Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The OL Thread
49 attempts last night and 2 sacks? We can't complain, but sometimes we still do. Smirk

Not all of those 49 were 2 second throws. Joe just isn't hitting anything over 15 yards right now.

We're probably never going to see the 1988 or 2005 o-lines again, but this group is doing alright. When Joe was getting sacked 9 times in a playoff game, we were right to complain. We've now allowed 5 in 3 games against some of the best the league has to offer.

The offense isn't neutered by the line, it's neutered by whatever is going on with Burrow. In my opinion, anyways.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I know he went up against AAron Donald, but the reason he did most of the night is because he seems to be the week link on the line. Did the Rams expose him last night or is it mostly who he went up against?
Reply/Quote
They exposed him if everyone else has Donald on their team. It doesn’t help that Joe couldn’t move laterally very well. Kinda just stood there and took it. I think the Bengals have given up 5 sacks in three games. A lot of that is quick passes, but still, if that’s true then no complaints here.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just replace night with career and we can call it a day.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
future hall of famers have bad nights every now and then

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Willie Anderson and Anthony Munoz in the house for that.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
He's gotta be better. Jeffery Simmons next week isn't gonna be a cakewalk either.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 08:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: future hall of famers have bad nights every now and then

LOL I was disgusted with him for the most part. Nice run blocking though, on occasion at least 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 07:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just replace night with career and we can call it a day.

Ninja

Get outta my brain!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 04:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Passing on Creed for Jackson Carman hurts my soul.

Could you imagine Creed at C and Karras at LG? Don't spend too much time doing it, you're head will start hurting really bad.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Volson did have a key block in the run play that Mixon scored the td.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 07:39 PM)Hello to everyone Wrote: I know he went up against AAron Donald, but the reason he did most of the night is because he seems to be the week link on the line. Did the Rams expose him last night or is it mostly who he went up against?

He's been that way since he came into the league, but it was extra-obvious when going up an elite talent in Donald.
Premiere pass rushers have honed in on him specifically because he is the weakest link on the OL.

If I'm Taylor and Pollack, I'd give him maybe one more year after this one to get his s**t together before looking at a potential upgrade, and that's only because I drafted him. If it were me personally, I'd be looking for an upgraded starter next offseason if he doesn't come around by the end of the regular season this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's been that way since he came into the league, but it was extra-obvious when going up an elite talent in Donald.
Premiere pass rushers have honed in on him specifically because he is the weakest link on the OL.

If I'm Taylor and Pollack, I'd give him maybe one more year after this one to get his s**t together before looking at a potential upgrade, and that's only because I drafted him. If it were me personally, I'd be looking for an upgraded starter next offseason if he doesn't come around by the end of the regular season this year.

Burrow dropped back 51 times, he was sacked twice. Donald is the best DL in the game and the OL gave up 2 sacks with a sitting duck QB who can barely move.

I think our fans expectations are beyond realistic. Great defensive players beat OL each week. Great WR's beat DB's every week. It is expected and I watched Volson again today, overall he did a good job. I am interested to see the grades for each of our 5 starters.

We had no holding penalties on 51 drop backs also, that is very good.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Burrow dropped back 51 times, he was sacked twice. Donald is the best DL in the game and the OL gave up 2 sacks with a sitting duck QB who can barely move.

I think our fans expectations are beyond realistic. Great defensive players beat OL each week. Great WR's beat DB's every week. It is expected and I watched Volson again today, overall he did a good job. I am interested to see the grades for each of our 5 starters.

We had no holding penalties on 51 drop backs also, that is very good.

I bet Matthew Stafford would of rather had the Bengals line last night....

Agree completely with your post.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Last night was not a rough night for Volson; it was normal and that's the worst part.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Three games in and contrary to what some think here the line has done its job pretty decently. Only 5 sacks and pressures not out of line either. And that with an immobile QB. They haven't let any of the elite pass rushers they have faced take over the game. Really the issue has been Burrow being inaccurate mostly from lack of practice and the calf - if he was his usual accuracy self this offense probably has over the three games 7 more touchdowns and likely beat the Rats.

So, once Burrow is more himself this offense should really start scoring a lot more.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 07:39 PM)Hello to everyone Wrote: I know he went up against AAron Donald, but the reason he did most of the night is because he seems to be the week link on the line. Did the Rams expose him last night or is it mostly who he went up against?

Volson had lots of help last night otherwise we lose.
The key is this, Burrow was upright throughout the game and Donald didnt dictate what we could do. PFF rated him zero, really? I dont see that.
Reply/Quote
If by now, Carman can’t play better than Volson did at LG, then he’s a bust.

Geez passed on Creed…
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 04:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Passing on Creed for Jackson Carman hurts my soul.

Creed might suck here with our staff.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 11:55 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Volson had lots of help last night otherwise we lose.
The key is this, Burrow was upright throughout the game and Donald didnt dictate what we could do. PFF rated him zero, really?  I dont see that.

Was that a pun as in he'd have to be invisible to get a 0!?!?
Reply/Quote