Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Next Few Months From Start To Finish
Trade

AJ McCarron will be a starting QB in the state of Ohio next season… but it will be in Cleveland.  The Bengals trade McCarron and their 4th round pick for the Browns 2nd and 4th round picks this year.  So this is what the trade would look like.

Browns Get:
McCarron
Bengals 4th round pick

Bengals Get:
Browns 2nd round pick
Browns 4th round pick

Free Agency

Re-Sign:
Adam Jones
Mo Sanu
George Iloka
Brandon Thompson (PUP Status)
Pat Sims
Wallace Gilberry
Leon Hall

Let Walk:
Reggie Nelson
Emmanuel Lamur
Andre Smith
Eric Winston
Brandon Tate
Marvin Jones
TJ Johnson
Vinny Rey

Outside Signings:
Mark Barron
Brandon Boykin

Draft

1st Round
Jaylon Smith – LB – Notre Dame – 6’2” 235 lbs.

[Image: Notre-Dame-Vs-Stanford-Live-Online-Strea...70x413.jpg]

Jaylon Smith gives us the best LB prospect in this draft.  Without injury there is no way he would have fallen to us late in the first… but lucky for us he is here for the taking.  Smith gives us a well rounded, prototypical LB to play with Burfict long term. 

2nd Round
Kenny Clark – DT – UCLA – 6’3” 310 lbs.

[Image: 580x326]

Clark is an impactful, run stuffing defender.  However he can also produce a pass rush when needed.  With 75 tackles, 11 TFL and 6 sacks last season, we are getting the strong DT to play with Atkins.

2nd Round
Will Fuller – WR – Notre Dame – 6’0” 184 lbs.

[Image: Tavon+Young+Will+Fuller+Notre+Dame+v+Tem...ySTnpl.jpg]

Fuller is probably the best WR in this draft when it comes to stretching a defense.  He has the ability to take the top off, opening up underneath/seam routes for Sanu and Eifert.  He would be the perfect complement to Green and the rest of the crew.  Someone is going to throw big (#1) money at Jones this FA, this is the best option to replace him.

3rd  Round
Jalen Mills – S/CB – LSU – 6’0” 194 lbs.

[Image: jalen+mills.jpg]

Mills gives us the type of player needed to replace Nelson long term.  With Iloka and Williams both back, it gives Mills the time necessary to learn the defense and grow as an NFL safety.  He is extremely athletic and versatile. In college he played both safety and corner, showing he has the ability to be a playmaker on the back end and play in coverage.

4th  Round
Maliek Collins – DT – Nebraska – 6’2” 300 lbs.

[Image: maliek-collins.jpg]

Maliek Collins is a first round talent on a less than stellar Nebraska defense.  If Collins would have put his name in the 2015 draft, he very well could have been taken as a first or second round pick.  However, because he had a decline in production this year, we get a player with immense potential in the top of the fourth.

5th round
Kei’Varae Russell – CB – Notre Dame - 5’11” 190 lbs.

[Image: 512x.jpg]

Russell, much like Collins, would have been a steal in the second or third last year, let alone the fifth.  His lack of production really hurt his stock.  He has some work to do to be ready for the NFL, but with our group of CBs around him, I am confident he can grow.

6th Round
Cody Kessler – QB – USC – 6’1” 210 lbs.

[Image: cody-kessler-2355a3e1bc9244d6.jpg]

Dalton 3.0 (McCarron was Dalton 2.0).  Kessler is almost a carbon copy of our Red Rifle.  I am confident that Kessler can be the backup QB of this team for a number of years.

7th Round
Kyle Friend – C – Temple – 6’2” 305 lbs.

[Image: open-uri20140920-11242-12as72k?1411237221000]

Bodine was the weak link on an otherwise great Oline.  A lot of people are wanting an early round center, but Friend late in the draft gives us the best C prospect in this draft.  Watch his film, the man was highly impressive in every game he played this year and last.  Excited for this guy!

C12Schleyer

[Image: 175fb1ebe161ecda7fb32824e3682755.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind this offseason Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
The only reason i would not like this drafts is...

I cannot think of why i would not like this draft.

Doubt Friend lasts until the 7th round, highly doubt it. But damn, i would would love this draft. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:The only reason i would not like this drafts is...

I cannot think of why i would not like this draft.

Doubt Friend lasts until the 7th round, highly doubt it. But damn, i would would love this draft. Rock On

I could see Friend going anywhere form the 5-7.  I wouldn't mind taking him as early as the 5th, and taking a guy like Kevin Peterson from OK State later in the draft at CB.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:54 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: I could see Friend going anywhere form the 5-7.  I wouldn't mind taking him as early as the 5th, and taking a guy like Kevin Peterson from OK State later in the draft at CB.

Sounds good to me. We just need a guy that has some upside at Center.

From what i have seen of Bodine, he doesn't have much. Center is our biggest hole IMHO. Friend definately helps.

I watched a bit of Peterson at OKSU, looked good from what i saw...
Reply/Quote
Switch it to where we re resign Marvin Jones instead of Sanu and I'd be okay with this. Solid pick ups.
[Image: sig_zpsweeg0dtn.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2016, 02:08 AM)nkydiesel88 Wrote: Switch it to where we re resign Marvin Jones instead of Sanu and I'd be okay with this. Solid pick ups.

I doubt we bring back MLJ now. He wants #1 money and i think someone will pay him it.

We won't. Bringing back Mo is much more realistic. Sucks, but it is what it is.

I know Fuller would only be a rookie but he could be very good. We would still have Green, Eifert, Sanu, Wright, Fuller and Alford.

Not terrible.
Reply/Quote
nkydiesel88 Wrote:Switch it to where we re resign Marvin Jones instead of Sanu and I'd be okay with this. Solid pick ups.

Would you rather have Jones and Sanu or Green and Sanu?  Because if we give Jones the money he wants there is no way he can sign Green long term as well. Sanu is the only logical resigning from a dollars stand point this offseason.  That being said, if Jones decides to take a discount to give the team a discount to stay at home, maybe we can keep both.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 11:26 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: Would you rather have Jones and Sanu or Green and Sanu?  Because if we give Jones the money he wants there is no way he can sign Green long term as well. Sanu is the only logical resigning from a dollars stand point this offseason.  That being said, if Jones decides to take a discount to give the team a discount to stay at home, maybe we can keep both.

I'm a bit confused by this since AJ Green is now under contract through the 2019 season.

The Bengals could still sign MLJ to a 3-4 year contract and AJ Green will still be under contract through the next four years.

However, I think if MLJ wants to be a WR1, his best chances to do so are LA Rams, Cleveland Browns, or Tennessee Titans. It's not with the Bengals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2016, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I doubt we bring back MLJ now. He wants #1 money and i think someone will pay him it.

We won't. Bringing back Mo is much more realistic. Sucks, but it is what it is.

I know Fuller would only be a rookie but he could be very good. We would still have Green, Eifert, Sanu, Wright, Fuller and Alford.

Not terrible.

No "hometown discount" is not synonymous with #1 wr money.

But, if thrown a lot of money, it may be hard to keep him.
Reply/Quote
ochocincos Wrote:I'm a bit confused by this since AJ Green is now under contract through the 2019 season.

The Bengals could still sign MLJ to a 3-4 year contract and AJ Green will still be under contract through the next four years.

However, I think if MLJ wants to be a WR1, his best chances to do so are LA Rams, Cleveland Browns, or Tennessee Titans. It's not with the Bengals.

My phrasing was poor with my last post, I meant there is no way to sign Green to the #1 money he has now and sign another receiver requesting #1 money also. Definitely not on a long term basis.  MLJ seems to want to play as the #1 WR, and we can't offer him that role or comparable money.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:14 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: My phrasing was poor with my last post, I meant there is no way to sign Green to the #1 money he has now and sign another receiver requesting #1 money also. Definitely not on a long term basis.  MLJ seems to want to play as the #1 WR, and we can't offer him that role or comparable money.

In terms of the role, absolutely right. However, the Cincinnati Enquirer said MLJ is seeking a deal of $7 million per year.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/5/10922544/marvin-jones-not-offering-bengals-hometown-discount-wants-7-million
That's not anywhere close to the money AJ Green is making.

$7 million is right in line with high WR2 money.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
ochocincos Wrote:In terms of the role, absolutely right. However, the Cincinnati Enquirer said MLJ is seeking a deal of $7 million per year.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/5/10922544/marvin-jones-not-offering-bengals-hometown-discount-wants-7-million
That's not anywhere close to the money AJ Green is making.

$7 million is right in line with high WR2 money.

Even so, does it make sense to pay MLJ that kind of money when we have another needs we can spend 7 mil on and address.  For example, in my scenario, you can save yourself the 7 mil it would be to re-sign MLJ and reallocate that money to signing a guy like Barron for half the cost (if not less), a young promising corner, and a vet OT that is better than Winston to back up Ogbuehi and Fisher on the depth chart.  You could likely get all three players for 7 mil a year and then draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd that gives you the same dynamic in the passing game that MLJ does...  for considerably cheaper.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:39 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: Even so, does it make sense to pay MLJ that kind of money when we have another needs we can spend 7 mil on and address.  For example, in my scenario, you can save yourself the 7 mil it would be to re-sign MLJ and reallocate that money to signing a guy like Barron for half the cost (if not less), a young promising corner, and a vet OT that is better than Winston to back up Ogbuehi and Fisher on the depth chart.  You could likely get all three players for 7 mil a year and then draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd that gives you the same dynamic in the passing game that MLJ does...  for considerably cheaper.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was merely trying to point out what's been stated in the media.

I don't think MLJ will see $7 mill a year offer from the Bengals anyway considering the other FAs that need to be signed. I think they follow their typical path and sign some bargain FAs and have another solid draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
ochocincos Wrote:I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was merely trying to point out what's been stated in the media.

I don't think MLJ will see $7 mill a year offer from the Bengals anyway considering the other FAs that need to be signed. I think they follow their typical path and sign some bargain FAs and have another solid draft.

I didn't think that you were disagreeing. I just wanted to elaborate on my view on how things could go.  I think that between MLJ and Sanu the team may be willing to pay up to 8 mil a year, possibly a 5/3 or 5.5/2.5 split, I am not sure.  But if it takes more than that, they will walk away and just sign the reasonable contract that Sanu would be interested in.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
Would be stupid to take two DTs in the first four picks, even if we do run a rotation, just because we have other needs. I also think waiting that late for a center is foolish.

I'd take out Collins in the fourth and draft Boehm, Glasgow, or Tuerk at center.

Otherwise, nice mock ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:14 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: My phrasing was poor with my last post, I meant there is no way to sign Green to the #1 money he has now and sign another receiver requesting #1 money also. Definitely not on a long term basis.  MLJ seems to want to play as the #1 WR, and we can't offer him that role or comparable money.

Explain to me why we can't.  We have a ton of money under the cap and could structure a front loaded deal that would make Jones' salary average or below average for most of his deal.  That's how the Bengals generally keep their guys.

I see no reason why you can't sign him.  At this point in the team's "life cycle" you need to have him back to make a run next year.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:45 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: I didn't think that you were disagreeing. I just wanted to elaborate on my view on how things could go.  I think that between MLJ and Sanu the team may be willing to pay up to 8 mil a year, possibly a 5/3 or 5.5/2.5 split, I am not sure.  But if it takes more than that, they will walk away and just sign the reasonable contract that Sanu would be interested in.

Considering that they haven't taken the cheap route in quite some time, the more likely scenario is that the team signs Jones and lets Sanu walk.  
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 05:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Would be stupid to take two DTs in the first four picks, even if we do run a rotation, just because we have other needs.  I also think waiting that late for a center is foolish.  

I'd take out Collins in the fourth and draft Boehm, Glasgow, or Tuerk at center.

Otherwise, nice mock  ThumbsUp

Go back and watch film, Friend is the most impressive center in this draft.  He is a balanced center with strength in the run game, and quick feet for pass blocking.  He uses his hands extremely well, and keeps defenders at arms length.

As for two DTs.  I foresee a very good chance of letting 3 DTs go this FA.  Peko is declining and getting old, Thompson is ouchie, and Sims did not give us the push we expected.  Taking two strong DTs in the draft gives us two capable (cheaper) options in both the short and long term.  

This is not a team with many needs, and based on recent history... I could definitely see the front office taking two DTs to revamp the Dline.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Considering that they haven't taken the cheap route in quite some time, the more likely scenario is that the team signs Jones and lets Sanu walk.  

Why pay MLJ that kind of money when you can spread it out more evenly across other positions of need?  Re-signing Sanu, drafting a player like Fuller or Boyd, and using the extra money to sign a FA in a position of need makes more sense... in my opinion

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote