Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mothership projects Washington as the pick at 28
If this turns into a reality, it will be well worth staying up late on a weeknight to witness.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-com-projects-a-te-at-pick-no-28/ar-AA19xqFB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6cd8eec29ff348879f083158ea36da15&ei=56

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals’ official team site has featured articles from Geoff Hobson for quite some time. He has become one of the biggest names among reporters to follow for Cincinnati during that time.

Hobson’s words carry some weight considering how close he has worked with the organization over the years. He isn’t in the war room or anything, but he knows how this front office operates after following them for years.

This week, Hobson made his pick for the Bengals at No. 28 in the first 2023 Bengals.com Media Mock Draft. This is where he has beat reporters from each other team selecting prior to the Bengals making a pick with a reason to give Hobson a reasonable look at what Cincinnati could be looking at come draft day. He ended up with one of the top tight ends of this draft class.

28. BENGALS _ TE Darnell Washington, Georgia

But the imposing 6-7, 265-pound Washington has a lot of things the Bengals have chosen in Duke Tobin’s draft room during the Roaring ‘20s. He’s big (some publications think he could eventually play tackle), athletic (he played high school basketball in Las Vegas) and is fast with a 4.6 40-yard dash. They also love players from winning programs and Washington has one more national title than Burrow, Tee Higgins and Ja’Marr Chase. And production. Yes, just 45 catches. But he got them in 27 games for 17.2 yards per catch.

This draft is lining up to be a pretty weird one for Cincinnati. The two positions they arguably need long-term answers at the most are tight end and cornerback. This draft is unusually deep at both of those positions. Washington is an incredibly unique talent, but how far off is he from other tight ends who will be around at 60?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Would love DW at 28, whether that is Wright or Washington I would be very happy. But, Hobspin saying it makes me think we
go somewhere else lol Hilarious

Banks it is. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 02:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would love DW at 28, whether that is Wright or Washington I would be very happy. But, Hobspin saying it makes me think we
go somewhere else lol Hilarious

Banks it is. Mellow

I'd be pleased with Deonte Banks, as well.  And if they're going to draft him, might as well get that 5 year contract for him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Been on the Washington bandwagon ever since they let Hurst go. Smith is another one year rental. Washington can develop his receiver skills while providing very valuable blocking to protect Joe. I believe he is the long term solution at the TE position. A potential star; just hope they don’t wait and end up settling for a “serviceable” player in later rounds.
Reply/Quote
If they are going TE I have no problem with Washington in the first or Kraft in the second. They are tops on the board for me because of the ceilings I believe they have.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 04:27 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Been on the Washington bandwagon ever since they let Hurst go. Smith is another one year rental. Washington can develop his receiver skills while providing very valuable blocking to protect Joe. I believe he is the long term solution at the TE position. A potential star; just hope they don’t wait and end up settling for a “serviceable” player in later rounds.

And Irv Smith is only 6' 2".  Washington at 6'7" and Kraft at 6'5" add another dimension to the Bengals offense.
Reply/Quote
Kuntz would be my target at TE.
He's 6'8", He's a helluva catcher and needs to develop his blocking but that's a guy that would take this offense to another level. I think we might double dip so Strange would be a good one to pair with him.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 04:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd be pleased with Deonte Banks, as well.  And if they're going to draft him, might as well get that 5 year contract for him.

I looked back on bengals.com to see who was available in this Mock and Banks was taken in the late teens so I guess in this case
Mazi Smith or Calijah Kancey would also be possible if we want to go Defense instead of a TE in a deep TE class. It would be very 
telling on if we are going to extend DJ if we took Mazi Smith who I think will be a stud in the NFL just the same at DT.

If we take Kancey it might be telling about Carter, the Corners that were available at 28 seemed to be a bit of a reach.

Still love the Washington pick, it is just when a journalist like Hobspin says something I think the opposite lol

(04-06-2023, 07:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Kuntz would be my target at TE.
He's 6'8", He's a helluva catcher and needs to develop his blocking but that's a guy that would take this offense to another level. I think we might double dip so Strange would be a good one to pair with him.

Both those guys should be available in the mid rounds Mike...
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 07:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Kuntz would be my target at TE.

Wonder if that boy is kin to Rusty Kuntz.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 08:01 PM)samhain Wrote: Wonder if that boy is kin to Rusty Kuntz.

