Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Longest Week of the Year
(09-05-2021, 02:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Panama City Beach.

My neck of the woods. Moved here 24 years ago. Loved it then.  Now it sucks. Better than Ohio winters I guess.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 03:14 PM)tms Wrote: Fully expect Bates to get re-upped this week, likely tomorrow. I've been saying that for months. In spite of all the twists and turns and "controversies", Adams, Simmons and Smith etc., I think it's been done for a while. They've just been waiting for the right time announce it (Week 1). We'll see what happens but I stand by my prediction.

I think they like to do that on purpose, when they can. Add some excitement and a little boost for ticket sales.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 04:18 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: My neck of the woods. Moved here 24 years ago. Loved it then.  Now it sucks. Better than Ohio winters I guess.

To me, a Florida beach beats Cincinnati 100% of the time. Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 04:18 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: My neck of the woods. Moved here 24 years ago. Loved it then.  Now it sucks. Better than Ohio winters I guess.

What sucks about it, the tourism? I do know, traffic is a doozy when you have to get in or out of anything on Front Beach Rd. 

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 02:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I played around with a Godin once in a store.... I was not impressed. It wasn't bad, it just didn't do anything for me. If you are wanting an electric you can get acoustic sounds out of, I would go with a Taylor T5z. I really want one of those. And, the resale would be much better.

Yeah those are nice.

I'm looking more for something that is mostly electric and can cover some other ground.

The thing that makes me wonder about the Godin specifically is the richlite fretboard.

Have you guys had any experience with it?

Every guitar I own is either rosewood or ebony.

Maple necks are fine but I prefer those two others personally.

I might purchase a baked maple in the future.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
No experience with richlite. All of mine are either rosewood or ebony, with the exception of my maple strat, which is my favorite. Every time I mess around with a T5z, I think I could buy one and sell all the rest, since it is so versatile. Of course. I wouldn't... I know me.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 04:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What sucks about it, the tourism? I do know, traffic is a doozy when you have to get in or out of anything on Front Beach Rd. 

Reading this street name just transported me back over two decades.  I went to Panana City in 1997 and hadn't thought about that road in years.  In fact, had you not brought it up it would have been wiped from my memory.  Now you're got me thinking of Club La Vela too.  
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 06:14 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yeah those are nice.

I'm looking more for something that is mostly electric and can cover some other ground.

The thing that makes me wonder about the Godin specifically is the richlite fretboard.

Have you guys had any experience with it?

Every guitar I own is either rosewood or ebony.

Maple necks are fine but I prefer those two others personally.

I might purchase a baked maple in the future.

I've never played a richlite fingerboard so I really don't have an opinion.  But I do know it was a pretty heavily debated thing when it first came out.  I believe it's synthentic and isn't actually wood.  And you know how guitar players love everything to be like the old days and never change.  I remember Gibson switched to it for one year and lot of people weren't happy.

All this said, I remember reading that a lot of guys loved it.  They thought it felt and sounded great.  Plus it's more eco-friendly as rosewood and ebony are getting harder to source. 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 07:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Reading this street name just transported me back over two decades.  I went to Panana City in 1997 and hadn't thought about that road in years.  In fact, had you not brought it up it would have been wiped from my memory.  Now you're got me thinking of Club La Vela too.  

You're welcome. lol

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 01:56 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is exactly.  I just thought I'd start one where quite a few of us could agree on something, and we could gripe about how much the waiting game stinks.

This week, the week leading up the start of the season, is BRUTAL for me.  If I could hibernate for 7 days I would.  The offseason in general can be a chore.  There's the lead-up to free agency, the lead-up to the draft, and all sorts of waiting.  But none of them compare to this one IMHO.

We've now been teased with so much.  We have the previously mentioned free agency and the draft, we've had the preseason, and now we've got college football underway.  We're so close to kickoff.  And now we're going to get a week that is chalk full of coverage, filled with matchup breakdowns, injury reports, spreads, and fantasy lineups.

