Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The O Line looked OK Preseason Game One
As Anthony Munoz, and Bob Johnson mentioned, and they should know something about O Line. They said it is early, too early to tell, certainly the major area of team needing to improve, but in Preseason Game One they did OK.. Quarterbacks and Running Backs didn't get exploded on the snap of the ball. There were running lanes. There were passing lanes. There was pass protection. No blocked kicks that I remember, Not even a lot of Offensive Line penalties of illegal formation or moving before the snap that you would expect to see in Preseason Game One. Things got sloppy in the 4th quarter. but that's to be expected. Many of those 4th quarter guys in Preseason One won't make the team as usual.

Now, lets see them follow up with an OK game against a tough Kansas City Chiefs Defense. With all the threads knocking the O Line, and I've done my share this off season, we do have to give them credit for looking OK against Tampa Bay. As Munoz and others said, it's too early to tell, but lets give the O Line credit so far. I did not see QBs and RB's getting their rear ends handed to them as I expected. Oh, in the 4th quarter they did, but you expect that in 4th quarter of preseason with the scrubs in.

Also mentioned in game by Munoz and announcers is keys to winning are AJ Green being healthy. We can include Dalton and Eifert. Without them, the team will struggle. With them, the team will look like the team that started 8-0 just 24 months ago. IF the O Line can block like it did against Tampa, that will be good enough for Dalton to get the ball to Green and Eifert with LaFell, Boyd, Core, Ross, Malone, Hill, Bernard, Mixon, Carson in the mix.....IF the O Line can just give enough time for Dalton to run the plays, The Bengals become a Power House.

Compared to preseason games I have seen O Line let Ki Jana Carter get blown up or Carson Palmer get his nose broke and blown up, The Bengals O Line the other night didn't let anybody get blown up like that. I have seen worse Bengals O Lines in preseason. I'm hoping they continue to not let our QB get blown up, which is the # 1 job of any team, as in The Longest Yard Movie, " Protect The Super Star ".
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Saw what i wanted to see and Hopkins was really impressive at RG.

Really liking our Guard play. Boling is a stud already and is 100% and maulin'. Cool
Reply/Quote
It's encouraging that the line played well.

I just don't think you'd see them look terrible in the preseason. It's not like the opposing coach is going to devise a game plan to attack Ced or Bodine. Teams kind of vanilla things down to see how their guys respond.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Saw what i wanted to see and Hopkins was really impressive at RG.

Really liking our Guard play. Boling is a stud already and is 100% and maulin'. Cool

If Hopkins turns out to be the starting RG and does well, I might (keyword = might) have to give Paul Alexander a little credit...maybe.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Hopkins turns out to be the starting RG and does well, I might (keyword = might) have to give Paul Alexander a little credit...maybe.

I would give him credit...

Then show him the door and bring in Big Willie. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's encouraging that the line played well.

I just don't think you'd see them look terrible in the preseason. It's not like the opposing coach is going to devise a game plan to attack Ced or Bodine. Teams kind of vanilla things down to see how their guys respond.

The 1990's Bengals and the 2008 Bengals looked just AWFUL in preseason getting Ki-Jana killed, getting Carson Palmer killed.  Watching that in preseasons past and those teams had 4 or 3 win seasons.  Sad to say, I have seen some just awful Bengals O Lines in preseasons past.  I did not see QB's and RB's getting blown up on snap of the ball Friday Night.  Of course it is early. I'm hoping they PROTECT THE SUPER STAR again against the Chiefs this weekend.  Burt Reynolds movie is simple but correct, from pee wee on up, the key is PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK. Do that and you win. Don't and you lose. As good as Peyton Manning was, that Super Bowl Seattle had him on his backside all game, they didn't protect the Super Star and lost.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:56 PM)kevin Wrote: The 1990's Bengals and the 2008 Bengals looked just AWFUL in preseason getting Ki-Jana killed, getting Carson Palmer killed.  Watching that in preseasons past and those teams had 4 or 3 win seasons.  Sad to say, I have seen some just awful Bengals O Lines in preseasons past.  I did not see QB's and RB's getting blown up on snap of the ball Friday Night.  Of course it is early. I'm hoping they PROTECT THE SUPER STAR again against the Chiefs this weekend. 

You can definately get some big hints.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Saw what i wanted to see and Hopkins was really impressive at RG.

Number 66 looks pretty good, and O-Line had a few bad plays...But looked better than I thought

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
That was a decent D line they played. Remember they have arguably one of the best DT's across the line from them in Gerald McCoy, and it was Hopkins who handled him most the night.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 04:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: That was a decent D line they played. Remember they have arguably one of the best DT's across the line from them in Gerald McCoy, and it was Hopkins who handled him most the night.

Agreed on Hopkins. At this point, he should be #1 on the depth chart at RG.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Look man...i'm just glad we have another Oline thread, to talk about the Oline. 

Cause those other 3 were boring me to tears. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Just realized I don't think I watched Boling on one play. In fact, I almost never watch him. Probably because I don't have to, I know he is reliable. Next game, I'll have to focus on him a bit....
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would give him credit...

Willie doesn't want to coach. It's a whole different level of stress and workload. 
He's said many times he doesn't want to. 
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would give him credit...

Alexander is the Man..  :andy:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2017/08/12/alexanders-average-nfl-coach/104532112/
Reply/Quote
To OP, if you're having to resort to a Logos argument, to defend the OL, then they are seriously not playing well enough to gain affirmation on their own merit.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 05:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Just realized I don't think I watched Boling on one play. In fact, I almost never watch him. Probably because I don't have to, I know he is reliable. Next game, I'll have to focus on him a bit....

Yeah, very underrated Guard. Much better run blocker than Zeitler and is good in pass protection.

Saw numerous run plays Friday where he got down field in the running game for both Mixon and Hill.

Awesome seeing the RG run block well for once. Hopkins just might be the real deal.

(08-14-2017, 06:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Willie doesn't want to coach. It's a whole different level of stress and workload. 
He's said many times he doesn't want to. 

Damn. Sad

(08-14-2017, 06:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Alexander is the Man..  :andy:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2017/08/12/alexanders-average-nfl-coach/104532112/

Dude is average at best. Pretty good at coaching up pass protection but has been bad in the past coaching up run blocking.

We can definately get a better O-line coach if we looked around.
Reply/Quote

Agreed.
Reply/Quote