• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mythical Lapham Prediction
(04-27-2021, 08:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

T-Rex arms Tongue

[Image: Ez7UlwyWQAwSVzI?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 09:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: T-Rex arms Tongue

I'm cool if Chase is the pick, but I think being concerned with Sewell's arm length is silly...if true.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 09:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm cool if Chase is the pick, but I think being concerned with Sewell's arm length is silly...if true.

I know, hence the emoji. Sewell will probably be a very good OT in the NFL. He’s just not the can’t miss, generational prospect many are painting him to be. I got carried away with the hype myself. Way before the “Team Chase vs Team Sewell” stuff started.

Reply/Quote

Not surprising at all, but I don't think arm length is really the reason. That's just what they'll put out publicly to justify it.

It's more likely that they looked at their recent first round linemen not really panning out and/or their love of star WR's.

We've always had one. Always. Even through the 90s.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 09:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not surprising at all, but I don't think arm length is really the reason. That's just what they'll put out publicly to justify it.

It's more likely that they looked at their recent first round linemen not really panning out and/or their love of star WR's.

The weird thing for me is that I'm such a big fan of Chase, Sewell and Pitts...that no matter who they take, I'm going to be excited and disappointed at the same time, if that makes sense. LOL
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 09:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The weird thing for me is that I'm such a big fan of Chase, Sewell and Pitts...that no matter who they take, I'm going to be excited and disappointed at the same time, if that makes sense. LOL

1000%

My issue is not which of the three we take.  My issue is don't leave the first round without at least one of those three!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 09:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not surprising at all, but I don't think arm length is really the reason. That's just what they'll put out publicly to justify it.

Yup.

His arms are plenty long enough.

The only potential knock on Sewell is the caliber of competition he has faced, but he has still been wowing people since high school.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 09:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The weird thing for me is that I'm such a big fan of Chase, Sewell and Pitts...that no matter who they take, I'm going to be excited and disappointed at the same time, if that makes sense. LOL

Yeah I'm firmly on team Sewell, but that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed we won't have Chase, or that I don't view Chase as a great player.

I'd love to have all 3 of those guys.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

In the exact same boat.

Sewell will always be the guy I want, but none of the 3 will hurt our team, so I'll be happy with whomever.

Also, there will surely be another good OL prospect in next year's draft; we are ok for this year, with a draft pick and Rieff.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:21 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: In the exact same boat.

Sewell will always be the guy I want, but none of the 3 will hurt our team, so I'll be happy with whomever.

Also, there will surely be another good OL prospect in next year's draft; we are ok for this year, with a draft pick and Rieff.

I gotta admit, I haven't really thought about it this way.

We could take Chase in round 1, an interior guy in round 2, then take a long term Tackle next year and be okay.

That said, I still lean Sewell for many reasons, including letting Higgins try to grow into the WR1 role, and the fact that Sewell is a fantastic prospect that doesn't fall in our laps often. Also the fact that we do so well with 2nd round WR's.

But I digress. If it plays out that way (Chase, interior line, 1st round Tackle next year), I guess that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I gotta admit, I haven't really thought about it this way.

We could take Chase in round 1, an interior guy in round 2, then take a long term Tackle next year and be okay.

That said, I still lean Sewell for many reasons, including letting Higgins try to grow into the WR1 role, and the fact that Sewell is a fantastic prospect that doesn't fall in our laps often. Also the fact that we do so well with 2nd round WR's.

But I digress. If it plays out that way (Chase, interior line, 1st round Tackle next year), I guess that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

I mentioned this in another thread, if it’s Sewell playing guard or an actual guard in the 2nd, our line and subsequently Joe Burrow’s health this year are basically in the same situation. You can argue Sewell sets us up for the future at a more important position but the argument we need to have Sewell to keep Burrow safe THIS YEAR is flawed yet the main one people keep banging the drum on. Funny enough, if there is a knock on Sewell it’s that his pass protection could be a little rough early on because he lacks experience and gets lazy letting guys into his body at times...so the thing everyone thinks he fixes he probably doesn’t even fix this year.
Reply/Quote

This is exactly how I feel. I'll be happy with whoever we pick, but I'm always going to keep an eye on the other two.

(04-27-2021, 10:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I gotta admit, I haven't really thought about it this way.

