Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reply/Quote
Perhaps the problem is Jimbo? Didn't he inherit a staff?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Best of luck with your new coach. A program like Fla. St. won't stay down for long.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2017, 11:39 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Well, so long Jimbo and thanks for the 2013 championship. Please take your DC and Oline coach with you please.

Willie Taggart, come on down!

I'm excited to see what the Taggart era brings.  I remember when Willie was the QB for WKU, and they came in and stunned UK at Commonwealth Stadium.  He has done wonders wherever he has gone.....glad to see he kept Odell Haggins on the staff too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 04:06 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I love that he grew up a Noles fan and he is already keeping tradition in place. I hope he does well and he’s our next Bowden and coaches FSU for the next 30 years.

Amen, I loved that about him too.  Willie is a gamer, be it playing, or coaching.  This was the hire I wanted as soon as Jimbo announced he was leaving.  He has A LOT of S. Fla. ties, so recruiting may get even better.  I'm pretty excited with the hire.....now if we could just get the Bengals to follow suit. :andy:

Reply/Quote
Also, good to know there is a fellow Nole on this board!  I have a Chief Osceola pendant I have worn since grade school around my neck.  Go Noles!

(there is one other one, but he doesn't post as much, can't remember his name right off).

Reply/Quote
Just got a notification on my phone that Willie is exploring the idea of adding one PrimeTime Neon Deion Sanders to the coaching staff.  Whoa Nelly!

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 05:45 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Yeah, but can he coach? I like having former players around the team, just not sure about giving a coaching job to a 50 something year old that’s never coached before. He seemed pretty excited about and we do need better secondary coaching. Kelly has been terrible.

Did you see the Willie T. Interview during the first half? When asked about offensive changes, he said we won’t see a huddle ever again Hilarious

I dunno if he can or not...but he would at least be a good guy to have around advising and critiquing DBs I would think.

No....unfortunately I was at work and only caught the 2nd half.  Willie doesn't huddle much, and he uses every square inch of the football field.  Look for a lot of wide sets....unstacking the box and lots of action.

I've been really impressed with Odell in his interim HC period.  He made it about the kids and the coaches that stuck it out, and they have played inspired, FSU football the last 2 games. He did a very admirable job, and said all the right things. Really glad Willie is keeping him.  Dude makes me want to suit up, and I haven't been in pads in over 20 years.....lol.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 08:48 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think adviser/consultant during spring/summer would be the best role for somebody like Primetime. I’d be worried his larger than life personality would distract too many players during the season.

Probably so, and maybe that's what Willie is thinking of doing......along with adding star power to aid in recruiting.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:59 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Some nice updates in this article.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2017/12/28/decisions-looming-willie-taggart-florida-state-players/986815001/

My favorite part:

Defensive coordinator Charles Kelly, wide receivers coach Lawrence Dawsey, offensive line coach Rick Trickett, defensive ends coach Brad Lawing, and linebackers coach Bill Miller will not return next season.

Damn!  Love that, and love those candidates!

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:18 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: He’ll yeah, getting some more former players that have great coaching experience. I’m probably looking forward to the Oline coach change the most. I’m tired of getting 4 and 5 star recruits that never get better and I’m tired of terrible guys getting starts just because they are more senior. I’m looking at you Alec Eberle.

Yes sir.....kinda like watching Alexander and his shit show in Cincy.  The line has been our achilles for at least a couple years now.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 02:00 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Well we got a DC. Harlon Barnett from Michigan State. Guy wasn’t even on my radar, but I think he’s going to be a good hire and should bring some aggressiveness and good DB play back, that was missing under Kelly.

I haven't kept up with MSU in years......we definitely need some aggression back.....how have his units fared?

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:28 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: MSU defense was ranked 7th in yards/gm this past season. It’s his alma mater and he’s been with Dantoni since 2004. It’s odd he’d want to move on.  Either he’s tight with Taggart or he sees this as a faster route to a HC job.

Welp, that sounds pretty damn good to me.  I have no idea if he's got ties with Willie or not.  He may be doing the latter, or he may want the challenge, and a shot at a trophy.  Who knows, but if he's good, a couple year rental won't be so bad.

Reply/Quote
http://statenews.com/article/2018/01/assistant-coach-mayk-snyder-following-harlon-barnett-to-fsu

Don't know anything about him, just seen this when looking up Barnett
Reply/Quote
Taggert will do well there for sure.

Great hire !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 01:01 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Here’s the complete list. All positions are filled. I love that the staff has a good mix of young and old coaches and all are great recruiters. Little disappointed more former players weren’t hired.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22156799/willie-taggart-florida-state-announces-five-new-hires-complete-staff

Some interesting choices there......not sure on the Maryland OC?  I only watched one or two of their games.  I would have liked some former Noles as well.

(01-20-2018, 02:09 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Taggert will do well there for sure.

Great hire !

I was stoked we got him.....he was my pick all the way.  Go Cards! (until you play us. Smirk )

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2018, 06:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Flipped a 4-Star LB recruit from Kentucky and stole a 4-Star DE from Miami. Good recruiting weekend.

Hell yeah!  Go Willie!

Reply/Quote
Was just given a Florida State hat that I love except for it not being a Cardinal hat.

So doubt it will ever get worn. It is a Nike Heritage 86 dry-fit hat. Swore when handed to me that the child size looking hat would never fit my big head. Yet it fit very nicely with a low profile like my old butt likes.

Although did go to multiple Florida State football games in the 1970's per my father wanting me to watch Bobby Bowdens teams play. Stating, watch everything about him because he is the next greatest thing in coaching.

Of course they would crush my Cardinals every time back then.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 12:31 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Was just given a Florida State hat that I love except for it not being a Cardinal hat.

So doubt it will ever get worn. It is a Nike Heritage 86 dry-fit hat. Swore when handed to me that the child size looking hat would never fit my big head. Yet it fit very nicely with a low profile like my old butt likes.

Although did go to multiple Florida State football games in the 1970's per my father wanting me to watch Bobby Bowdens teams play. Stating, watch everything about him because he is the next greatest thing in coaching.  

Of course they would crush my Cardinals every time back then.

Send 'er on this way! LOL 

Jealous you got to see Bobby in his beginnings.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 12:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: Send 'er on this way! LOL 

Jealous you got to see Bobby in his beginnings.

Would but my brother-in-law got it for me so will keep it out of appreciation to him. He is an international pilot and knows nothing about sports. 

He just knows that I am a baseball fan and wear a lot of baseball hats. They are actually Bengals, Reds, and Louisville Cardinal baseball, football, and basketball. 

But he cares so little about sports everything is a baseball hat and he has no idea about logos. Makes it awkward and funny when he gives things that are not my teams apparel.   

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote