Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The New "Ginger Genius"
(08-16-2019, 05:12 PM)Big Boss Wrote: He played well against the 2nd and 3rd stringers on a shitty Redskins team.  Forgive me if I'm not hopping up and down. 

You seem irritable.  Take a nap.

Most of the other drafted QBs have played against second and 3rd stringers too. 

Kyler Murray is the only one off the top of my head that has played against 1st string and he really **** the bed this week. Daniel Jones plays tonight but last week he played against second string with the first string offensive line in front of him. Haskins, Lock, and Grier are all second string...

Ryan Finley has looked very poised for a rookie QB no matter where he was taken in the draft. He looks promising but still needs development.

I wouldnt start Finley over Dalton that is silly to talk about right now but he is making me feel a little more comfortable about Dalton being in a contract year with no contract talks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 05:22 PM)Synric Wrote: Most of the other drafted QBs have played against second and 3rd stringers too. 

Kyler Murray is the only one off the top of my head that has played against 1st string and he really **** the bed this week. Daniel Jones plays tonight but last week he played against second string with the first string offensive line in front of him. Haskins, Lock, and Grier are all second string...

Ryan Finley has looked very poised for a rookie QB no matter where he was taken in the draft. He looks promising but still needs development.

I wouldnt start Finley over Dalton that is silly to talk about right now but he is making me feel a little more comfortable about Dalton being in a contract year with no contract talks.

And that's exactly what I said a few posts later.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 04:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: One thing I noticed about Finleys performance last night is that quite a few throws were a little late and behind the receivers. This was not by design either. Granted, they were catchable and our guys did a good job pulling them in, but will need to work on his timing a little.

True. His head is fine, now the body has to respond. Nervous feet and narrow base, on throws.

But he showed that he can manage a huddle, and grind.

(08-16-2019, 04:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Unfortunately, the only thing that can help with that issue, is more reps.  The pro game is much faster than the college game, as in those little windows to fit passes through close so much quicker in the NFL.  But, for a mid-round rookie prospect, I think he's doing just fine.  However, when the preseason is done, so might be his development for the year.

And that is the main point. Driskel got plenty of regular season exposure.

How does Finley get the same?

The hope obviously is that he doesn't. Unless he gets in during garbage time....just not sure if there will be games where we are up by 4 touchdowns with 5 minutes left. Unfortunately, the opposite may happen.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 04:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No they aren't .

Put your butthurt aside. I was talking about McCarron. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 05:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Put your butthurt aside. I was talking about McCarron. 

Yes, cold showers were definitely needed for anyone who ever thought McCarron was ready to supplant QB14.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then cold showers are definitely needed for anyone who thinks McCarron is ready to take over for Dalton this year.

I said....cold....showers....are....needed....for....anyone....that.....thinks....Finley....is.....ready....to.....unseat.....Dalton.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I said....cold....showers....are....needed....for....anyone....that.....thinks....Finley....is.....ready....to.....unseat.....Dalton.

I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but c'mon man.

(08-16-2019, 03:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not really. His skills are visually superior. That said, cold showers need to be taken if anyone thinks he's ready to step in and supplant QB14.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 05:12 PM)Big Boss Wrote: He played well against the 2nd and 3rd stringers on a shitty Redskins team.  Forgive me if I'm not hopping up and down. 

You seem irritable.  Take a nap.

How did the starter do against that shitty Redskins D? He had a passer rating of 25. See how that works? Your argument is hypocritical and the perfect example of the double standard fans have towards Dalton.

Finley has played very well against what he has played against both times out. Dalton has not..... yet again. Why do you not hold Dalton to as high a standard? Why do fans give him a pass? For 2015? For 2011? Lets move forward into 2019.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but c'mon man.

Try asking next time instead of assuming. Especially when there's no reason to believe the assumption.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:05 PM)PDub80 Wrote: How did the starter do against that shitty Redskins D? He had a passer rating of 25. See how that works? Your argument is hypocritical and the perfect example of the double standard fans have towards Dalton.

Finley has played very well against what he has played against both times out. Dalton has not..... yet again. Why do you not hold Dalton to as high a standard? Why do fans give him a pass? For 2015? For 2011? Lets move forward into 2019.

Once you wake up from your nap, check my second post in this very thread.

I'm not married to Dalton as our long-term QB.  I am perfectly fine having the discussion about replacing him in the next couple of years.  Frankly I welcome it.  But barring a season ending injury, he's our starter this year.  And that's going to keep Finley off the field, whether you like it or not.  We are not blind fanboys just because we perceive the reality in which we live.

Dalton played horribly, the entire first unit played horribly.  Having that many penalties is going to make it next to impossible to establish any sort of rhythm.  That's not making excuses.  That's recognizing and stating a basic truth.

Finley played well considering his level of competition.  I recognized that.  But he is our backup, and he played how I expect a backup to play - competently. I also harbor serious doubts that the future of our QB position is going to be taken up by a 4th rounder with well-documented issues with arm strength.  History is more against Finley in that regard than not.

I am of the opinion that our next starting QB is going to be a high draft pick.  It won't be Finley.  I have no problem giving him a shot, but that's my feeling. Save this post and feel free to gloat in two years' time if I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:41 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Honestly, he looked like what I would expect a backup QB to look like.  He made good throws, he looked poised in the pocket - but against #2s and #3s.  If your backup can't do that, then you have a problem (see Jeff Driskel).

Our QB of the future hasn't been drafted yet.  It won't be Finley.  Frankly, with how this team has looked thus far, I'm starting to wonder if even 6-10 is too optimistic.  Would not surprise me at all if this team was in prime position to draft one of the top 3 QBs next spring.

You're out of your mind.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:23 PM)McC Wrote: You're out of your mind.

In that I'm too optimistic or too pessimistic?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Try asking next time instead of assuming. Especially when there's no reason to believe the assumption.

You used "he" to mean two different people without any clue what you were talking about and the misunderstanding was my fault?

Not surprised.  That makes as much sense as most of the arguments you use against Andy.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You used "he" to mean two different people without any clue what you were talking about and the misunderstanding was my fault?

Not surprised.  That makes as much sense as most of the arguments you use against Andy.

Jesus dude, just accept the clarification and move on.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You used "he" to mean two different people without any clue what you were talking about and the misunderstanding was my fault?

Phil questioned McCarron and Diskell's skills. Never mentioned Dalton's skills once. Then referenced cold showers.

No one else misunderstood what i said. I replied to Phil. He never questioned it. No one else raised a question either way.

You assumed and you were wrong. Yes, it was your faul. Deal with it.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:25 PM)Big Boss Wrote: In that I'm too optimistic or too pessimistic?

When it comes to things that you have zero control over (and are not betting on) there is no such thing as "too optimistic".
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 03:16 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: It's never too late to make the same point 4-5 of your predecessors did; on the same page of the thread, no less. 

It's dedication and "want to" like this that makes me proud to be a member. We post hard. We post dumb, but we post hard.

You seem a little cranky and maybe a bit passive aggressive recently.  You doing okay?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You assumed and you were wrong. Yes, it was your faul. Deal with it.

So you are above the basic rules of grammar that everyone depends on to understand the meaning of our language?

Like I said, makes as much sense as most of the arguments you make against Andy.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you are above the basic rules of grammar that everyone depends on to understand the meaning of our language?

Like I said, makes as much sense as most of the arguments you make against Andy.

PDub is running around here bashing Dalton left and right. Why aren't you bothering him? 

I've never even said he was a bad QB. You just have this obsession about me and my thoughts on Dalton right now, for some reason.

I'd prefer you didn't get your boners from my posts.  Mellow

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 04:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: - Tough to find those snaps when the guy gifted the job for the 9th straight year gets all of the chances with the 1s.

- I think it's adorable how arrogant you are regarding your expectations of the rookie "backup", who has blown the doors off of any real world expectations and has played better than ANY OTHER ROOKIE QB DRAFTED IN 2019, while the starter looks like trash.

Okay.  I've said it once and I'll say it again.  Nobody is going to be given a job they don't deserve any more.  So you can simmer down on this running tirade for now.  If Dalton starts the season badly and isn't replaced, you can always pick it back up where you left off.`

Reply/Quote