There's a few comparisons that I think I can make to this week, and how much I want to speed through it.  One is the week before Christmas when you're a kid.  All you can think about is opening your presents, and each day leading up to it seems longer than the last.  Another is the last week of school before break.  You're so close to being done you can almost taste it.  You spend a lot of the day just watching the clock.  And there's another waiting game that can be a ridiculous tease but I'm not sure it's appropriate for the board.

Anyways, I kinda just wanted to ***** and moan about something.  This week takes forever.  And if anyone has any ideas on ways we can pass the time this week, other than having the same conversations for the millionth time, then I'm all ears.  Maybe we could start a hangman or tic-tac-toe going on this thread.  Anyone heard any good jokes?

T minus 168 hours...

This offseason has been relatively fantastic.  Only a couple key injuries, some new acquisitions, an exciting draft....but for me this week is also hell.  I can't stop thinking about how so much seemingly hinges on this one game.  If they can JUST get off to a quick start, and build some confidence.  

I want this win more than any non-steeler game I can think of (outside the playoffs) in the last 20 years.  I think with confidence, this young team can really get on a roll.  If they lose, I fear it snowball in to the demise of these coaches and we are starting all over again from that point and having to clear a roster for "his guys".  That is the last thing I want. 

I look at the entire team and how much better prepared they are for life in the AFC North.  The Vikes pose an interesting challenge because they have had a pretty solid offense, but a suspect defense.  That is kind of like matching their strength to our weakness and vice-versa.  Our defense is just so unproven, and I have no idea what to expect out of Apple at starting outside CB.  That being said, I believe the defense is that improved and will be really good against the Vikes.  The offense might start slow, but I think they have too much firepower for the Vikes.  Should be a good game, but damn....I am so wanting a win it makes my stomach flip flop just thinking about kickoff.  
Reply/Quote

Out of curiosity....why does it suck?
Reply/Quote
I've been playing Madden 22... The Reds have been sucking but still playing meaningful baseball.

College football back on Saturdays helped a little... but yes the countdown to game 1 is a drag!
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 11:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This offseason has been relatively fantastic.  Only a couple key injuries, some new acquisitions, an exciting draft....but for me this week is also hell.  I can't stop thinking about how so much seemingly hinges on this one game.  If they can JUST get off to a quick start, and build some confidence.  

I want this win more than any non-steeler game I can think of (outside the playoffs) in the last 20 years.  I think with confidence, this young team can really get on a roll.  If they lose, I fear it snowball in to the demise of these coaches and we are starting all over again from that point and having to clear a roster for "his guys".  That is the last thing I want. 

I look at the entire team and how much better prepared they are for life in the AFC North.  The Vikes pose an interesting challenge because they have had a pretty solid offense, but a suspect defense.  That is kind of like matching their strength to our weakness and vice-versa.  Our defense is just so unproven, and I have no idea what to expect out of Apple at starting outside CB.  That being said, I believe the defense is that improved and will be really good against the Vikes.  The offense might start slow, but I think they have too much firepower for the Vikes.  Should be a good game, but damn....I am so wanting a win it makes my stomach flip flop just thinking about kickoff.  

I'm right there with you. I think it's important to get off to a fast start and I think it's a very winnable first game. So that will make it a lot worse if they lose. 

But as far as losing the coaching staff it would suck to start over but this is when we will see there worth/growth. Thinking about this game and hoping we slow down Dalvin Cook rushing but knowing even if we do he is equally as dangerous catching the ball. I haven't really had that thought about Mixon and we should. Hopefully we come in with a game plan to get Mixon in space not only because we might struggle running the ball but because it could help Joe. We need a good game plan to not only make it easy for Burrow but still be aggressive. If we have a poor game where we don't do much offensively that falls completely on the coaches in my opinion. There's too much talent on offense.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 12:23 PM)!QueenCity Wrote: I've been playing Madden 22... The Reds have been sucking but still playing meaningful baseball.

College football back on Saturdays helped a little... but yes the countdown to game 1 is a drag!

College football did help alleviate the wait a bit.  The CFL, too.  You get your football where you can.

Only six days until I/we can see meaningful football at PBS for the first time since December '19.  It's been an eternity.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote