Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The OH My Heavens MDD Simulation
(02-21-2024, 09:35 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Volson graded out at 58.3 overall and you do not feel there is a player on the interior capable of upgrading at LG? I believe there are probably 6 or 7 players that could step in day 1 on the interior and grade out higher than that as rookies.

I guess I am not nearly as scared of rookies as many other people are. I believe that Rice and McCaffrey both are savvy enough players, which could have much to do with their genes, that they could be very early contributors for the Bengals. I believe that Irwin or Iosivas either one could step in across from Chase and I believe Charlie Jones could be big time in the slot.

I didn't say I didn't think LG could be upgraded.
I said I don't think they will boot him out of his starting role.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 10:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't say I didn't think LG could be upgraded.
I said I don't think they will boot him out of his starting role.

Well I guess I will hold out hope that if they draft an interior player that shows to be an upgrade that his job is not safe simply because he was a very average at best starter last season.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 07:49 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well I guess I will hold out hope that if they draft an interior player that shows to be an upgrade that his job is not safe simply because he was a very average at best starter last season.

Volson has a few things going for him; He's a 4th round pick starting on a rookie contract (Cheap), he's well regarded among his teammates, he's shown improvement along with the ability to rebound from a bad game. I don't feel like he's above being subjected to competition if the right player fell into the Bengals lap in the draft.  But I will say this, he's a heck of a lot better than Hakeem Adeniji was when we had to rely on him to play Guard next to Trey Hopkins. 

This OL does not get a lot of love from the ratings at PFF, some of that is earnest on them, but much of it can also be attributed to running plays from formations that put the OL at a disadvantage and a QB that likes to hold onto the ball to the bitter end. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 08:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Volson has a few things going for him; He's a 4th round pick starting on a rookie contract (Cheap), he's well regarded among his teammates, he's shown improvement along with the ability to rebound from a bad game. I don't feel like he's above being subjected to competition if the right player fell into the Bengals lap in the draft.  But I will say this, he's a heck of a lot better than Hakeem Adeniji was when we had to rely on him to play Guard next to Trey Hopkins. 

This OL does not get a lot of love from the ratings at PFF, some of that is earnest on them, but much of it can also be attributed to running plays from formations that put the OL at a disadvantage and a QB that likes to hold onto the ball to the bitter end. 

Oh, I absolutely agree with your perspectives here. Volson has shown some spans of near brilliance but that should not give him a pass either. I definitely agree that Joe routinely holds the ball far too long which in his case is a curse and a blessing. It is a part of what makes him special but something he needs to learn to temper for the sake of longevity and to make the offense better.

I believe the O line takes a bit of a bad rap as well because of a feature back that does not have top end explosion or acceleration thru the hole and who needs a hole you could drive a truck thru to make truly impactful gains. I believe we as fans got to see how the running game could elevate to the next level with a player with the quickness and burst that Chase Brown brings to the table.

With that said I believe the Bengals must elevate their play on both lines if they wish to consistently compete for SuperBowls.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 07:49 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well I guess I will hold out hope that if they draft an interior player that shows to be an upgrade that his job is not safe simply because he was a very average at best starter last season.

They very well could draft an IOL, but don't be surprised if that player doesn't actually play and they roll with Volson, Karras, and Cappa this year.
They still need IOL depth, and within 2 years we will/could see Karras and Cappa replaced with new guys.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote