Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Making of the Fox News White House
(03-04-2019, 11:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Once you get done with volume 1 of Mein Kampf I'll send you volume 2. 

I have been looking everywhere for an autograph copy.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-04-2019, 11:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I have been looking everywhere for an autograph copy.

I picked up one last time I was in Charlottesville. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I'm not saying you're nuts, but your talk sure is a bit nutsy.
(03-05-2019, 12:07 AM)hollodero Wrote: I'm not saying you're nuts, but your talk sure is a bit nutsy.

Dude get to bed. If you can’t sleep bfine will read you a story from Mein Kampf.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-04-2019, 10:30 PM)Dill Wrote: Seems like I am the only one in this forum who watches Fox with any regularity.

And nobody voted Trump either.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-05-2019, 10:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: And nobody voted Trump either.   Smirk

This board is not a statistical representation of the country, and this forum even less so.  

(03-05-2019, 10:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: This board is not a statistical representation of the country, and this forum even less so.  

Understood.

But on this board you have people who defend Obama who admit voting for him.  You have people who attack Trump who admit voting against him.

You have almost nobody who defends Trump (I mean the 90% defenders not the occasional "he got that one right" defenders) who admit voting for Trump.

In real life every friend I have who defends DJT admits voting for him...proudly in most cases.  

Seems an odd dichotomy that there is almost no one here given the amount of conservatives who post.
(03-05-2019, 10:17 AM)GMDino Wrote: Understood.

But on this board you have people who defend Obama who admit voting for him.  You have people who attack Trump who admit voting against him.

You have almost nobody who defends Trump (I mean the 90% defenders not the occasional "he got that one right" defenders) who admit voting for Trump.

In real life every friend I have who defends DJT admits voting for him...proudly in most cases.  

Seems an odd dichotomy that there is almost no one here given the amount of conservatives who post.

Well I can give you what I did.  I almost voted for Trump.  Not because I wanted him as a president, but because I thought he had no chance, and I would do my part to keep Hillary from winning by a billion.  Then I thought, there's a lot of people who aren't thrilled with Hillary, and obviously a ton more who don't like Trump so maybe this would be the year a third party got some traction so I voted Libertarian.  I don't think they did any better than any other election.

(03-05-2019, 10:34 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well I can give you what I did.  I almost voted for Trump.  Not because I wanted him as a president, but because I thought he had no chance, and I would do my part to keep Hillary from winning by a billion.  Then I thought, there's a lot of people who aren't thrilled with Hillary, and obviously a ton more who don't like Trump so maybe this would be the year a third party got some traction so I voted Libertarian.  I don't think they did any better than any other election.

Good for you.  Seriously.  That's not snark.  I'd rather someone vote their conscience.  I've voted for people I knew would lose but I also wanted them to have my vote.
(03-05-2019, 12:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Dude get to bed. If you can’t sleep bfine will read you a story from Mein Kampf.

A nutsy story?

But honestly, I don't really want that. His stories are badly written, inconsistent, incoherent and don't make much sense. And Hitler's stories, even worse. 
(03-05-2019, 11:02 AM)hollodero Wrote: A nutsy story?

But honestly, I don't really want that. His stories are badly written, inconsistent, incoherent and don't make much sense. And Hitler's stories, even worse. 

What about those horror stories from your cousins to the north that we read our kids?  Grim is right.

(03-05-2019, 11:05 AM)michaelsean Wrote: What about those horror stories from your cousins to the north that we read our kids?  Grim is right.

You're talking Santa Claus? Grim indeed.
(03-05-2019, 11:09 AM)hollodero Wrote: You're talking Santa Claus? Grim indeed.

I believe that was the Dutch.

(03-05-2019, 10:17 AM)GMDino Wrote: Understood.

I never once voted for Obama but I've defended him regularly in the last few years. Prior to 2015, I was critical of him. It happens.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-04-2019, 10:30 PM)Dill Wrote: Seems like I am the only one in this forum who watches Fox with any regularity.

(03-04-2019, 10:53 PM)Dill Wrote: But my motivation is more along the lines of scouting and intel gathering.

Same 

(03-04-2019, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But I watch Fox News just to try and understand how they and their viewers think. 
It may appear that I am too quick to accuse people of watching Fox News, but somehow they end up spouting almost word-for-word the same right wing speaking points from Fox News.  They even present the stories with the same spin as Fox News.
(03-05-2019, 05:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It may appear that I am too quick to accuse people of watching Fox News, but somehow they end up spouting almost word-for-word the same right wing speaking points from Fox News.  They even present the stories with the same spin as Fox News.

I have noticed that too. There can be several explanations for this.

1. people watch but won't admit it.

2. people listen to radio and follow blogs and websites and forums where the same points circulate.

3. given shared premises, alternative facts, and worldviews, people can "independently" arrive at conclusions about Hillary, the Deep State and Mueller without help from Hannity.

I tend to believe our friends on this board when they say they don't watch.  
(03-04-2019, 11:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Some semi-historical Norse fiction. There is a King Hakon but not Hakon the Good. There is a Harald who will turn out to be Harald Finehair-Fairhair but both of these guys are in the periphery (and not even 100% sure they existed) of the story of our hero Ragnvald in the first of a trilogy where our hero will certainly go from simple warrior to leader of men.

Edit:  Out of curiosity I looked up our hero and he was a real (according to sagas I imagine) person.

Sounds like you are reading stuff that deepens your interest/knowledge in history.  By the way, there are some interesting HBO productions relating to this period (8-10th century AD): Vikings and The Last Kingdom.  The former follows the career of Ragnar Hairybreeks and then his son, Ivar the Boneless.  The historical dates and events are not fiction (the raid on Lindisfarne, the attack on Paris, the great Dane invasion) and there is an effort to make the dress and costumes authentic. The Last Kingdom obliquely follows the reign of Alfred the Great, who is still my favorite English king. But the central story is of a Briton raised by Danes who enters Afred's service. Love stories and personality conflicts bore me, but there is an effort to respect historical detail which I much appreciate. 
Why would one watch Fox news and deny doing so? I fail to see the logic.

Why would one vote for Trump and deny doing so? Once again I fail to see the logic

WHy can't you defend the actions/policies of someone you didn't vote for? I fail to see the logic
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-05-2019, 07:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why would one watch Fox news and deny doing so? I fail to see the logic.

Why would one vote for Trump and deny doing so? Once again I fail to see the logic

Why are people so vehement in their denial of watching Fox news when they are saying the exact same thing that is said on Fox?  Because everyone knows that Fox News is nothing but a right wing propaganda machine.  They want to deny that they fall for such blatant propaganda.

As for Trump people know he is a pussygrabbing lying crook, so they don't want to admit voting for a pussygrabbing lying crook.  And the pre-election polls bear this out.  Obviously A LOT of people who were ashamed to admit they were voting for Trump voted for Trump. 
(03-05-2019, 07:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why would one watch Fox news and deny doing so? I fail to see the logic.

WHy can't you defend the actions/policies of someone you didn't vote for? I fail to see the logic

I don't think anyone was ascribing the first two behaviors you describe to "logic."

I can certainly see why some would vote for Trump and deny it later, amidst the unfolding national embarrassment.

As far as the last, people often can and do defend the actions and policies of people they didn't vote for.  I think George H.W. Bush was correct to push Saddam out of Kuwait, then NOT invade Iraq; but I never voted for the guy. His son's policy on AIDS prevention in Africa was laudable, certainly defensible, though I didn't vote for him.  I did not vote for Trump either, but I stand 100% behind his pardon of those two turkeys.