Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The New "Ginger Genius"
(08-16-2019, 12:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Off topic.  When I coached little league, I once had a 9 year old player that could throw 70 mph.  As a coach, there's nothing quite like the first time you have a 9 y/o throw the ball to you, at 70 mph, from 15 feet away.  Catching that ball was more an act of self defense..   LOL

Especially if the ball has movement and if you are catching around dusk - with no mask, shin guards, etc.

Both of my sons pitched and I completely commiserate. I switched to sitting on a chair when catching for them. My older son had good control, but my younger son had a natural right to left movement that broke at different distances from me. Nightmare!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He looked good. Will be a good back up.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:47 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Especially if the ball has movement and if you are catching around dusk - with no mask, shin guards, etc.

Both of my sons pitched and I completely commiserate. I switched to sitting on a chair when catching for them. My older son had good control, but my younger son had a natural right to left movement that broke at different distances from me. Nightmare!

I was pitching batting practice, he was at short..  On another note, we had trouble finding a regular 1st baseman, because he threw so hard.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: His awareness has been very good for a rookie, he seems like a QB that will manage a game well (no, I am not labeling him a game manager, just one of the many attributes needed to excel at QB in the NFL), he seems fairly accurate, but has shown signs of missing some throws just off target or touch as you mentioned.

I think he is an upgrade at QB2 in 2019 over Driskel in 2018. But, I think he has a long way to go to be  better than AD is right now. Many  dismiss just how good AD is at managing the game, the blitzes and reading of coverages. AD needs to be more consistent and accurate too, but one thing is excellent is game management. Finley can be it appears, but not all the way to AD level as of yet.

Yep. Dalton is one of the best at reading defenses pre-snap. While he teaches Finley how to read defenses, maybe, Finley can give him tips on how to step up and step to the side to avoid pressure. Would make BOTH of them better.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I really like the progress Finley has made since everyone was poo pooing on him during OTAs ....kid looked good last night. Funny, a few weeks ago people were saying he should be cut, now people want him to start....lol. I would like to see him get some reps with the ones vs someone else's ones.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: I really like the progress Finley has made since everyone was poo pooing on him during OTAs ....kid looked good last night. Funny, a few weeks ago people were saying he should be cut, now people want him to start....lol. I would like to see him get some reps with the ones vs someone else's ones.

Hopefully he'll start game 4. Yeah probably not a lot of starters on either side then but still should give us a slightly better feel.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The kid has shown me there another way to avoid a sack that to get rid of the ball in a nanosecond. This kid stands tall in the pocket and seems to have a good feel for it. The arm doesn't appear to be the greatest but that may be easier to work on than the intangibles he appears to have.

Agreed.

A couple of points:

1) You want to see if the kid can keep it together emotionally. There was a point at mid field where he missed a throw and his eyes showed exhaustion. And that's fine. He will build on it, in time.

2) He seemed hesitant to take shots downfield. That is a combination of coaching direction on taking care of the ball and hesitancy on his part. Interestingly, Driskell showed willingness to do it.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 02:00 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Agreed.

A couple of points:

1) You want to see if the kid can keep it together emotionally. There was a point where at mid field where he missed a throw and his eyes showed exhaustion. And that's fine. He will build on it, in time.

2) He seemed hesitant to take shots downfield. That is a combination of coaching direction on taking care of the ball and hesitancy on his part. Interestingly, Driskell showed willingness to do it.

I don't think Driskel has a lot to lose at this point and he knows it.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 02:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think Driskel has a lot to lose at this point and he knows it.

I don't see him going anywhere.

Backups with regular season starting experience, who are relatively low cost, are a commodity.

I feel that Bengals are looking at various possibilities of keeping him. And we should.
Reply/Quote
I'll be honest: I'm holding out hope that Doleladygaga will get a shot with us and end up being an elite QB. Seriously.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 02:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'll be honest: I'm holding out hope that Doleladygaga will get a shot with us and end up being an elite QB. Seriously.

It's probably due to your infatuation with Lady Gaga.......in her meat dress.
Reply/Quote
The throw that impressed me was when he rolled out, saw a defender coming at him, and almost jumped to make the throw. Just kinda stretched himself out to get the ball over the defender's outstretched arms. Very smart. I think he showed promise. That's about as far as I'd go based on a preseason game against (some) guys who won't even be in the NFL.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 02:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'll be honest: I'm holding out hope that Doleladygaga will get a shot with us and end up being an elite QB. Seriously.
I think they are trying to sneak a 6 foot 7 inch 242 pound QB onto the practice squad so I do not think he is going to get a snap this preseason. Maybe in last game against guys that have no shot at making 53 man rosters but I really do not think they want film on this guy for other teams to see.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 11:15 AM)jason Wrote: I thought about sarcastically starting a thread last night just to be first... I knew it was coming.

It looks like we have a legit backup QB. That's as far as I'm willing to go right now.

Yep. A guy with good skills and a lot to work with and develop...but not better than the current #1. Head and shoulders better than the current/former #2. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The kid has shown me there another way to avoid a sack that to get rid of the ball in a nanosecond. This kid stands tall in the pocket and seems to have a good feel for it. The arm doesn't appear to be the greatest but that may be easier to work on than the intangibles he appears to have.

Seems like Dalton's arm strength got better after working with House. Don't know if it was technique, certain exercises or just maturity. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I would like to see Finley against the 1st stringers this week spilt time between him and Andy against the 1's we normally play our starters up to the 4th quarter in the 3rd preseason game if not longer. If Finley struggles against the 1st string guys it will give them tape and something to work on as he backs up Andy this year.

During the year if Andy has any of those games that he looks really bad in like he has in years past I hope they got the guts to put Finley in to finish the game. Not to take Andy's spot on a permanent basis but to light a fire under him like you would taking an offensive line guy out 1 or 2 drives if he is getting a lot of flags or playing poorly. Something we have missed around here for far too long.
Reply/Quote
Finley has looked good no doubt. He has also had something we have not seen for the past few seasons - an actual pocket he can move around in and be aware in. It doesn't lessen what he is doing it just shows the team aspect of football where better OL play lets the rookie develop better.
Reply/Quote

I think his shot may be on the practice squad which is OK with me, we need a project to develop who does not take a roster spot.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 02:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: Finley has looked good no doubt. He has also had something we have not seen for the past few seasons - an actual pocket he can move around in and be aware in. It doesn't lessen what he is doing it just shows the team aspect of football where better OL play lets the rookie develop better.

Finley does appear to have very good pocket awareness, something AD lacks at times.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You know who else had good pocket awareness and other qualities that supposedly meant he should get a chance with the 1s to see if he was better than Dalton? AJ frickin' McCarron.

You know who else looked really good in the preseason against 2nd and 3rd stringers? Jeff frickin' Driskel.

And look where they are now.

People need to calm down with Finley being the heir apparent to Dalton, let alone even being the starter this year. I like the dude and hope that if he ever does see the field during the regular season, he slings the ball like Tom Brady, but damn, some of you just need to take a cold shower or something. Sheesh.

It's never too late to make the same point 4-5 of your predecessors did; on the same page of the thread, no less. 

It's dedication and "want to" like this that makes me proud to be a member. We post hard. We post dumb, but we post hard.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote