Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Offense 2023
(05-10-2023, 01:11 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How many times did Taylor use 4 WRs last season? Or the year before? Or before that?

My source said 18.5 times and to tell onceuponatimeinspace
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 11:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote:  

If a lot depends on Iosivas we are screwed, barring injury Im not sure they expect him to do much this year. 

Same thing I thought upon reading that sentence. I hope our season doesn't depend on two rookie WR's.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 09:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Same thing I thought upon reading that sentence. I hope our season doesn't depend on two rookie WR's.

In relation to 4 WR sets.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Two things they are excited about and that’s their size on the left side and elimination of negative plays in the running game.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 09:30 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: In relation to 4 WR sets.

It would probably be Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Jones (if he can elevate himself above the veterans already on the roster.) I doubt Iosavis would get many snaps.

If the Bengals increase the number of times they use 10 personnel it would total 2% of their offensive snaps.

So Iosivas might get a handful of snaps of a handful of snaps.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 11:23 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Two things they are excited about and that’s their size on the left side and elimination of negative plays in the running game.

Really?

And when they told you this, they didn’t tell you how often they plan on using 10 personnel grouping? That’s odd considering your interest. I’m surprised you didn’t ask so you could tell us what they are thinking on that, too.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 11:23 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Two things they are excited about and that’s their size on the left side and elimination of negative plays in the running game.

If the Bengals only roll with 6, I can see:
Outside WRs - Chase, Higgins, Irwin, Iosivas
Slot WRs - Boyd, Jones

If they care to carry a 7th, I think it would be Morgan.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 03:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals only roll with 6, I can see:
Outside WRs - Chase, Higgins, Irwin, Iosivas
Slot WRs - Boyd, Jones

If they care to carry a 7th, I think it would be Morgan.

Simmons likes Morgan and he’s from Nebraska (Zac) lol. I’d imagine Iogais has to make a run at Special Teams

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 03:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Simmons likes Morgan and he’s from Nebraska (Zac) lol. I’d imagine Iogais has to make a run at Special Teams

Yes but the Bengals need some receivers who can do something in an offense if one of their starters goes down.
Trenton Irwin was ok, but the offense definitely lacked juice when Boyd went down.
Charlie Jones probably isn't going to see much time outside, so they need a guy with potential to groom behind Chase and Higgins.
Morgan is a ST-only guy. Basically a non-factor on offense.
If Iosivas can play ST about as well or better than Morgan, he'll make it over him. I thought I read/heard he could play ST decently well, so I'm optimistic on that front.
Both could make it though if they want to keep 7 WRs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 03:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes but the Bengals need some receivers who can do something in an offense if one of their starters goes down.
Trenton Irwin was ok, but the offense definitely lacked juice when Boyd went down.
Charlie Jones probably isn't going to see much time outside, so they need a guy with potential to groom behind Chase and Higgins.
Morgan is a ST-only guy. Basically a non-factor on offense.
If Iosivas can play ST about as well or better than Morgan, he'll make it over him. I thought I read/heard he could play ST decently well, so I'm optimistic on that front.
Both could make it though if they want to keep 7 WRs.

Jones can play outside. And you are right they are excited about his special teams promise. It’ll be interesting to see the final roster in regards to WR

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 04:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Jones can play outside. And you are right they are excited about his special teams promise. It’ll be interesting to see the final roster in regards to WR

He played both inside and outside in college, but I don't see a 175 lb guy succeeding too much outside in the NFL.
Occasionally he might be out there to run some deep routes, but he's predominantly going to be in the slot.
At least that's my best guess.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 04:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Jones can play outside. And you are right they are excited about his special teams promise. It’ll be interesting to see the final roster in regards to WR

Jones will be abused on the outside.

He's strictly slot, with an occasional outside look.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 01:11 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How many times did Taylor use 4 WRs last season? Or the year before? Or before that?

When your 4th WR is Trenton Irwin or Mike Thomas, running 4 WR stuff seems kinda dumb. 

With Jones, and maybe Iosivas, it is a more attractive option. We won't run it a ton. Especially until Brown (or Mixon) proves he can pass block. But on 3rd & long? Yep, we will see it more. 
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 04:30 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Jones will be abused on the outside.

I understand he’s a slot but I also knew he played a ton of outside and they liked that versatility. But I agree with others I see him in 4 WR sets taking the slot on one side.

Ravens Site Ebony Bird
Charlie Jones has the size of your typical slot wideout, but he spent most of his career out wide. Per PFF, Jones was on the outside 74% of the time. At his size, he has to win with sharp timing and route running, and he did just that.

Iowa SB Nation

Jones’ versatility and explosiveness could have been an immediate upgrade to a passing game that has been sorely lacking both qualities this season. Jones can line up anywhere on the field and has the speed and route running abilities to create separation on the outside or do serious damage from the slot. Jones has used his excellent speed and body control to emerge as a deep threat downfield,

Reply/Quote

And I said can play outside if needed

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 05:03 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And I said can play outside if needed

And I say if they "Need" him to play outside they have problems.
Reply/Quote

(05-10-2023, 05:03 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And I said can play outside if needed

To be fair, you just said "can play outside" originally, you didn't specify "if needed."
The implication from just generally saying "can play outside" can come off as he could be a full-time or mostly outside guy.
I assume that implication is why BB is saying Jones will get abused outside if used more often than an occasional look.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 05:09 PM)BengalBob Wrote: And I say if they "Need" him to play outside they have problems.

(05-10-2023, 05:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: To be fair, you just said "can play outside" originally, you didn't specify "if needed."
The implication from just generally saying "can play outside" can come off as he could be a full-time or mostly outside guy.
I assume that implication is why BB is saying Jones will get abused outside if used more often than an occasional look.

Ha ha fair enough. I did stick that in there the later post. My point was meant that he’s versatile. I think he is. Never meant he’d be a full time OWR. BengalBob convinced more than me he’s a disaster on the outside lol.

Reply/Quote

Callahan on the Locked on Bengals podcast said he’d play all 3 positions. He was not strictly a slot.

https://youtu.be/I7480SI1qhI

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 11:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Callahan on the Locked on Bengals podcast said he’d play all 3 positions. He was not strictly a slot.

https://youtu.be/I7480SI1qhI

Don't know why Bob is saying Chuck Sizzle cannot play on the outside. He burned a lot of Corners in college playing on the 
outside including our guy DJ Turner a few times.
Reply/Quote