Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The New "Ginger Genius"
Is this the thread where some dream that our backup QB will be better than Andy Dalton while others dream that Andy Dalton will be better than Andy Dalton?

Good luck with that on both counts.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 09:07 PM)HuDey Wrote: Is this the thread where some dream that our backup QB will be better than Andy Dalton while others dream that  Andy Dalton will be better than Andy Dalton?

Good luck with that on both counts.

I have done my fair share of Dalton bashing and AJMC hyping. 

Finley looks like he will give me reason to talk about our backup taking the starting job more than AJMC ever did. 

And Dalton looks jacked, is playing for a massive payday, has years of experience, and has the first offensive minded HC of his pro career. 

Honestly this just seems like a good deal all around for Bengal fans. More competition for the starting position and a lot on the line to perform well. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 11:50 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I have done my fair share of Dalton bashing and AJMC hyping. 

Finley looks like he will give me reason to talk about our backup taking the starting job more than AJMC ever did. 

And Dalton looks jacked, is playing for a massive payday, has years of experience, and has the first offensive minded HC of his pro career. 

Honestly this just seems like a good deal all around for Bengal fans. More competition for the starting position and a lot on the line to perform well. 

More talent just means it brings out the best in everyone involved.  Competition brings out the best in most players, and can help to elevate those around them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
AD plays better when being pushed by the #2.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 11:50 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I have done my fair share of Dalton bashing and AJMC hyping. 

We’ve seen enough of Dalton that it is hard to fault anyone for grasping at anything that shows even the slightest possibility of being an upgrade. I thought Finley looked really good and much better than I expected but I am going to need to see more before I can fully buy in. I want to see better leadership at the QB position, so let’s see if anyone steps up.
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor has stated from the get-go that the players who give the Bengals the best chance to win will start in Week One. As long as they are the best, I don't care what the lineup looks like.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 12:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Literally NOBODY ever pimped Jordan Palmer.

You have a bad memory. Jordan Palmer and Dan LeFevour were pimped for the entire 2010-2011 offseason. No one thought Andy would be ready, many didn't like the pick from jump, so Jordan and LeFevour developed quite a following on the boards.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 02:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You have a bad memory. Jordan Palmer and Dan LeFevour were pimped for the entire 2010-2011 offseason. No one thought Andy would be ready, many didn't like the pick from jump, so Jordan and LeFevour developed quite a following on the boards.

Yep

It's not like 1/2 the board wanted J Palmer out there but there were quite a few. Take Craig Krenzel back in 05 or whatever, several peeps were pimping him. I'm an Ohio St. nut and even I knew he wasn't NFL QB material. 

It's been said 1,000's of times and it rings true a lot. Backup QB is the most loved guy around.

Until he's not.
Reply/Quote
I remember most people thinking Jordan Palmer was a complete bum, who was only brought in to appease Carson. I’m mainly speaking about around town, and talking football outside of a MB though, as I wasn’t even lurking on these types of sites at that point.

If you’re telling me he had any significant amount of vocal backers, I’m glad I wasn’t around back then lol

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 04:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I remember most people thinking Jordan Palmer was a complete bum, who was only brought in to appease Carson. I’m mainly speaking about around town, and talking football outside of a MB though, as I wasn’t even lurking on these types of sites at that point.

If you’re telling me he had any significant amount of vocal backers, I’m glad I wasn’t around back then lol

Lefevour fever, catch it..   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 03:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

It's not like 1/2 the board wanted J Palmer out there but there were quite a few. Take Craig Krenzel back in 05 or whatever, several peeps were pimping him. I'm an Ohio St. nut and even I knew he wasn't NFL QB material. 

It's been said 1,000's of times and it rings true a lot. Backup QB is the most loved guy around.

Until he's not.

Yep, this is spot on. They are loved (most recent Driskel over AD in 2018), then he gets a shot and suddenly the coaches were correct, AD should have started in front of the back up.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 11:40 AM)SladeX Wrote: AD plays better when being pushed by the #2.

