Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The NFL Now vs Then
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Ah, the music of my youth. 12:30 every Sunday on channel 7, after Face the Nation and the local public affairs show that would put you to sleep talking about zoning issues and the water department.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
This is what build the nfl to a money printing machine. Now it is so PC it is ridiculous. It is a violent sport. Let it be that. The players know what it is and get paid very well because of it. If you want a safe job go sit at a desk. Playing in the nfl is like working on a crab boat or working as a bridge builder. You get paid out the ass because it is extremely dangerous.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 07:57 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: This is what build the nfl to a money printing machine. Now it is so PC it is ridiculous. It is a violent sport. Let it be that. The players know what it is and get paid very well because of it. If you want a safe job go sit at a desk. Playing in the nfl is like working on a crab boat or working as a bridge builder. You get paid out the ass because it is extremely dangerous.

It's crazy how protected QB's are. You see guys get touched in the helmet and it's a penalty. It is just soo different than that clip of the 70's.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 07:57 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: This is what build the nfl to a money printing machine. Now it is so PC it is ridiculous. It is a violent sport. Let it be that. The players know what it is and get paid very well because of it. If you want a safe job go sit at a desk. 

Working behind a desk for a trucking company is anything but safe and should require hazard pay. Twitch

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 08:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's crazy how protected QB's are. You see guys get touched in the helmet and it's a penalty. It is just soo different than that clip of the 70's.

That's why when discussing the greatest of all time there needs to be an asterisk for any QB of the past 20 years or so.  Guys who were too small and fragile to take the punishment then can be stars today.  The league has also made the game much friendlier for QBs in regards to other rules changes as well. 
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 08:27 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: That's why when discussing the greatest of all time there needs to be an asterisk for any QB of the past 20 years or so.  Guys who were too small and fragile to take the punishment then can be stars today.  The league has also made the game much friendlier for QBs in regards to other rules changes as well. 

Well stats have changed too. Look at guys like Aikmans stats vs a guy like Dalton.

IF Dalton played in the 90's and put up those stats, he'd be a HOFer.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 07:57 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: This is what build the nfl to a money printing machine. Now it is so PC it is ridiculous. It is a violent sport. Let it be that. The players know what it is and get paid very well because of it. If you want a safe job go sit at a desk. Playing in the nfl is like working on a crab boat or working as a bridge builder. You get paid out the ass because it is extremely dangerous.

NFL players get paid because they are very good at something very few people are very good at and playing football is inordinately valued in our society.  You don't automatically get paid more because your job is dangerous, otherwise people who juggle chainsaws would live in mansions.

Also, the NFL protects players because they make them money, the PC movement has nothing to do with it.  It's all about money, it isn't about society or fairness or people getting offended that there aren't enough lesbian starting QBs.

AND some of the plays shown in that video were actually flagged.
Reply/Quote
No offense, I prefer the NFL with the status quo.  
  WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 08:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: NFL players get paid because they are very good at something very few people are very good at and playing football is inordinately valued in our society.  You don't automatically get paid more because your job is dangerous, otherwise people who juggle chainsaws would live in mansions.

Also, the NFL protects players because they make them money, the PC movement has nothing to do with it.  It's all about money, it isn't about society or fairness or people getting offended that there aren't enough lesbian starting QBs.

AND some of the plays shown in that video were actually flagged.

The whole concussion thing makes them change the rules to protect guys. They're starting to understand the longterm impact of brain trauma.
Reply/Quote

People who love the NFL for the injuries are sick.  Young men should not have to risk their health for your entertainment.  I watch the NFL for the great athletic plays, not the broken bones and brain injuries.

"LIFE JACKETS ON CRAB BOATS ARE TOO PC, DERP!!"
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 11:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The whole concussion thing makes them change the rules to protect guys. They're starting to understand the longterm impact of brain trauma.

Well, I think we’ve known about the long term effects of concussions for decades. It was obvious. Look at punch-drunk former boxers and plenty of former football and hockey players. It’s just that’s it’s more black-and-white now with studies that have been done.

We’ve known that football is a dangerous sport since the beginning. The scientific results of long term effects of concussions are shocking a lot people nowadays, and I honestly can’t figure out why anyone is shocked and appalled. What did they think the findings would be?
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2019, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: People who love the NFL for the injuries are sick.  Young men should not have to risk their health for your entertainment.  I watch the NFL for the great athletic plays, not the broken bones and brain injuries.

The NFL is too soft for me which is why I only watch homemade videos of people sawing off their own limbs and hitting themselves in the heads or crotches with hammers.  Come at me PC police snowflakes!

In all seriousness I was in college during the heyday of Jackass and I remember guys getting drunk and jumping off the roof and running into fences and walls while people watched.  I also recall sitting in my buddies apartment and some good Samaritan types carrying one of the jackasses in and being like "He's hurt, help him!" And I was all like "He's been trying to hurt himself, just throw him back outside."

What a badass time to be alive.  
Reply/Quote
I get the defenseless receiver. I get the serious 15 yard face masks. I think DB's should get 7 yards as opposed to 5. Elminating all helmet to helmet is good. other than that Treat QB's like their any other player need to have a eye in the sky official to clean up obvious egregious penalties in real time.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2019, 01:32 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I get the defenseless receiver. I get the serious 15 yard face masks. I think DB's should get 7 yards as opposed to 5. Elminating all helmet to helmet is good. other than that Treat QB's like their any other player 

I can actually understand this position.

The extra safety rules are needed to protect ALL players while the extra rules to protect the QBs are just about money.  The QBs are the stars.  They cost the most money.  They sell the most tickets.  Most teams can still be competitive if they just lose one starter unless that one starter is the QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2019, 03:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can actually understand this position.

The extra safety rules are needed to protect ALL players while the extra rules to protect the QBs are just about money.  The QBs are the stars.  They cost the most money.  They sell the most tickets.  Most teams can still be competitive if they just lose one starter unless that one starter is the QB.

Or AJ Green.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2019, 04:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Or AJ Green.

Yeah, right Green was the only starter we lost to injury.

Please stop with this silly stuff.  There are plenty of legit reasons to complain about the Bengals.  Why just make stuff up?
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2019, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: People who love the NFL for the injuries are sick.  Young men should not have to risk their health for your entertainment.  I watch the NFL for the great athletic plays, not the broken bones and brain injuries.

I never said I watched for the injuries. On your Fred agenda again I see. I would like to watch a sport that a key part of it is hitting other people to actually allow them to hit other people. If they want to play and know of the possible health risk and get big money for it play if not don't. But dont make a great sport that is by nature of the game violant a game of touch. So you don't eat crab because young me die every year fishing for them or that doesn't fit into your ***** fit for the day.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2019, 05:59 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I never said I watched for the injuries. On your Fred agenda again I see. I would like to watch a sport that a key part of it is hitting other people to actually allow them to hit other people. If they want to play and know of the possible health risk and get big money for it play if not don't. But dont make a great sport that is by nature of the game violant a game of touch. So you don't eat crab because young me die every year fishing for them or that doesn't fit into your ***** fit for the day.

If you think they have taken the hitting out of football then you have not been watching.

Every week multiple players go down with serious injuries and it is not from playing "touch" football.

The NFL is still ultra-violent even without the head shots.
Reply/Quote