Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The OH My Heavens MDD Simulation
Let me just say upfront that I have no expectation of the draft falling like this simulation did but if it did I would party for days!

Reply/Quote
RD.1 - 18th Selection:

Joe Alt - OT - Notre Dame - 6'8" 315

Well the issues at RT are not fixed. Alt would step in on day 1 as RT and your heir apparent at LT once your contract is up with Orlando Brown Jr. That is unless of course you can get Brown to agree to move to RT before his contract is up. Either way you have one hellacious pair of bookend tackles to protect the franchise. I believe Fashanu and Alt are the two best tackles in this class and which goes first could be up in the air. In this simulation both Latham and Fuaga went before Alt which is why he is there for the Bengals. I doubt that happens but I have seen stranger things in a draft as well.

The Bengals land a steal in round 1 and solidify the edges of the O line for several years.

Round 2 - 49th Selection:

T'Vondre Sweat - DT - Texas - 6'4" 340

Unbelievably the Bengals end up with back to back steals while adding massive upgrades to both lines. The Bengals unfortunately found out how hard it was to stop the run without Reader. If Reader comes back then you have someone to rotate with him without a drop off in run stopping ability. If Reader does not return then you have a day 1 starter to fill that void at a very high level. Sweat is exactly the ticket for the Bengals on the D line and will command double teams which he has shown the ability to defeat on a pretty regular basis. 

Another high value get for the Bengals in back to back rounds that fall right into their needs as well.

RD. 3 - 80th Selection:

Christian Haynes - OL - UConn - 6'2.5" 318

Next to RT some may consider LG to be the next biggest upgrade needed. There are many that feel that Haynes is one of the most NFL ready interior linemen in the draft and that he is ready to make a day 1 impact for an offensive line. He is an elite football IQ player that is extremely sound in virtually all areas of the game. He has shown natural power and athleticism and is a true drive blocker in the run game. Is he a perfect prospect? No he is not. Will he be making a step up in competition level? Yes he absolutely will but he showed at the Senior Bowl that he is up to the task.

The Bengals get very lucky when what appears to be a massive upgrade at guard falls right in their laps. Another high value selection that falls in line with needs.

RD. 4 - 116th Selection:

Brenden Rice - WR - USC - 6'2" 212

Are you kidding me right now? The son of the one and only Jerry Rice is sitting here for the Bengals who more than likely lose Tyler Boyd to free agency and possibly Tee Higgin as well if he does not play a season under the franchise tag. Rice sports elite level hands, awareness, and ball skills which is not shocking considering who his father is. I have no illusion that Brenden will be as good as his father but he has he appearance of an NFL ready receiver that should contribute early. What an outstanding addition to the WR room for the Bengals and as they like Rice is versatile and is comfortable being on the boundary or in the slot.

Huge value in the 4th!

RD. 5 - 148th Selection:

Will Shipley - RB -  Clemson - 5'11" 210

Some may argue that there is not a more complete back in this draft than Shipley. He is a back that has produced in every facet of the game. Shipley brings high end explosion and acceleration to go with elite vision. He is a natural receiver out of the backfield and just like he is as a runner is very productive after the catch. While he is not a devastating blocker in pass protection he does understand blocking and is willing. He has struggled with some injuries but his production when healthy is outstanding. The pairing of Chase Brown and Will Shipley could absolutely end the Mixon era in Cincinnati and give them a very exciting young tandem to elevate their running game to the next level.

I really like this addition for the Bengals offense.

RD. 5 - 175th Selection:

Ben Sinnott - TE - Kansas State - 6'4" 254

As a blocker Sinnott is technically sound playing from the H-Back position or as an inline blocker. As he gets stronger within an NFL strength and conditioning program his blocking should improve even more. As a receiving threat he has been very productive over the past two seasons where he went 80 receptions for 10 TDs and over 1,000 yards. Has good speed and for a TE he runs a rather broad route tree. Sinnott should be a nice addition to the room with Tanner Hudson. Again, this is a high value selection as he is near the top of the board and falls right into need for the Bengals.

RD. 6 - 196th Selection:

Luke McCaffrey - WR - Rice - 6'1.5" 202

Get out this can't be for real! The Bengals add not one but two NFL legacy receivers to a room that is in danger of losing two of it's main weapons between this season and next. McCaffrey is an elite football IQ player just like his brother and father. He is extremely sound in all the technical aspects of the game and while he does not have elite speed he does have enough speed to threaten the backend of a defense. Luke has shown no fear of operating in the middle of the field and in traffic and is productive bringing in contested catches. Just another excellent acquisition for the Bengals late in the '24 draft and another player that strengthens the offensive arsenal for this team.

RD. 7 - 235th Selection:

Kamal Hadden - CB - Tennessee - 6'1" 197

Hadden is a long and physical corner who has shown very good ball skills. Will need to continue to develop his man cover skills and has been a bit more productive in zone schemes but overall brings a solid foundation to the position. Hadden has the long speed for the position but will have to refine some technique issues and learn to trust his abilities at the NFL level.

RD. 7 - 252nd Selection:

Eric Watts - DE - UConn - 6'5" 277

Watts is a young developing DE prospect that brings the natural strength, athleticism, and physicality to become a productive NFL rusher. To be in a room with Hendrickson and Hubbard as young and developing rusher is a major windfall for Watts. Not only are these both productive NFL rushers that can teach him how to do it on the field but they are both outstanding locker room character players that can teach him how to do it off the field as well. Should be a great situation for a kid with the physical gifts that Watts has.
Reply/Quote
I just can't believe that Sweat would be there at 49 tho.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 11:12 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I just can't believe that Sweat would be there at 49 tho.

I know ima get killed for this but remember how far Billings fell? I remember him with a early second round grade and he went in the 4th cuz all he offered was a run stuff no pass rush. I feel like and maybe others feel that may have him fall
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 11:12 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I just can't believe that Sweat would be there at 49 tho.

I don't think Sweat gets out of the 1st round.
Reply/Quote

(02-21-2024, 04:13 AM)pulses Wrote: I don't think Sweat gets out of the 1st round.

Every SIM that I've run has had him available at #49. Pure NTs just don't go as high as 3Ts, likely because they are less of a pass rush threat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 08:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every SIM that I've run has had him available at #49. Pure NTs just don't go as high as 3Ts, likely because they are less of a pass rush threat.

But he's not a pure NT.  I watched every Texas game and he was constantly putting pressure on the QB, even when doubled.

If he comes to the combine in shape, he's not getting out of the 1st round.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 10:23 AM)Stewy Wrote: But he's not a pure NT.  I watched every Texas game and he was constantly putting pressure on the QB, even when doubled.

Where is his ceiling in the draft? He's probabaly not going top 20 so uhh Arizona and Buffalo at 27 and 28 are good spots although Buffalo may go Troy Franklin if he's there to keep KC from taking him and boundary receivers fall off after round 2. Texans at 23 is probably ceiling for Sweat.  
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 10:23 AM)Stewy Wrote: But he's not a pure NT.  I watched every Texas game and he was constantly putting pressure on the QB, even when doubled.

His stats look like that of a NT

Attached Files Image(s)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I could certainly see Sweat being there at 49 but I as well would not be shocked to see him go closer to the top of the second. Sunset brings a mighty good point when you look at the stat sheet on Sweat. I believe we all feel he is a great fit for the Bengals but the position does not light up a stat sheet. However, the importance of a guy like Sweat is his ability to eat up double teams and still apply pressure while keeping other players clean. What is that worth to each individual team at the end of the day.

Many people are enamored with the inside pass rush of a Donald type player rather than the space eating pocket push of a Reader.

All I know is that I would be one very happy Bengals fan if the draft rolled out anything close to this.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 10:13 PM)OSUfan Wrote: RD.1 - 18th Selection:

Well the issues at RT are not fixed. Alt would step in on day 1 as RT and your heir apparent at LT once your contract is up with Orlando Brown Jr. That is unless of course you can get Brown to agree to move to RT before his contract is up. Either way you have one hellacious pair of bookend tackles to protect the franchise. I believe Fashanu and Alt are the two best tackles in this class and which goes first could be up in the air. In this simulation both Latham and Fuaga went before Alt which is why he is there for the Bengals. I doubt that happens but I have seen stranger things in a draft as well.

The Bengals land a steal in round 1 and solidify the edges of the O line for several years.

Unbelievably the Bengals end up with back to back steals while adding massive upgrades to both lines. The Bengals unfortunately found out how hard it was to stop the run without Reader. If Reader comes back then you have someone to rotate with him without a drop off in run stopping ability. If Reader does not return then you have a day 1 starter to fill that void at a very high level. Sweat is exactly the ticket for the Bengals on the D line and will command double teams which he has shown the ability to defeat on a pretty regular basis. 

Another high value get for the Bengals in back to back rounds that fall right into their needs as well.

RD. 3 - 80th Selection:

Next to RT some may consider LG to be the next biggest upgrade needed. There are many that feel that Haynes is one of the most NFL ready interior linemen in the draft and that he is ready to make a day 1 impact for an offensive line. He is an elite football IQ player that is extremely sound in virtually all areas of the game. He has shown natural power and athleticism and is a true drive blocker in the run game. Is he a perfect prospect? No he is not. Will he be making a step up in competition level? Yes he absolutely will but he showed at the Senior Bowl that he is up to the task.

The Bengals get very lucky when what appears to be a massive upgrade at guard falls right in their laps. Another high value selection that falls in line with needs.

RD. 4 - 116th Selection:

Are you kidding me right now? The son of the one and only Jerry Rice is sitting here for the Bengals who more than likely lose Tyler Boyd to free agency and possibly Tee Higgin as well if he does not play a season under the franchise tag. Rice sports elite level hands, awareness, and ball skills which is not shocking considering who his father is. I have no illusion that Brenden will be as good as his father but he has he appearance of an NFL ready receiver that should contribute early. What an outstanding addition to the WR room for the Bengals and as they like Rice is versatile and is comfortable being on the boundary or in the slot.

Huge value in the 4th!

RD. 5 - 148th Selection:

Some may argue that there is not a more complete back in this draft than Shipley. He is a back that has produced in every facet of the game. Shipley brings high end explosion and acceleration to go with elite vision. He is a natural receiver out of the backfield and just like he is as a runner is very productive after the catch. While he is not a devastating blocker in pass protection he does understand blocking and is willing. He has struggled with some injuries but his production when healthy is outstanding. The pairing of Chase Brown and Will Shipley could absolutely end the Mixon era in Cincinnati and give them a very exciting young tandem to elevate their running game to the next level.

RD. 5 - 175th Selection:

As a blocker Sinnott is technically sound playing from the H-Back position or as an inline blocker. As he gets stronger within an NFL strength and conditioning program his blocking should improve even more. As a receiving threat he has been very productive over the past two seasons where he went 80 receptions for 10 TDs and over 1,000 yards. Has good speed and for a TE he runs a rather broad route tree. Sinnott should be a nice addition to the room with Tanner Hudson. Again, this is a high value selection as he is near the top of the board and falls right into need for the Bengals.

RD. 6 - 196th Selection:

Get out this can't be for real! The Bengals add not one but two NFL legacy receivers to a room that is in danger of losing two of it's main weapons between this season and next. McCaffrey is an elite football IQ player just like his brother and father. He is extremely sound in all the technical aspects of the game and while he does not have elite speed he does have enough speed to threaten the backend of a defense. Luke has shown no fear of operating in the middle of the field and in traffic and is productive bringing in contested catches. Just another excellent acquisition for the Bengals late in the '24 draft and another player that strengthens the offensive arsenal for this team.

RD. 7 - 235th Selection:

Hadden is a long and physical corner who has shown very good ball skills. Will need to continue to develop his man cover skills and has been a bit more productive in zone schemes but overall brings a solid foundation to the position. Hadden has the long speed for the position but will have to refine some technique issues and learn to trust his abilities at the NFL level.

RD. 7 - 252nd Selection:

Watts is a young developing DE prospect that brings the natural strength, athleticism, and physicality to become a productive NFL rusher. To be in a room with Hendrickson and Hubbard as young and developing rusher is a major windfall for Watts. Not only are these both productive NFL rushers that can teach him how to do it on the field but they are both outstanding locker room character players that can teach him how to do it off the field as well. Should be a great situation for a kid with the physical gifts that Watts has.
Not a fan of Shipley he is atrocious when it comes to pass blocking....probably even worse than Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 09:09 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Let me just say upfront that I have no expectation of the draft falling like this simulation did but if it did I would party for days!

If Alt somehow fell to 18, I think this is a great draft when thinking about BPA.
However, put me in the camp of no drafted IOL will supplant Volson, Karras, and Cappa this year.
The only open spot for starting reps will be RT on the OL.

Personally, I'd maybe rather add more interior pass rush instead of IOL, but I can understand your logic with Williams, Ford, and Scharping entering FA. Bengals will need OL depth if anything. And they would have 4 DTs on their roster with Sweat to go along with Hill, Carter, and Tufele. I'm sure they could pick up a cheap veteran if they really wanted a 5th. If Reader does return, it probably wouldn't be more than 2 year deal just to give Sweat some development time before thrusting into a starter role.

I'm a fan of your Day 3 pass catchers, but I don't see Rice nor McCaffrey starting Year 1.
Given your blurb about Higgins and Boyd in there, who would you have starting along with Chase in 2024?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 10:13 PM)OSUfan Wrote: RD.1 - 18th Selection:

RD. 3 - 80th Selection:

RD. 4 - 116th Selection:

Huge value in the 4th!

RD. 5 - 148th Selection:

RD. 5 - 175th Selection:

RD. 6 - 196th Selection:

RD. 7 - 235th Selection:

RD. 7 - 252nd Selection:

Some might even be shocked when Rice's team mate Tahj Washington ends up being a better player. He also returns kicks which we happen to like. That came from Brett Kollmann...just some interesting info.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 04:13 AM)pulses Wrote: I don't think Sweat gets out of the 1st round.

There's a Glutton of DT's this year, It's very possible he falls due to QB's, WR's and OL getting drafted first with everyone thinking DT in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 06:04 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: There's a Glutton of DT's this year, It's very possible he falls due to QB's, WR's and OL getting drafted first with everyone thinking DT in the 2nd.

Is it really "falling" if that's exactly where many have him slotted to be taken?  The first round is only 32 picks, not enough room for all the good players to be 1st round picks...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 05:15 PM)pulses Wrote: Not a fan of Shipley he is atrocious when it comes to pass blocking....probably even worse than Mixon.

Not every back is going to be a stud in pass protection. The Bengals have Brown who is very good and will probably be the lead back if Mixon is gone. Are you saying Gibbs was not productive for Detroit? He is not a real pass protector either. It is referred to as situational football and all good teams know how to play it.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 05:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Alt somehow fell to 18, I think this is a great draft when thinking about BPA.
However, put me in the camp of no drafted IOL will supplant Volson, Karras, and Cappa this year.
The only open spot for starting reps will be RT on the OL.

Personally, I'd maybe rather add more interior pass rush instead of IOL, but I can understand your logic with Williams, Ford, and Scharping entering FA. Bengals will need OL depth if anything. And they would have 4 DTs on their roster with Sweat to go along with Hill, Carter, and Tufele. I'm sure they could pick up a cheap veteran if they really wanted a 5th. If Reader does return, it probably wouldn't be more than 2 year deal just to give Sweat some development time before thrusting into a starter role.

I'm a fan of your Day 3 pass catchers, but I don't see Rice nor McCaffrey starting Year 1.
Given your blurb about Higgins and Boyd in there, who would you have starting along with Chase in 2024?

Volson graded out at 58.3 overall and you do not feel there is a player on the interior capable of upgrading at LG? I believe there are probably 6 or 7 players that could step in day 1 on the interior and grade out higher than that as rookies.

I guess I am not nearly as scared of rookies as many other people are. I believe that Rice and McCaffrey both are savvy enough players, which could have much to do with their genes, that they could be very early contributors for the Bengals. I believe that Irwin or Iosivas either one could step in across from Chase and I believe Charlie Jones could be big time in the slot.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 09:30 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not every back is going to be a stud in pass protection. The Bengals have Brown who is very good and will probably be the lead back if Mixon is gone. Are you saying Gibbs was not productive for Detroit? He is not a real pass protector either. It is referred to as situational football and all good teams know how to play it.

Comparing Shipley to Gibbs is hilarious in itself Hilarious  But the Bengals drafting another RB that is even worse in pass blocking than Mixon is not gonna happen.That doesn't help Burrow at all. Better RB's who fit what we need than him at that spot. Rather have a guy who is decent in pass pro and can do other things to which we can get then and that's not shipley.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 07:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it really "falling" if that's exactly where many have him slotted to be taken?  The first round is only 32 picks, not enough room for all the good players to be 1st round picks...

Yep, it's not really falling, he's just not being picked where his talent level is rated.

It's kinda like when so-n-so says xxx reached for a player. I look at that as, if you think the player won't be there for your next pick, then is it really a reach if that was BPA on your board?
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 03:19 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yep, it's not really falling, he's just not being picked where his talent level is rated.

It's kinda like when so-n-so says xxx reached for a player. I look at that as, if you think the player won't be there for your next pick, then is it really a reach if that was BPA on your board?

Man, I was way off.  Turns out that the guy from Draft Wire only sees 20 players as 1st round talents, only 2 of them being interior DL, and T'Vondre Sweat isn't one of them.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/2024-nfl-draft-caleb-williams-drake-maye-jayden-daniels/

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote