Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Making of the Fox News White House
(03-04-2019, 01:08 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh, that's Chis Matthews' show, right? OK, I can't say much against that, I consider that man a bit of a clown and definitely a Dem at heart. There's this other guy wo loves rap way too much, I forgot his name... but still most hosts are not like that. (They even have declared conservatives there.)

This is true, I also could never get over the salivary tone of his speech.  He sounds like he's always got a half mouthful of water.  Olberman and the guy who replaced him we're both very far left.  I quite liked Olberman, but I think Trump's election broke something in his psyche.

Quote:And even taking that example, Matthews never went as far as to accuse the whole FBI of being biased and part of a deep state that hates America and desires to overthrow democracy. Which is Hannity's whole game. If you have the time, take a look or two at his show for some minutes and realize how many people take that at face value. To me, that explains a lot which otherwise is unexplainable. I consider that a deep problem for the United States.

I haven't really followed much of the FBI issues.  From what I did see/read about there was some untoward behavior.  Honestly, that type of conspiracy theory is easy to fuel.  One person doing something wrong instantly becomes proof of organization wide wrongdoing.  I see this happen in my field all the time.

Quote:My knowledge, admittedly, mainly stems from short youtube clips, in which FOX news hosts shock me again and again with their completely unreflected Trump praise. Maybe that's too narrow a look at it. And I sure have my own anti Trump bias, so MSNBC makes more sense to me and this sure alters my view. But even taking this into consideration, I still feel confident in saying MSNBC and FOX are definitely not alike. MSNBC still mainly reports facts (and then discuss them with partisan guests, for sure). FOX mainly reports opinion and fiction.

Hannity is a complete ass, he always has been.  If you did an extremism scale for all the editorial show hosts he'd definitely be at the head of the pack.  As far as the content of their hard news, I honestly can't speak to that, in recent times anyways in regards to the cable channel.  Their web based hard news sites only differ in so far as which story they choose to highlight.  
Little known, or maybe not, Chris Matthews went after Clinton with a vengeance. He was the loudest voice on impeachment there was.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-04-2019, 01:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I haven't really followed much of the FBI issues.  From what I did see/read about there was some untoward behavior.  Honestly, that type of conspiracy theory is easy to fuel.  One person doing something wrong instantly becomes proof of organization wide wrongdoing.  I see this happen in my field all the time.

Of that I have no doubt. Sure it's easy. It's also completely irresponsible and intolerable for any host that has a "news" tag on the corner of the screen - no matter how much it's officially labeled "opinion". These lines are blurry at best in US TV news. (Something that sadly gets overtaken by our own news stations.)

(03-04-2019, 01:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Hannity is a complete ass, he always has been.  If you did an extremism scale for all the editorial show hosts he'd definitely be at the head of the pack.  As far as the content of their hard news, I honestly can't speak to that, in recent times anyways in regards to the cable channel.  Their web based hard news sites only differ in so far as which story they choose to highlight.  

Good that we agree on Hannity. I want to add that there is no Hannity figure on MSNBC, even though I dislike many of them for their biased take on things.
As for hard news, I gave Mike Wallace a stamp of approval and this is the closest to covering actual news on FOX I came across so far. It's mainly all opinion as far as I can tell, starting with this morning show, where they started to talk directly to Trump and he started retweeting them.

Regarding the online content, ever since we talked about it I looked more often to see one day where there isn't any AOC slam article. As of now, I found one every single day :)
Yeah, the selection of topics already seems biased, but in that particular regard MSNBC isn't much better.

To finish, some recent FOX quotes I consider unmatched on MSNBC.

Quote:The left isn’t doing any of that because the left loves the Chinese government. It’s their model for governing. (Tucker Carlson)

Quote:That screeching moron, Ocasio-Cortez (Carlson)

Quote:Democrats would turn maternity wards into killing fields. (Liz Cheney)

Quote:I want to say to you, why don’t you go f*** yourself, you tiny brain – and I hope this gets picked up because you’re a moron. (Carlson, not aired obviously)

Quote:We are in a civil war in this country. There's two standards of justice, one for Democrats one for Republicans. The press is all Democrat, all liberal, all progressive, all left - they hate Republicans, they hate Trump. So the suggestion that there's ever going to be civil discourse in this country for the foreseeable future in this country is over. It's not going to be. It's going to be total war. And as I say to my friends, I do two things - I vote and I buy guns. (Joe di Genova)

Quote:If you change your mind the day before the baby’s gonna be born, you can have an abortion. (Steve Doocy)

Quote:Does the president have an attorney? Why doesn't the president just run a private investigation onto Adam Schiff? (Brian Kilmeade)

Quote:If you’re like me, and you were—grew up to revere an FBI agent, and the FBI comes to your house, and maybe some crime took place in the neighborhood, and maybe you have a little bit of information, but you don’t quite fully recall everything, but you’re pretty sure you do—the advice I have to give you now is, “don’t talk to the FBI.” (Sean Hannity)

Quote:Frankly, it should be against the law to allow a bunch of snot-nosed kids, fresh out of law school, to file a federal court document that contorts the law in a deliberate effort to implicate the President in wrongdoing. Did they even read the law? Comprehend it? Morons. (Gregg Jarrett)

Quote:In some parts of the country, it does seem like the America that we know and love doesn’t exist anymore. Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people. And they’re changes that none of us ever voted for, and most of us don’t like. (Laura Ingraham)

Quote:Liberals are agents of a historical and cultural purge. (Laura Ingraham)

Quote:Isn’t there a time where you have to tell a District Court judge to go to Hell? (Lou Dobbs, about the Acosta ruling)

Quote:Frankly, I can’t imagine ― because each of us has to come to terms with our own heart and conscience ― I would fire the SOB in three seconds if it were me. (Lou Dobbs, about Mueller)

Quote:A whiny high school kid (Laura Ingraham about a Parkland shooting survivor)

Quote:He's on a jihad of some sort. And it's a sort of ideologically motivated jihad. (Dobbs, again about Mueller)

Quote:Fake bombs. Who could possibly benefit by so much fakery?
Fake News had just successfully changed the narrative from the onslaught of illegal immigrants and broken border security to 'suspicious packages. (Lou Dobbs, tweeting)

Quote:The caravans are funded by the Soros-occupied State Department (guest on Lou Dobbs)

Quote:More kids are being separated from their parents and temporarily housed in what are essentially summer camps (Laura Ingraham)

Quote:Demon rats! (Jeannine Pirro)

...well, that was fun. :) MSNBC, I assert, cannot match those.
(03-04-2019, 03:06 PM)hollodero Wrote: Of that I have no doubt. Sure it's easy. It's also completely irresponsible and intolerable for any host that has a "news" tag on the corner of the screen - no matter how much it's officially labeled "opinion". These lines are blurry at best in US TV news. (Something that sadly gets overtaken by our own news stations.)

Good that we agree on Hannity. I want to add that there is no Hannity figure on MSNBC, even though I dislike many of them for their biased take on things.
As for hard news, I gave Mike Wallace a stamp of approval and this is the closest to covering actual news on FOX I came across so far. It's mainly all opinion as far as I can tell, starting with this morning show, where they started to talk directly to Trump and he started retweeting them.

Regarding the online content, ever since we talked about it I looked more often to see one day where there isn't any AOC slam article. As of now, I found one every single day :)
Yeah, the selection of topics already seems biased, but in that particular regard MSNBC isn't much better.

To finish, some recent FOX quotes I consider unmatched on MSNBC.

...well, that was fun. :) MSNBC, I assert, cannot match those.

Well this could be fun and I may take you up on it after work. Most likely start with remarks about Brett Kavanaugh and the Covington kid

FWIW, I think Fox gets targeted more because it's the only MSM right of center. The Left has:

ABC
CBS
NBC
CNN
MSNBC

and so they get to spread it around
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-04-2019, 03:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well this could be fun and I may take you up on it after work.

That's what I was hoping for :) Did someone on CNN or MSNBC call Kavanaugh a SOAB or a moron or that he should go to hell? I can't wait...
(03-04-2019, 03:31 PM)hollodero Wrote: That's what I was hoping for :)

Okey Dokey. Might start with MSNBC calling Trump's inauguration something Hitler would say and go from there or we can all agree one side is no "worse" than the other. 

(03-04-2019, 03:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Okey Dokey. Might start with MSNBC calling Trump's inauguration something Hitler would say and go from there or we can all agree one side is no "worse" than the other. 

Nah, I need some proof for that first :)
(03-04-2019, 03:39 PM)hollodero Wrote: Nah, I need some proof for that first :)

Well, at first he automatically with with racial and then "corrected" it to Hitler:

Go figure. Pages and Pages about Hillary rigging the election by having the DNC throw their support behind her and get a heads up on debate topics and now that Trump is exposed for doing the same. His supporters are silent.

Just like him and his family using personal phones and email servers, as they've been doing the last 2 years.

Abandoning men and women to die in Niger (where is all the hearings like they did Benghazi? Oh that's right, they really didn't care and just used that family). Twice as many has died over there then Benghazi.

Or the Trump foundation fraud.

The list goes on and on, but as long as the media and Americans allow Republicans to get away with these things (stealing SCOTUS seats in plain site without any repercussions) don't expect them to be the ones to change.

And don't expect his voters to see threw it either as he hit on all these Hillary attacks at the CPAC even as he's exposed for doing the same and they cheered, hooted, and hollered. Fools.

But Dems are just as dumb as they eat theirs alive (all that stepped down due to #meToo accusations while Republicans nominated and elected their accused).

....and now you see them attacking there own by signing and voting resolutions to attack her.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/rep-omars-comments-prompt-house-democrats-to-craft-anti-semitism-measure/2019/03/04/1a4d8c12-3ea8-11e9-922c-64d6b7840b82_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.36b4c335343e

You think Republicans would do that? All the anti-Semitism tweets Trump has tweeted and retweeted. Half their base are anti jews and they do nothing. But again Dems are held in higher standards by the public and until that changes, they'll continue to eat their own. As the supposed left leaning media all demand her be held accountable. Moreso then they've ever done any Republican.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(03-04-2019, 03:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, at first he automatically with with racial and then "corrected" it to Hitler:

Ah well, Chris Matthews. Damn that guy, undermining my stance :)
Of course I do agree, he should never have said "Hitlerian" while making an overall not so decent point. I still don't feel he's on par with Hannity with that one word.

I counter with a Mr. Stein's comment on FOX saying "We have a society in which there are an awful lot of people who have no idea that Stalin, Hitler, Mao Tse-Tung all came to power promising the same kinds of things that Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is promising. And it led to mass murder, it led to dictatorship, it led to genocide. These promises are old promises and they invariably lead to bad things."

To give FOX some credit, they obviously fired Gorka after saying "They want to take your pickup truck, they want to rebuild your home, they want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." --- so there's that. Maybe on the particular part of linking political opponents to murderous dictators MSNBC isn't too far behind FOX. And as I said, some elements on MSNBC, like Chris Matthews or Lawrence O'Donnell, do take it way too far and aren't worth listening to for me either.

...still, FOX, way worse, especially overall. Some Chris Matthews sound bit can't quite persuade me otherwise.
(03-04-2019, 04:44 PM)hollodero Wrote: To give FOX some credit, they obviously fired Gorka after saying "They want to take your pickup truck, they want to rebuild your home, they want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." --- so there's that. Maybe on the particular part of linking political opponents to murderous dictators MSNBC isn't too far behind FOX. And as I said, some elements on MSNBC, like Chris Matthews or Lawrence O'Donnell, do take it way too far and aren't worth listening to for me either.

...still, FOX, way worse, especially overall. Some Chris Matthews sound bit can't quite persuade me otherwise.

A line like that won't get you fired at Fox. 

According to this article from Haaretz, he is on "soft ban" from the Fox hard news division because he was too pro-Trump.  He still appears on Hannity and the other shows.  https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/sebastian-gorka-banned-from-fox-news-hard-news-shows-1.6360133

He was also forced out of the White House, with its high level of infighting.
(03-04-2019, 12:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: AllSidesMediaBiasChart-Version1.1_0.jpg]

Interesting that what used to be called "quality journalism" is predominately "left" here--The Post, The Times, The Atlantic, The New Yorker and The Economist--the places to go for investigative journalism and thought pieces, including those reflecting on standards and the craft.

I am fine with calling the Nation or Alternet or Mother Jones left-without-quotation-marks, but The New Yorker? 

These alignments make me wonder how Allsides is defining and measuring "bias"--a term which so many now assign carelessly to any views different from their own.  I think it another one of Fox's achievements that they've got so many people assigning "bias" to news sources before they have even read their products.  Now some even take pride in NOT reading across the spectrum.
(03-04-2019, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Upbringing and personal experience do not supply you with media links and/or spin on current events.

I don't watch FOX either and I'm very picky about where I get my news from, but you sure seem to think I do.
I read between the lines, both sides going to twist to make the other look bad.
(03-04-2019, 07:48 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I don't watch FOX either and I'm very picky about where I get my news from, but you sure seem to think I do.
I read between the lines, both sides going to twist to make the other look bad.

Seems like I am the only one in this forum who watches Fox with any regularity.
(03-04-2019, 10:30 PM)Dill Wrote: Seems like I am the only one in this forum who watches Fox with any regularity.

Libs wanting to be outraged keep them number 1.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-04-2019, 10:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Libs wanting to be outraged keep them number 1.

Well I get my fill, that's for sure.

But my motivation is more along the lines of scouting and intel gathering.

Frequent surprises in that regard--enough to keep me coming back.
(03-04-2019, 10:53 PM)Dill Wrote: Well I get my fill, that's for sure.

But my motivation is more along the lines of scouting and intel gathering.

Frequent surprises in that regard--enough to keep me coming back.

See the wife is out of town here, the kids are upstairs (not really “kids”anymore) and I’m sitting in the quiet reading. The last damn thing I would want is to watch some cable news station. Especially one that would piss me off.

(03-04-2019, 10:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: See the wife is out of town here, the kids are upstairs (not really “kids”anymore) and I’m sitting in the quiet reading. The last damn thing I would want is to watch some cable news station. Especially one that would piss me off.

Reading=depth=good.  (course, that depends on what you are reading too!)  
(03-04-2019, 10:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: See the wife is out of town here, the kids are upstairs (not really “kids”anymore) and I’m sitting in the quiet reading. The last damn thing I would want is to watch some cable news station. Especially one that would piss me off.

Once you get done with volume 1 of Mein Kampf I'll send you volume 2. 

(03-04-2019, 11:02 PM)Dill Wrote: Reading=depth=good.  (course, that depends on what you are reading too!)  

Some semi-historical Norse fiction. There is a King Hakon but not Hakon the Good. There is a Harald who will turn out to be Harald Finehair-Fairhair but both of these guys are in the periphery (and not even 100% sure they existed) of the story of our hero Ragnvald in the first of a trilogy where our hero will certainly go from simple warrior to leader of men.

Edit: Out of curiosity I looked up our hero and he was a real (according to sagas I imagine) person.