Well if rusty kuntz does exist then it’s 102 uses for wd40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 07:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I looked back on bengals.com to see who was available in this Mock and Banks was taken in the late teens so I guess in this case
Mazi Smith or Calijah Kancey would also be possible if we want to go Defense instead of a TE in a deep TE class. It would be very 
telling on if we are going to extend DJ if we took Mazi Smith who I think will be a stud in the NFL just the same at DT.

If we take Kancey it might be telling about Carter, the Corners that were available at 28 seemed to be a bit of a reach.

Still love the Washington pick, it is just when a journalist like Hobspin says something I think the opposite lol

Both those guys should be available in the mid rounds Mike...

yes, i know, that's just who i prefer in this class. 
We have other higher profile positions that need addressed first.
Ideally for me:
1 OT Wright/Jones
2 CB Turner/Brents should be there (if Darnell falls, though I'd take him).
3 TE Kuntz
Reply/Quote
Would be very happy with Washington but hate when they tell who our target may be and it very well could be a smoke screen.

Love Lap but it always wore me out him announcing who the Bengals wanted days before the draft. He was right a lot too, but just think keeping your cards close to the vest is the way to go pre-draft.

If I'm speaking for the team would just point to the fact the Bengals have put themselves in position to take the BPA and how the draft plays out will dictate which direction they go, could be OL, DL, DB, TE or RB. Which is true and at #28 is about all that you can do.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 11:36 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would be very happy with Washington but hate when they tell who our target may be and it very well could be a smoke screen.

Love Lap but it always wore me out him announcing who the Bengals wanted days before the draft. He was right a lot too, but just think keeping your cards close to the vest is the way to go pre-draft.

If I'm speaking for the team would just point to the fact the Bengals have put themselves in position to take the BPA and how the draft plays out will dictate which direction they go, could be OL, DL, DB, TE or RB. Which is true and at #28 is about all that you can do.

I don't think Lap gets to see the board anymore. Hoard mentioned one year that he and Lap would get invited into the war room and that's how they would make their guess.

Covid made the team move the draft board into a computer system and they've kept it that way since.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 01:29 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't think Lap gets to see the board anymore. Hoard mentioned one year that he and Lap would get invited into the war room and that's how they would make their guess.

Covid made the team move the draft board into a computer system and they've kept it that way since.

Agree and Lap has not revealed the Bengals picks recently with the successful track record he once displayed. 

Just don't like anybody who may have inside info naming draft targets for spying eyes to see lol

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 10:14 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: yes, i know, that's just who i prefer in this class. 
We have other higher profile positions that need addressed first.
Ideally for me:
1 OT Wright/Jones
2 CB Turner/Brents should be there (if Darnell falls, though I'd take him).
3 TE Kuntz

Cool, I have Darnell Washington on another level than Strange especially, but Kuntz could be a steal and has high upside similar to DW 
and of course Josh Whyle in the mid rounds. Kuntz had insane RAS scores, I drafted him in my first mock.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 11:36 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would be very happy with Washington but hate when they tell who our target may be and it very well could be a smoke screen.

You worry too much.  Hobson doesn't know dyck.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 02:56 PM)Stewy Wrote: You worry too much.  Hobson doesn't know dyck.

agree and why I never read his articles

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 09:04 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Well if rusty kuntz does exist then it’s 102 uses for wd40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was the first base coach for the Kansas City Royals until 2021.
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking with the big money contracts coming up on the offensive side of the ball we will be going defense with 2 of the first 3 picks in this years draft. Would love Washington at 28, but I think our TE needs can be addressed in rds 4/5. So with that I will go with this: barring a Jonah trade.

Rd 1) Mazi Smith (Michigan)- 6'3 325 nose tackle. We saw how much our D suffered last year w/o Reader, this guy can be his replacement if we choose not to resign Reader at 15 million per year again.

Rd 2) John Michael Schmitz (Minnesota) 6'3 305 C/G- we need solid IOL depth and this guy can be a solid replacement in a few years, while being a solid backup now.

Rd 3) Darius Rush (South Carolina) 6'2 200 CB- solid peripherials for a 4/5 cb guy who gives us solid depth this year in the secondary and will be valuable on ST.

Rd 4 and 5) this is where I think we stat to look at offensive players at TE/ RB.

- Eric Gray-RB, Luke Schoonmaker-TE type guys that fit our scheme as solid #2's
Reply/Quote
Love the pick.

CJ and Hurst were ok but Washington's on another level IMCO and would make our offense so explosive that it would provide far more upside than any other position we could target in the first.
Reply/Quote