Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Letter..
As I was browsing JN, I was dumbfounded that I couldn't find a thread on this.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/21/16007086/mike-brown-pledges-dedication-bengals-winning-super-bowl-letter-fans

Quote:An Open Letter to Bengals Fans -
This season will mark the Bengals' 50th season in Cincinnati. Since we were formed in 1968, we have enjoyed great support - first at Nippert Stadium, then at Riverfront Stadium, and now at Paul Brown Stadium. Throughout all those years, there has been one constant: you, our fans. We appreciate your support, and I say "thank you" on behalf of the entire organization. We look forward to celebrating our team's history with you this season.
Memories of our first 49 years are too many to mention, but through all the good times and bad, our fans have been right there with us. Our fans got us started on the right foot with a successful expansion franchise. We made the playoffs in our third season, an NFL record at the time. You cheered us on to our first Super Bowl in 1981 - after enduring a memorable Freezer Bowl along the way - and then supported us to a second Super Bowl that ended 34 seconds too late. You have shown us the way to six playoff appearances in the past eight years, including three AFC North division crowns. You have been there for hundreds of other games. Some good, some agonizing, some too cold to recall, but we have always felt your presence and appreciated your support.
While we have had many good steps along the way, this 50th season reminds me that we have more steps that we want to take. My passion is to bring Cincinnati a much-deserved NFL championship and you have my pledge that our organization is hard at work with this goal in mind. I care deeply about this town. I raised my kids here, and I have an abiding appreciation for the support you have lent us through the years.
I don't know what our 50th season will hold for us. We have a good team, yet the NFL is a tough league. Will this be our season? I hope so. If I had my choice, our 50th season would give you a lifetime of memories, much as you have given me a lifetime of memories. I am thankful to you, and though the simple words "thank you" seem inadequate, for me they really say it all.
Sincerely,
Mike Brown
President
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 08:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As I was browsing JN, I was dumbfounded that I couldn't find a thread on this.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/21/16007086/mike-brown-pledges-dedication-bengals-winning-super-bowl-letter-fans

"My passion is to bring us an NFL Championship"  Did Mike really say that?  
Reply/Quote
Might be too outside, but I think that's a cool and inspiring letter. Whatever has been. I hope for an uplifting season, that our Oline surprises everyone and that this will be a wonderful playoff season. Bit more hyped now.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 09:16 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: "My passion is to bring us an NFL Championship"  Did Mike really say that?  

My passion is to bring Cincinnati a much-deserved NFL championship and you have my pledge that our organization is hard at work with this goal in mind, on a budget of course.

^This was the original version ^
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 09:16 PM)onnieBengal Wrote: "My passion is to bring us an NFL Championship"  Did Mike really say that?  

Guessing that Katie deemed "My passion is to bring Cincinnati a much-deserved NFL championship, yet I realize my own foolish pride, stubbornness, and complete lack of football acumen dooms you, our loyal fans, to yet another giant shit sandwich of a season in 2017" as being a little too on-the-nose for publication.  Gotta keep it light, 50 years and all.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Hey Mike and Marv; just put your passion into winning a single playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 08:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As I was browsing JN, I was dumbfounded that I couldn't find a thread on this.

There was one quite some time ago (late winter or early spring?).  If I recall correctly, the title of the thread did not really reflect what it was about.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 10:22 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: There was one quite some time ago (late winter or early spring?).  If I recall correctly, the title of the thread did not really reflect what it was about.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Letter-From-Mike-Brown?highlight=This+season+will+mark+the+Bengals
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I thought this was going to be the lyrics for the song..
What the heck..
https://youtu.be/BQaUs5J2wdI
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 09:16 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: "My passion is to bring us an NFL Championship"  Did Mike really say that?  

hate to say it Bonnie, It don't mean shit!!!

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 09:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My passion is to bring Cincinnati a much-deserved NFL championship and you have my pledge that our organization is hard at work with this goal in mind, on a budget of course.

^This was the original version ^

But does he mean it?  
Reply/Quote
I'm sure he wants to win. Why wouldn't he? I mean, a SB victory means more jersey sales, ticket and concession sales and bandwagon cash. However, he wants to do it very cheap which is pretty tough to do. Looking at our roster, with the exception of the OL (which is a huge exception) we are almost unbeatable. Hoping all fans get a dream come true this season. TBH, I don't know how I would handle it? Probably have a stroke due to the stress and excitement.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 10:58 PM)Millhouse Wrote: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Letter-From-Mike-Brown?highlight=This+season+will+mark+the+Bengals

I guess I did not recall correctly!  Smirk
Reply/Quote
I think it's a great letter. Say what you will about Mike Brown being cheap, but he takes care of his players. This organization is one of the few that honors their contracts to completion (sometimes to the detriment of the team) Mr. Brown loves football, loves the Bengals and loves Cincinnati. He absolutely wants to bring the city a Super Bowl Championship. You may disagree on his methods in getting there, his years of too much control over the draft and players, but his life has always been about this team. If he was so cheap and such a money grubber, he would have sold naming rights to the stadium. Instead, it's rightfully named after his father, one of the most innovative coaches of his time. I would be proud to watch the man receive the Lombardi Trophy. He deserves it, the city deserves it, and the team deserves it.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 09:47 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I'm sure he wants to win. Why wouldn't he? I mean, a SB victory means more jersey sales, ticket and concession sales and bandwagon cash. However, he wants to do it very cheap which is pretty tough to do. Looking at our roster, with the exception of the OL (which is a huge exception) we are almost unbeatable. Hoping all fans get a dream come true this season. TBH, I don't know how I would handle it? Probably have a stroke due to the stress and excitement.