Something I've wondered/considered if the Bengals will plan on making a run at Taylor Moton next year if he hits free agency. No matter what the teams says, it's reasonable to believe that Moton and Williams not hitting the market really altered their plans in free agency.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 11:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: I mentioned this in another thread, if it’s Sewell playing guard or an actual guard in the 2nd, our line and subsequently Joe Burrow’s health this year are basically in the same situation. You can argue Sewell sets us up for the future at a more important position but the argument we need to have Sewell to keep Burrow safe THIS YEAR is flawed yet the main one people keep banging the drum on. Funny enough, if there is a knock on Sewell it’s that his pass protection could be a little rough early on because he lacks experience and gets lazy letting guys into his body at times...so the thing everyone thinks he fixes he probably doesn’t even fix this year.

If we take Sewell, I'm bumping Reiff inside.

I've banged the drum on like 50 reasons we should take Chase. Pass Blocking and keeping Burrow healthy is a primary focus, but far from the only benefit.

I do think it's a little unfair to say Sewell wouldn't help us in pass pro this year. Going from Hart/Spain etc to Sewell/Reiff on the right side would be a massive upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 01:23 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This is exactly how I feel. I'll be happy with whoever we pick, but I'm always going to keep an eye on the other two.

Something I've wondered/considered if the Bengals will plan on making a run at Taylor Moton next year if he hits free agency. No matter what the teams says, it's reasonable to believe that Moton and Williams not hitting the market really altered their plans in free agency.

It's hard for me to believe the Bengals will make any massive move when their biggest signing over the last 5 years was Reiff. Most teams would look at that as a so-so signing. To us - when compared to guys like XSF, Spain etc, it was a big deal.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 01:31 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we take Sewell, I'm bumping Reiff inside.

I've banged the drum on like 50 reasons we should take Chase. Pass Blocking and keeping Burrow healthy is a primary focus, but far from the only benefit.

I do think it's a little unfair to say Sewell wouldn't help us in pass pro this year. Going from Hart/Spain etc to Sewell/Reiff on the right side would be a massive upgrade.

Second round guard and Reiff vs Sewell and Reiff in pass blocking this year is very likely a wash. That’s what I am saying, this year pass protection is probably relatively same as long as we get a guard in round 2. Hart/Spain is not even part of this discussion.
Reply/Quote

It wouldn't surprise me. I know people say it doesn't matter but alot of talent evaluators live by arm length.

If they think Sewell is short armed then Rashawn Slater isn't on their board so if the board looks like say...

Ja'Marr Chase
Trade Back
Penei Sewell
Kyle Pitts.

Who are their possible trade backs? Christian Darrisaw is my OT2, Kwity Paye, Jaelen Phillips, Jalen Waddle, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Christian Barmore top 15?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 09:36 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: 1000%

My issue is not which of the three we take.  My issue is don't leave the first round without at least one of those three!

Absolutey must
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:42 AM)Synric Wrote: It wouldn't surprise me. I know people say it doesn't matter but alot of talent evaluators live by arm length.

If they think Sewell is short armed then Rashawn Slater isn't on their board so if the board looks like say...

Ja'Marr Chase
Trade Back
Penei Sewell
Kyle Pitts.

Who are their possible trade backs? Christian Darrisaw is my OT2, Kwity Paye, Jaelen Phillips, Jalen Waddle, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Christian Barmore top 15?

I'm not sure I buy the arm length excuse, only because they just signed Riley Reiff who at one time was a poster child for short arm tackles having success. Assuming for a second they do have an issue with arm length, I think it's Chase or Pitts and then they will see because you just keep hearing Tobin say they want an elite player. The second round does offer much better options at tackle if arm length is a concern, but also some interior guys who meet a lot of the physical metrics people like. 
Reply/Quote
They didn't shy away from Burrow's smaller hands, but are concerned about smaller arms? NFL front office decisions sure are uniquely different!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'm not sure I buy the arm length excuse, only because they just signed Riley Reiff who at one time was a poster child for short arm tackles having success. Assuming for a second they do have an issue with arm length, I think it's Chase or Pitts and then they will see because you just keep hearing Tobin say they want an elite player. The second round does offer much better options at tackle if arm length is a concern, but also some interior guys who meet a lot of the physical metrics people like. 

I can see length being an issue especially for a top 5 pick but I dont wanna turn this into another arm length thing cuz we both know neither of us see eye to eye on it lol.

I was just wondering who would be some trade back options. Besides Rashwan Slater who theoretically would have the same issue. The guys I listed have elite potential but the productions didnt match outside of say Darrisaw and Vera-Tucker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote