Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Left Is Cancelling Dr Seuss
(03-11-2021, 11:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Side note, if liberals can just cancel people and stuff they don't like how do Hannity and Tucker Carlson still have jobs?

You act like they haven't been targeted before, repeatedly.  They're just too popular to take down right now, at least for the issues for which they've been targeted.  One could make the same argument about Dave Chapelle.  They've tried canceling him several times, he's just too damn popular.  In his case the popularity is deserved because he's a top three comedian of all time.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 11:56 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You act like they haven't been targeted before, repeatedly.  They're just too popular to take down right now, at least for the issues for which they've been targeted.  One could make the same argument about Dave Chapelle.  They've tried canceling him several times, he's just too damn popular.  In his case the popularity is deserved because he's a top three comedian of all time.

So keep your ratings up or you get cancelled?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 12:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So keep your ratings up or you get cancelled?  

Shocked

What??!  Are you implying that sometimes people/shows get taken off the air/not hired/not published because they *gasp* aren't popular anymore and won't make their parent company money?!?!?  Cool

All seriousness aside Tucker and Hannity are good examples of the cash cow...keep those ratings coming and they'll put up with the complaints.

O'Reilly started costing them money with the lawsuit settlements.
Dobbs wasn't high enough ratings I guess.

Thing is FOX will find another mindless talking head and then will literally go to court to prove that no one should taken them seriously when someone complains about what they say.

And the "cancelled" people move to the next thing: podcast, OAN, Newsmax, whatever.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
I also noticed the people complaining about the Dr Seuss books being cancelled are reading the cat in the hat or green eggs and ham and not the ultra important canceled books. Maybe they don't have them?

It's like liberals complaining that Colin Kaepernick got cancelled and then showing a Tom Brady nightlight reel.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 12:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So keep your ratings up or you get cancelled?  

Pretty much.  No one is of sufficient ideological purity to never invoke the wrath of the Wokerati.  The only real defense against their bullshit is to be too damn popular, i.e. make lots of money for your company.  Alternatively, one can have enough money of one's own to not give a shit about those idiots like Elon Musk or Chappelle.  Never in the history of mankind has it been more important to have "Eff you money".  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 12:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Pretty much.  No one is of sufficient ideological purity to never invoke the wrath of the Wokerati.  The only real defense against their bullshit is to be too damn popular, i.e. make lots of money for your company.  Alternatively, one can have enough money of one's own to not give a shit about those idiots like Elon Musk or Chappelle.  Never in the history of mankind has it been more important to have "Eff you money".  Ninja

Doesn't it go both ways?  I wouldn't want Trumps rap sheet magically transferred to my "broke, not as white and loved by people who love capital punishment" arse! 

Keep your head down unless you're beyond reproach.  That's my advice to the world. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 12:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Doesn't it go both ways?  I wouldn't want Trumps rap sheet magically transferred to my "broke, not as white and loved by people who love capital punishment" arse! 

Keep your head down unless you're beyond reproach.  That's my advice to the world. 

Stay off social media and don't give two shits what others post on it.  That's my advice to the world.
Reply/Quote

Yep. Like those six books that got dropped were obscure and weren't really very popular. Had they been, they likely would've gotten the Disney treatment or had alterations done. But that probably wasn't cost effective for the company, so they just gave them the axe.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 11:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Side note, if liberals can just cancel people and stuff they don't like how do Hannity and Tucker Carlson still have jobs?

Because Fox has a set of balls and doesn't cave to the liberals who play the victim card at every angle.

They're the only station worth watching during election/debate time because they call it black and white.

If everyone just caved to liberals, then Fox would be put out of business.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 02:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yep. Like those six books that got dropped were obscure and weren't really very popular. Had they been, they likely would've gotten the Disney treatment or had alterations done. But that probably wasn't cost effective for the company, so they just gave them the axe.

Right, they're like what Ringo's 1977 disco album is to the Beatles...yeah, the Beatles are ultra popular, but Polydor is probably ok taking that one out of print. Side note, my wife is a Dr. Seuss nut and owns all the books and I'm a nut nut who loves Ringo's disco album.

(03-11-2021, 02:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because Fox has a set of balls and doesn't cave to the liberals who play the victim card at every angle.

They're the only station worth watching during election/debate time because they call it black and white.

So you are saying liberals don't actually how power to cancel stuff if the thing being cancelled doesn't let them pull it off? I will say fox has the balls to resist being cancelled by liberals as well as conservatives who were none to happy fox dared to report that Biden had won certain states.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 02:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because Fox has a set of balls and doesn't cave to the liberals who play the victim card at every angle.

If you think Fox is telling you everything black and white I've got some beautiful oceanfront property in Colorado I'd love to sell to you.
Reply/Quote

More like they realize being reactionary and pandering to idiots fears makes them a ton of money. Money > integrity 
Reply/Quote
I wanted to throw this in here to show an example of the government (or a member therein) attempting to "cancel" something just because they disagree with a decision they made.

It should demonstrate the sheer hypocrisy of the entire thing when being used as a campaign point by the right...but I'm sure it will be ignored by the supporters of the same.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 09:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: I wanted to throw this in here to show an example of the government (or a member therein) attempting to "cancel" something just because they disagree with a decision they made.

It should demonstrate the sheer hypocrisy of the entire thing when being used as a campaign point by the right...but I'm sure it will be ignored by the supporters of the same.

I was going to start a thread about cancel culture being out of control. 

And reference trumps call to boycott MLB. 
But I'm starting to think some people are confused on the definition of hypocrisy and think it is a good thing. so idk 
Reply/Quote
So, what's left for the right-wing cancel culture? NHL? I mean, for the NFL is was the kneeling, NASCAR banned the white supremacist flags, MLB used their right to protest to take their business out of an anti-democratic state, PGA pulled out of a Trump course, NBA is, well, the NBA. So, by my count, that just leaves the NHL, unless I missed something.

Oh, MLS doesn't count because we know that the right and soccer don't get along; it's too international of a game. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
GOP: businesses can do what they want politically if they justify it with religion. If you don’t want to be discriminated against, go to another business

GOP: if you disagree with a business and stop doing business with them, you’re “canceling them”

Also GOP: businesses are not allowed to make their own decisions related to politics, even if it means not discriminating against anyone, and we’re going to stop doing business with them
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 10:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, what's left for the right-wing cancel culture? NHL? I mean, for the NFL is was the kneeling, NASCAR banned the white supremacist flags, MLB used their right to protest to take their business out of an anti-democratic state, PGA pulled out of a Trump course, NBA is, well, the NBA. So, by my count, that just leaves the NHL, unless I missed something.

Oh, MLS doesn't count because we know that the right and soccer don't get along; it's too international of a game. LOL

(04-03-2021, 11:49 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: GOP: businesses can do what they want politically if they justify it with religion. If you don’t want to be discriminated against, go to another business

GOP: if you disagree with a business and stop doing business with them, you’re “canceling them”

Also GOP: businesses are not allowed to make their own decisions related to politics, even if it means not discriminating against anyone, and we’re going to stop doing business with them

I think the minute a business starts making decisions based on politics they become fair game for political retribution.  But I can see the hypocrisy in the GOP stance on this.  You do think that the sports leagues would learn from their nose diving television ratings and stay politically neutral.  But it is their decision to make.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 12:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think the minute a business starts making decisions based on politics they become fair game for political retribution.  But I can see the hypocrisy in the GOP stance on this.  You do think that the sports leagues would learn from their nose diving television ratings and stay politically neutral.  But it is their decision to make.

Based on our current legal structure, I 100% disagree with this. There is legal precedent that states organizations are entitled to rights such as the right to free speech. If an organization encounters political retribution from an official, then that is now an infringement on the organization's right to free speech. I don't care if ordinary folk want to boycott the organization, that is fine, but anything from officials in either an official or unofficial capacity is an infringement of rights.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 12:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Based on our current legal structure, I 100% disagree with this. There is legal precedent that states organizations are entitled to rights such as the right to free speech. If an organization encounters political retribution from an official, then that is now an infringement on the organization's right to free speech. I don't care if ordinary folk want to boycott the organization, that is fine, but anything from officials in either an official or unofficial capacity is an infringement of rights.

Let me rephrase.  Once you decide to get into politics you shouldn't be shocked when you're involved in politics.  I have to wonder if there is something in MLB's antitrust exemption that addresses this.  As for first amendment rights, you are correct, the government cannot punish you for speech, but that opens up a can of worms about what constitutes punishment.  Using your own logic how is Biden not engaging in the exact same behavior by encouraging the boycott?  I know you don't fall into this category, but if Trump advocated a boycott, and got one, for a far left law passed in Washington then people's heads would be exploding.  I think Biden initiating this really took the gloves off the whole process.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: That’s fair, hence why I think all churches should lose tax exempt status as many get involved in politics.

You'll get zero argument from me on this point, ever.
Reply/Quote