I agree Harley, Mike Brown wants the team to win, just not in any urgent sort of way.  I don't doubt his sincerity, he truly loves this team.  It will be interesting to watch as TC and the Preseason unfolds, to see if the team has any motivation to make any moves to shore up any weaknesses on the roster.  

In my opinion, the entire key to this season is going to be the play of the OL.  They have the skill position weaponry on board to put up Patriots like numbers on the scoreboard, but will the OL be able to give Andy time, and open holes for the RBs?  I have every confidence in the defense to stand strong, and pull out some 10-7, 13-10 kind of games, but every now and then, you have to be able to win a shootout as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 10:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree Harley, Mike Brown wants the team to win, just not in any urgent sort of way.  I don't doubt his sincerity, he truly loves this team.  It will be interesting to watch as TC and the Preseason unfolds, to see if the team has any motivation to make any moves to shore up any weaknesses on the roster.  

In my opinion, the entire key to this season is going to be the play of the OL.  They have the skill position weaponry on board to put up Patriots like numbers on the scoreboard, but will the OL be able to give Andy time, and open holes for the RBs?  I have every confidence in the defense to stand strong, and pull out some 10-7, 13-10 kind of games, but every now and then, you have to be able to win a shootout as well.

I want to say the OL will be ok. However, such a daring thought to entertain. So many questions there. Even if they suck this year, as long as our team stays healthy and we have our best guys on the field, that will take a lot of heat off the OL because there is too much talent other defenses need to focus their attention. However, when we start getting injuries, it will put more pressure on the line.

And then there's Marvin. Ugh!

Reply/Quote
I have met Mike's wife a couple times on Bengal tailgate trips and I do feel the Brown's family roots are planted in Cincinnati and they are a very supportive family to the community which I hope is why the Bengals are now and hopefully in the future will be a Cincinnati football franchise. You look around and see what has been happening to small market teams and I hate to think about losing our home team. Sure you can criticize Mike for FO decisions under his tenure and yes as a businessman he was able to negotiate great deal with the stadium but you can;t tell me some big shot little roots to the city owner would probably have been able to move to a bigger market by now. It still could happen down the road and we could end up being the next St. Louis but I give us a better fighting chance with the Browns owning the franchise than many other possible owners .
Reply/Quote
I don't doubt Mike's desire to win, I never have. He's just too stubborn and delusional to really understand what it takes. I'm happy he seems to have backed off in recent years, but his close relationships with coaches and players (i.e. His employees) is just plain stupid. It creates conflict of interest. It's bad business. Which is why the likes of Marvin, Paul Alexander and Pacman will be here as long as they please.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 10:21 AM)fullonbehavior Wrote: I think it's a great letter.  Say what you will about Mike Brown being cheap, but he takes care of his players.  This organization is one of the few that honors their contracts to completion (sometimes to the detriment of the team)  Mr. Brown loves football, loves the Bengals and loves Cincinnati.  He absolutely wants to bring the city a Super Bowl Championship.  You may disagree on his methods in getting there, his years of too much control over the draft and players, but his life has always been about this team.  If he was so cheap and such a money grubber, he would have sold naming rights to the stadium.  Instead, it's rightfully named after his father, one of the most innovative coaches of his time.  I would be proud to watch the man receive the Lombardi Trophy.  He deserves it, the city deserves it, and the team deserves it.

I aagree with your post. I truly believe he wants the team to succeed and win. He's just not very good at it. I think he had some misguided ideas early on and the team and fans and himself suffered as a result, but none of those bad decisions were intended. Hell, he's still making mistakes like the rest of us, but he did keep the team in Cincinnati and named the stadium after the old man and if it were as bad as some people portray it to be none of us would be Bengals fans at all. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 10:21 AM)fullonbehavior Wrote: I think it's a great letter.  Say what you will about Mike Brown being cheap, but he takes care of his players.  This organization is one of the few that honors their contracts to completion (sometimes to the detriment of the team)  Mr. Brown loves football, loves the Bengals and loves Cincinnati.  He absolutely wants to bring the city a Super Bowl Championship.  You may disagree on his methods in getting there, his years of too much control over the draft and players, but his life has always been about this team.  If he was so cheap and such a money grubber, he would have sold naming rights to the stadium.  Instead, it's rightfully named after his father, one of the most innovative coaches of his time.  I would be proud to watch the man receive the Lombardi Trophy.  He deserves it, the city deserves it, and the team deserves it.

Well said fullonbehavior!  Mike is not perfect by any means but he does care about winning regardless of what most feel on these boards.  At some point you have to figure the stars will align and karma will prevail.  The shit-storm of heartbreak will someday return the opposite in jubilation.... at least that's what I'm holding onto.
Reply/Quote