I don't think we've ever seen Dalton actually pushed by a #2, despite what the McCarron fanboys wanted to believed.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 04:53 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I don't think we've ever seen Dalton actually pushed by a #2, despite what the McCarron fanboys wanted to believed.

And I don't think Dalton is the lazy type that needs competition to motivate him to try harder.

A lot of people are claiming that competition is always a good thing, but that is not true.  Very few NFL teams tell their starting QB they have to win the job every season.  Competition keeps players from working on the weak part of their game because they are afraid it will make them look bad.  Think of a starting pitcher who is afraid to try a new pitch in spring training because if he gets hit he gets benched.  Competition can also lead to players pressing and taking too many chances.  They can develop bad habits.

Competition might help if the starter is lazy, but I don't think that is a problem with dalton.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 04:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I remember most people thinking Jordan Palmer was a complete bum, who was only brought in to appease Carson. I’m mainly speaking about around town, and talking football outside of a MB though, as I wasn’t even lurking on these types of sites at that point.

I was here and do not remember the Jordan Palmer bandwagon..

I did give him credit for organizing team practices during the lockout when Carson left him holding the bag. But I'm pretty sure no one (and that's no exaggeration) was penciling him in as our starter when Carson turned punk or ever called for him to start over Carson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 05:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was here and do not remember the Jordan Palmer bandwagon..

I did give him credit for organizing team practices during the lockout when Carson left him holding the bag. But I'm pretty sure no one (and that's no exaggeration) was penciling him in as our starter when Carson turned punk or ever called for him to start over Carson

It wasn't like there was a hundred people on the board beating pots and pans together chanting, Jordan, Jordan ! Or all that many saying he's a stud and is the surefire next big thing.

But there were quite a few saying he's a Palmer he has to be good. I saw him play blah, blah and so on. I don't think it ever reached a Palmer bandwagon level but there were quite a few posts including his name.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 04:53 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I don't think we've ever seen Dalton actually pushed by a #2, despite what the McCarron fanboys wanted to believed.

AD had a fire in his eyes that year he didn't have before, and an intensity. Something lit a fire under his butt. Maybe Hue challenged him. 
The only thing i ever said about AJM was don't write him off just because he was drafted in the 5th round.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I don't think Dalton is the lazy type that needs competition to motivate him to try harder.

A lot of people are claiming that competition is always a good thing, but that is not true.  Very few NFL teams tell their starting QB they have to win the job every season.  Competition keeps players from working on the weak part of their game because they are afraid it will make them look bad.  Think of a starting pitcher who is afraid to try a new pitch in spring training because if he gets hit he gets benched.  Competition can also lead to players pressing and taking too many chances.  They can develop bad habits.

Competition might help if the starter is lazy, but I don't think that is a problem with dalton.

People who are not lazy can still benefit from competition. I reject that statement entirely. 
And your QB better not be shaken by some added pressure. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote

Agreed, he was here for one reason and thats for his brother..........I honestly remember no one calling for Jordan Palmer to be a starter

He was the laughing stock of the league and paid only to hold his brothers clip board
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Andy isn't lazy, he just seems like a good old fashioned family man who doesn't dedicate an extraordinary amount of time to his craft. I could be wrong and he's just at the limit of his potential, which "isn't good enough".
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 08:43 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Andy isn't lazy, he just seems like a good old fashioned family man who doesn't dedicate an extraordinary amount of time to his craft. I could be wrong and he's just at the limit of his potential, which "isn't good enough".

I don’t see Dalton as lazy and it seems to me that he puts plenty of time in working on his craft. He is who he is at this point and we should expect more of the same in 2019. He has never been pushed for his starting job and I would be shocked to see it happen this year. It will be very interesting to see how the QB position shakes out in the next couple of years.
Reply/Quote