Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(08-27-2019, 10:31 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: He's up to 195lbs, big improvement from his 165lbs as a freshman.

I think just swapping out Eberle for Johnson will do wonders for the interior pocket. Johnson will not get pushed back as easily as Eberle did.

I agree, and 30 pounds....wow. He's really bulked up. That makes me feel better for him. With our oline, he had me worried for him back there!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 05:05 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Well that was disappointing. Taggart continues to remind me of Marvin Lewis. Takes the foot off the gas and goes conservative when having a lead.

Yeah....was watching the first half on the ESPN app, down in SC for the Southern 500 this weekend. I was kinda upset I was missing the game while I was with the kids on the beach. When I got back to the condo and saw the score/highlights, I was glad I missed it. No cussing and ranting and raving....SMH. What the hell happened to the offense? They were en fuego in the first half!

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 11:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The blocking got worse for sure and it looked like they just went conservative. Lots of inside handoffs and swing passes. Boise did a good job of taking deep throws to Terry out of the game with a constant safety over the top and Briles/Blackman looked completely lost at what to do without that play to go to when in trouble. Also, the running game was completely shutdown in the second half. The defense just got exhausted, lots of cramping after plays, oddly all by FSU. Boise looked to hold up better in the heat than the home team.

I wondered, Blackman's stats in 2nd half were like an option team.

Reply/Quote
Jeez, I wish Howell would have stayed.... Blackman looks like shit. Thank heavens for Cam Akers, or this team would be unwatchable.

Reply/Quote
Damn Howell kid looks good....too bad it's in powder blue.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 11:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: Damn Howell kid looks good....too bad it's in powder blue.

Relax, it could be worse.  For example, if you were a Kansas fan, you might have been thinking that Les Miles was coming to resurrect the football program.  Instead, he led the Jayhawks to a home loss versus the vaunted Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.  The very same program that produced the All-Time Bengal fan favorite, Jerome Simpson. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 12:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Relax, it could be worse.  For example, if you were a Kansas fan, you might have been thinking that Les Miles was coming to resurrect the football program.  Instead, he led the Jayhawks to a home loss versus the vaunted Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.  The very same program that produced the All-Time Bengal fan favorite, Jerome Simpson. 

IDK Sunset....this kid is a true freshman, and has led two straight 4th qtr comebacks, UNC is 2-0. They haven't exactly played slouches either, Miami and South Carolina. He was on our campus, he verbally committed to FSU. Then Mack Brown talks him into staying at Chapel Hill. We only beat Louisiana Monroe in OT because they missed an XP. In our house. Stings pretty bad!

Reply/Quote
Hey! We completed a game and got a W!

Reply/Quote
Big test Saturday ol buddy. I'm not expecting a win, but I'd like to keep it within 3 scores. What you thinking?

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 04:36 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The defense has improved since Leavitz got here, but Clemson has soooo much talent right now. I’d be happy if it’s still a game at the start of the 4th and not a complete blowout by halftime.

My thoughts as well. I'd also add that some of the foolish penalties have been cleaned up, and the team seems to be getting better, conditioning wise. Also, I liked how Briles finally decided to slow it up at times against NCSt. I'm finally seeing some improvements here. Liked how what's his name LOL got the ball to playmakers in stride. Nice touch on the deep ball to Wilson too.

Oh, and just give Cam Akers the damn ball!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 05:59 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Taggart did say both QB’s will play at times. I’ve never liked that approach, “if you have two QB’s, then you don’t actually have one”

Minshew returned to practice this week, so that’s some o-line reinforcement coming, but probably not for this game.

I don't like that approach either, but then again, he said Blackman would play against the Wolfpack right up until the start of the game. I say roll with Hornibrook.

I'm starting to think this team might win 7 games.

Reply/Quote
I just saw that FSU showed Taggert the door. I guess y'all will be having plenty to talk about this week.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 07:56 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Now I’ll have to start paying attention to top coordinators and best HC from lower levels. Not really sure what this team needs.  At least they’ll have first choice, being the first power 5 school to fire a HC this season.

Early favorites:
Venables
Stoops
Fleck

Might give Luke Fickell a look.  He's got Univ. of Cincinnati turned around.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 07:56 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Now I’ll have to start paying attention to top coordinators and best HC from lower levels. Not really sure what this team needs.  At least they’ll have first choice, being the first power 5 school to fire a HC this season.

Early favorites:
Venables
Stoops
Fleck

I imagine it'll be tough sledding when you only gave Willie 1.5 yrs to turn around a program that heading for the toilet when he got here. 

I'm afraid we're in for tough times unless we could get Stoops or someone at least of that caliber.

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2019, 12:17 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The first rumor I’ve read, is they want somebody with a track record of winning. Which tells me, it won’t be any of the young up and coming coaches from smaller programs.

That's a start, if they can make that happen. 

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2019, 03:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Just read Lane Kiffin is interested. He would be the one retread that I absolutely don’t want. His programs always implode because he offers zero discipline or accountability.

After thinking about it for a day and seeing what’s out there, I think the school needs to do everything it can to bring in one of the Stoops brothers, preferably Bob.

Yep, couldn't agree more....and I don't really want Urban Meyer either. He seems to have health issues every time a controversy begins to smolder.....

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 05:39 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Rumors flying hot and heavy. A couple of local Florida stations, one tv and one radio, are saying their sources say Bob Stoops is top choice and there is mutual interest and a deal could be done by the end of the week.

The AD Coburn shot down these rumors in a general way and said nothing is imminent. Man would I be excited if FSU holds a presser on Monday to announce Stoops hiring.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2019/11/05/rumors-rumor-fsu-florida-state-football-coach-bob-stoops-david-coburn-bob-stoops-willie-taggart/4164087002/

Yep, I was just reading all of that before I came here. That would definitely make a person sit up and take notice. I sure wouldn't hate it.....

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 02:06 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: And the hits keep coming. Marvin Wilson our for rest of season due to hand surgery. Pretty good chance he’s played his last college game and FSU wasted having his incredible talent for the past three years.

Man.... between the Noles and the Bengals, it's been pretty rough on us the last few years hasn't it? I saw a crazy rumor about Deion Sanders being considered for HC, I love Prime, but jeez I hope that's just a rumor.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 02:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So the new coach is hired. Not sure how I feel about Norvell, pretty neutral at this point.

Already announced Haggins is staying and he’s bringing in a new OC from Auburn. Guess that means Briles is out at OC and Clement will probably go with him.

Watched the rematch game of Memphis v. Cincy just to get a feel for his offensive style. A couple of interesting things I noticed:
1) no penalties
2) shotgun formation always had a RB and WR in backfield with QB

I've done a little reading on him. He seems to get his coordinators poached quite frequently, but just goes out and reloads. If I'm not mistaken, the Auburn OC is a former assistant of his. He's got former assistants in coordinator positions at ND, UGA, AU, and another power 5 school.

They've had the number 3 special teams, one of the top offenses in the country, and their defense has steadily improved. While not the splash hire most wanted, the hope here is that you've corralled the hottest up and comer and he turns this around. 

That said, he's going to need more than 1.5 years to get the ship righted.

Reply/Quote
Norvell is already piling up recruits. Flipped Tate Rodemaker from USF. They're hoping that Tate can get his 4 star HS WR into the fold, Bell. They currently have another 4 star WR, and a 4 star RB on campus. Both supposed to commit. They also have another 4 star QB in their sights hoping to flip him from Louisville. In the ACC the Noles can be relevant again and very quickly!
Reply/Quote