Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Left Is Cancelling Dr Seuss
(03-03-2021, 12:17 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: You know what I mean.......

I do and it's utterly irrelevant because most people can seperate their corporate views from their political views.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 04:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  These people focus on a person and then grind on them and their employer until they get what they want.  Very few organizations have the spine to tell them to eff off and unfortunately every success only emboldens them more. 

[Image: 19vzhr_orig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 07:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: 19vzhr_orig.jpg]

Maybe the defense for not printing these 6 books could be that they're just not good and don't deserve to be printed.  No controversy or cancellation required!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Another point is that this kind of "outrage" works to cover for important things they don't want to talk about like the Capitol Riot.

Easier to work the poorly educated into a lather about this than admit their brethren attacked the capitol and killed a cop.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 12:59 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Why does everything have to be right or left?  

The thread title?

Mellow
Reply/Quote
Again, this is a non-story other than maybe a publicity bump for Hasbro and Glenn Beck talks like this about it.

It's laughable...and stupid.

Reply/Quote
I think my mother still has some of my old books. Anybody interested in some bootleg Seuss?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 05:18 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I think my mother still has some of my old books.  Anybody interested in some bootleg Seuss?

The scandalous books all 6 of em are on a shelf 5 feet from me as I type this.  Im the last free man om earth.  Suck it!

Related note, I was thinking how freak shows are antiquated and offensive but TLC has money making shows where the super morbidly obese and people with medial deformities and issues are poked prodded paraded about and humiliated.  We are still the same bastard society we always have been.  Fear not, people 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 09:14 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The scandalous books all 6 of em are on a shelf 5 feet from me as I type this.  Im the last free man om earth.  Suck it!

Related note, I was thinking how freak shows are antiquated and offensive but TLC has money making shows where the super morbidly obese and people with medial deformities and issues are poked prodded paraded about and humiliated.  We are still the same bastard society we always have been.  Fear not, people 

You may want to leave the room immediately or be infected with some kind of racist ideology. 

10ft. pole length is the minimum safe distance.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 10:41 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  You may want to leave the room immediately or be infected with some kind of racist ideology. 

10ft. pole length is the minimum safe distance.  Ninja

Actually, I'm starting to feel like an American hero for owning them.  And I think it's time you start showing me some more respect for being brave enough to defy our liberal overlords.  Have you even seen an episode of Amos and Andy, or are you too woke for that sort of freedom?

Also, if Trump and his family really want to fight back they should quit with the politics and just make an extensive line of books with racist caricatures from the WWII era to fill the void left by this latest cancelling.  I'm surprised TRUMP PANCAKES with some happy slave lady on the package hasn't sold a zillion boxes by now.

Neo-cons...you whine when your old stuff is taken away, but which of you is man enough to start making new racist stuff?  No, you'd rather sit and whine for the government to save you from cancel culture.  Turn to the private sector and do it yourself. How about a potato toy who definitely has a penis? We apparently need this sort of thing more than ever these days.
Reply/Quote
Meanwhile...

[Image: Evo7PbiWQAIod5n?format=jpg&name=medium][Image: Evo7PbkXMAAGhZV?format=jpg&name=medium]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 11:25 AM)GMDino Wrote: Meanwhile...

[Image: Evo7PbiWQAIod5n?format=jpg&name=medium][Image: Evo7PbkXMAAGhZV?format=jpg&name=medium]

Just doesn't have a sense of irony, does he?
Reply/Quote
I find it interesting that a thread about cancel culture (although OP doesn't exactly fit that bill) has degenerated into "both sides do it". Oddly enough some of those engaged in that tactic aren't getting called out by people who frequently call out a "both sides do it" argument. Maybe they don't want to be a bad actor?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I find it interesting that a thread about cancel culture (although OP doesn't exactly fit that bill) has degenerated into "both sides do it".  Oddly enough some of those engaged in that tactic aren't getting called out by people who frequently call out a "both sides do it" argument.  Maybe they don't want to be a bad actor?

