here, but if we decide to run on 3rd down and get stopped, then run the clock down and kick the 43 yards FG or worse yet, miss; are the usual suspects blaming Marvin for being conservative, not going for the kill, or playing not to lose?

I don't think you can blame them for taking that shot.  Peterson is on the bench and Green is matched up one on one against a cornerback they had picked on throughout the game.
Reply/Quote
Look, there are a lot of causes to why the game went down the way it did. But even after the whole game of mistakes and missed opportunities, in the end, it was the Bengals coaching decision on 3rd & 2 at the AZ 25 that left the game open ended.

While I'm not down on the team at all and think they will end up with at least the #2 seed in the AFC, I have not been impressed with the coaching the last two weeks. I think the offense has stopped doing what they do best and have gotten too cute or too set in their plan. The Defense is tough to blame because they got warn down in the 3rd when the offense couldn't stay on the field.  I was super super impressed by the young guys who had to come in.

- Poor discipline with the penalties.
- Not adjusting well to the other team quickly enough or very well (the screen passes to Gio were open and working all night... yet they weren't a regular staple). Gio could have had 200 yards receiving if the Bengals had wanted. There was a weakness and the Bengals should have pounded that weakness and made the Cardinals change their defense.
- The decision to throw the ball deep and risk the clock stopping or an INT when it was 3rd and 2 on the AZ  25 with a 1:14 left is mind boggling to me. They could have ran for either an easy first down or gotten stopped and run the clock way down (AZ had NO TIMEOUTS) and still attempted the exact same FG they got with the throw. The run was working... RUN IT!!!!!

Look, the Bengals coaches have coached long enough that they should know better than to muck stuff up like that. It happens. I would rather it happen now at 8-2 than at 12-4 with something on the line. They can, hopefully, learn from it and get better.

For those who want to cry hindsight is 20/20 in defense of the coaches I would say this: Being wrong in hindsight means they lacked the foresight to understand the chain of events as they could have possibly unfolded. Not a good excuse to not understand throwing vs. running there. CLEARLY, the decision to throw on 3rd & 2 on the AZ 25 with 1:14 left is what lead to giving the Cardinals a better chance to win the game. The scenarios after running it in that situation were much better cards for the Bengals to be left holding than if they threw it. They gambled poorly and they lost.

Lets hope they fix it. Oh, and by fix it I mean find a badass center because Bodine was walked over last night.
Reply/Quote

A run play wouldn't have bothered me, but most of us just wanted them to go for the first down, even if it meant throwing a short pass or a screen.
Reply/Quote

Still would have been the right way to play it out... We should have taken our shot at the end zone on 2nd down, then run it on 3rd to line up a straight shot or pick up the 1st down. Either way with AZ not having any time outs we still can walk away with the last play of regulation. It was just another coaching blunder to chock up with the many others.
Reply/Quote

Yes they would.
They are just being sensitive and hypocritical today
Reply/Quote
It's situational football with odds. What are your chances of making that TD pass to AJ vs. the odds of running the ball and getting a 1st down or not (with the added benefit of the clock being killed).

You still have a chance to score a TD and win the game with the latter. So many more benefits of running the ball in that situation, minimum is OT. Instead, minimum became a loss, and it happened.

It's easy to analyze after the fact, but they're paid enough to make a better decision. We would all be cheering if AJ caught that, sure, but since he didn't, there was a higher odd play.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 03:01 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It's situational football with odds. What are your chances of making that TD pass to AJ vs. the odds of running the ball and getting a 1st down or not (with the added benefit of the clock being killed).

You still have a chance to score a TD and win the game with the latter. So many more benefits of running the ball in that situation, minimum is OT. Instead, minimum became a loss, and it happened.

It's easy to analyze after the fact, but they're paid enough to make a better decision. We would all be cheering if AJ caught that, sure, but since he didn't, there was a higher odd play.

I was screaming for them to run it and kill the clock before the play ever happened.  I'm not saying I know everything, I just believe there were more people then myself thinking running the ball was the smart move there.  IMHO our chances of winning go up substantially if we run the ball on that play.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: this on is on the defense the offense came back for 3 scoring drives in the 4th and then the defense just gives it away with 4 easy throws to put them in FG range.

I know, but it is all part of the same thing. We get in the national eye then all of a sudden stumble all over ourselves. If the defense plays well the offense stumbles and vice versa. Or we make head scratching coaching decisions. Nothing was seen to allow for any other conclusion except that we are headed to another quick playoff exit.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 01:42 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: A run play wouldn't have bothered me, but most of us just wanted them to go for the first down, even if it meant throwing a short pass or a screen.

This seems like the best situation.  A higher percentage play to get the 1st down.  With two time outs, they could still manage the clock also.  It's easy to second guess now, just that i would have put the priority in getting the 1st down.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 08:39 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: And Marvin didn't take ownership, he blamed Dalton's inaccurate throw. OK....that spells doom for the playoffs. Lap should take this question and lose his job over it if he really wants the Bengals to win, lol.

Instead, Marvin focused heat on Peko's penalty. Maybe internally he knows he and Hue made a booboo, that's all that matters lol.

If you want to play gutsy, you run for it twice on 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2. You have to pull those situations off to win playoff games. But what would I know, I haven't seen a Bengals playoff win in as long as everyone else, lol.

Man Marv don't give a shit, he has the job security of Supreme Court Judges (they are appointed for life)!
Reply/Quote
From the other thread, it LOOKS like it was an Andy/AJ audible.

It was one of the best play fakes all year I'd say, I wonder what Gio thought. If you see the image Gio would have had clear daylight for not only a 1st down but a whole lot more.

We had the game and lost it. At this point we can probably say NE, Carolina, and Arizona are above us. I'd say if coaching was equal, we would be better than NE, we don't hold a candle to Belicheat.

Andy was asked about that 3rd down play, he didn't answer in a way that he made the audible, and Hue/Marvin didn't either, guess that's just an internal thing. You'd think if he audible'd he would have clearly said I saw a look and we couldn't connect.
Reply/Quote