Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The NRA in Disarray
Lots of news has been going on about the organization for awhile now. Today,t he news came out that NRATV will be no more.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/us/nra-nratv-ackerman-mcqueen.html

I'm hoping that it will get back to its roots, personally, but I'm not holding my breath.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I just wanted to point out that the thread title rhymes and might make a catchy bumper sticker.
DisNRAy?
(06-26-2019, 03:41 PM)Beaker Wrote: I just wanted to point out that the thread title rhymes and might make a catchy bumper sticker.

That may or may not have been intentional.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
But all those "2A" people?!?!   Ninja

All seriousness aside I can't believe this is happening given the current political climate.  Seriously.  They should be rolling in cash and support from the right.  Something weird is going on.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-26-2019, 05:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: But all those "2A" people?!?!   Ninja

All seriousness aside I can't believe this is happening given the current political climate.  Seriously.  They should be rolling in cash and support from the right.  Something weird is going on.

I don't think their finances are in near the poor shape that some are portraying.  The Ackerman McQueen split has been a known entity for quite some time.  Also, The NY state investigation is a blatantly unconstitutional strong arm by Cuomo to silence them as he is virulently anti-2A.  The certainly have some disarray in the upper echelons, but I doubt that lasts long.  I do agree with Bel, losing NRA TV is no loss and they need to concentrate on lobbying against the absurd gun laws cropping up in deep blue states on a monthly basis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEcbagW4O-s

NRA TV looks like it was a whole lot of fun.
(06-26-2019, 10:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEcbagW4O-s

NRA TV looks like it was a whole lot of fun.

I love Oliver's shows!

Back on topic the NRA has gone to become such an extreme group (leadership down) that the base might be just ignoring it.  I find it hard to believe as I said.  If 40% of voters still believe everything DJT says I'm sure there are enough NRA members to keep it solvent.  Maybe they need a leadership change and a good audit to straighten the ship.

FTR I've never been against the group...I'm against the politics of the leadership and the one minded way they play politics.  But I have the same problem with lots of groups.  The NRA just makes the most noise.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-27-2019, 08:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: I love Oliver's shows!

Back on topic the NRA has gone to become such an extreme group (leadership down) that the base might be just ignoring it.  I find it hard to believe as I said.  If 40% of voters still believe everything DJT says I'm sure there are enough NRA members to keep it solvent.  Maybe they need a leadership change and a good audit to straighten the ship.

FTR I've never been against the group...I'm against the politics of the leadership and the one minded way they play politics.  But I have the same problem with lots of groups.  The NRA just makes the most noise.

There are some prominent supporters that are distancing themselves from them right now. One YouTuber that is big in the firearms community, hickok45, recently said he would stop advocating for the NRA and working with them. He's still going to support their efforts because of gun rights, but the recent revelations have caused him and his son to back away.

There are also a lot of people that really hold their nose when dealing with them, preferring instead the GOA and 2AF because of their focus only on gun rights. The problem is that the NRA is still the biggest of the bunch so their efforts in lobbying are most effective, but their rolling over on the whole bump stock thing has some folks questioning them even more.

It's interesting to see happening. I doubt the normal rank and file members will care, though. Most members aren't actually paying attention to the issues out there, instead just absorbing what the NRA feeds them.

(06-27-2019, 09:16 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: There are some prominent supporters that are distancing themselves from them right now. One YouTuber that is big in the firearms community, hickok45, recently said he would stop advocating for the NRA and working with them. He's still going to support their efforts because of gun rights, but the recent revelations have caused him and his son to back away.

There are also a lot of people that really hold their nose when dealing with them, preferring instead the GOA and 2AF because of their focus only on gun rights. The problem is that the NRA is still the biggest of the bunch so their efforts in lobbying are most effective, but their rolling over on the whole bump stock thing has some folks questioning them even more.

It's interesting to see happening. I doubt the normal rank and file members will care, though. Most members aren't actually paying attention to the issues out there, instead just absorbing what the NRA feeds them.

The leadership certainly needs some housecleaning.  I agree also, the Second Amendment Foundation is my personal favorite, but as you say they lack the political clout of the NRA.  As for you last statement, this makes them no different from any other political entity in this country.
(06-27-2019, 09:26 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The leadership certainly needs some housecleaning.  I agree also, the Second Amendment Foundation is my personal favorite, but as you say they lack the political clout of the NRA.  As for you last statement, this makes them no different from any other political entity in this country.

Oh, I know. That's the sad thing in this country. Most people aren't willing to do any research on their own. They see an email or a headline from an organization they belong to and they take it at face value. I see an email from one of the number of conservation groups I get emails from and I'm going to look at the whole article, seeing the data behind their claims. But that's not most people.