Meh, both sides do it but only one is saying "Give us political power if you don't like this thing that we and our opponents both do."  My issue with this stuff is that people act like it is some sort of new thing or "trouble ahead."  Remember, Trump won in 2016 because America was sick of the PC movement....so why are we still dealing with this, exactly? Oh that's right, it's a bunch of political bs.

I have the same response every time the NFL passes a new rule and people are like "ARGH this game is so soft now!" and I point out that the NFL became wimpy when they made the guys wear helmets.  We've always been a cancel culture and, if that makes us soft, we've been soft a lot longer than anyone here has been alive.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, both sides do it but only one is saying "Give us political power if you don't like this thing that we and our opponents both do."  My issue with this stuff is that people act like it is some sort of new thing or "trouble ahead."  Remember, Trump won in 2016 because America was sick of the PC movement....so why are we still dealing with this, exactly?  Oh that's right, it's a bunch of political bs.

I have the same response every time the NFL passes a new rule and people are like "ARGH this game is so soft now!" and I point out that the NFL became wimpy when they made the guys wear helmets.  We've always been a cancel culture and, if that makes us soft, we've been soft a lot longer than anyone here has been alive.

Heck they passed a constitutional amendment to cancel alcohol.  But sure, this is new. And from the "left". Smirk
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, both sides do it but only one is saying "Give us political power if you don't like this thing that we and our opponents both do."  My issue with this stuff is that people act like it is some sort of new thing or "trouble ahead."  Remember, Trump won in 2016 because America was sick of the PC movement....so why are we still dealing with this, exactly?  Oh that's right, it's a bunch of political bs.

Sure, but as stated earlier, I think social media has really changed the game.  It's essentially the same as you describe above but now on steroids.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 01:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Sure, but as stated earlier, I think social media has really changed the game.  It's essentially the same as you describe above but now on steroids.

Social media doesn't spread propaganda, people spread propaganda.
Reply/Quote
1. Those books objectively have offensive content in them. It's not like someone is overreacting to anything. The books had harmful racial stereotypes in them. That's not really disputable.

2. "The left" didn't cancel them. Not only is "the left" not a singular body that makes hivemind decisions, but this wasn't even done due to some call to action on twitter like some of these "cancel culture" issues are. This was done exclusively by the Dr. Seuss Enterprises because they identified the problematic images and stereotypes in their own books.

3. None of the books that the Publisher voluntarily chose to stop publishing were Dr. Seuss' famous works. I've never heard of any of the books being removed. McElligot's Pool? On Beyond Zebra? The Cat's Quizzer? If I ran a Zoo? Are these books part of any person's childhood memories? All of his major releases, such as Green Eggs and Ham, Cat in the Hat etc are still fine. Maybe there are a handful of people who remember 1 or 2 of these books if they were legit Dr. Seuss mega fans when they were children, but the claim that this is removing some big portion of every adult's childhood, I'm not buying that at all.

4. Why are some people so obsessed with keeping racist stuff around? I don't get it. No one is erasing history. It's just updating the catalogue of children's books to be more appropriate for what is accepted today in our society. Please. I'm begging you. Stop freaking out over every single time a company does anything even remotely "woke." The same thing happened with removing the Mr. from Potato head toys and adding disclaimers before videos that had explicitly racist imagery in them. I just...I can't understand how the brains of people who react to these non-stories function. Racism = bad is NOT a hot take. This should be basic logic in our society.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I find it interesting that a thread about cancel culture (although OP doesn't exactly fit that bill) has degenerated into "both sides do it".  Oddly enough some of those engaged in that tactic aren't getting called out by people who frequently call out a "both sides do it" argument.  Maybe they don't want to be a bad actor?

But the comparison is not exactly the same. Almost every issue the conservatives have tried to cancel have failed. Now the issues the right are squealing about getting cancelled are getting cancelled.

So the right is not really upset with "cancel culture". Instead they are pissed about losing.

Society is moving in the wrong direction for them. Gays and transgender people are being accepted. The culture of Muslims and minority races are being respected. Strict Christian rules on sex are being rejected. 

So while both sides try to engage in cancell culture the left generally goes along with the advancement of society while the right fights against it.
Reply/Quote